Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing guitar for 12 years and I can tell you the sound will vary only very slightly between models if not for the pickups. So, get whichever one you like best and then put whatever pick ups in it sound best for what style of music you like to play for the optimal set up.

The rest depends on pre-amps, amps, pedals, and equalizers. And very slightly cables (don't buy into Monster go with something like Proco Lifelines) and speakers/cabinets.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Epiphone makes some pretty good guitars, it's not like Squire vs. Fender (where Squire is complete garbage). Gibson guitars are nice, but you pay as much for the name as you do the instrument.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bob Loblaw said:
I've been playing guitar for 12 years and I can tell you the sound will vary only very slightly between models if not for the pickups.
This is only true for instruments that use similar woods and build methods. A Strat will sound quite different to a Les Paul even with identical pickups, due to the harder wood, longer scale, and bolt on neck vs. set neck. Les Pauls made by Gibson and Epiphone will sound quite similar though.

Edit: Automerge failed.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
Bob Loblaw said:
I've been playing guitar for 12 years and I can tell you the sound will vary only very slightly between models if not for the pickups.
This is only true for instruments that use similar woods and build methods. A Strat will sound quite different to a Les Paul even with identical pickups, due to the harder wood, longer scale, and bolt on neck vs. set neck. Les Pauls made by Gibson and Epiphone will sound quite similar though.

Edit: Automerge failed.

Yeah. That's what I was telling him. Because he was asking about les pauls and the Epiphone and Gibson builds of the les paul are basically identical. I wouldn't have given him this advice had he asked about, say, a Jackson Dinky and Gibson or a Strat and an Epiphone
tongue.gif

acoustic.digital

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
actually, if you wanna spend around $400 - $800, why not buying an expensive model from the epiphone collection? the custom or artist models are pretty good; i tested the slash sig model, sounds fairly good. but the standard and studio models are crap, don't even bother testing them out. thee feel of these guitars is totally different to an actual les paul, and i didn't like them at all.

visit www.epiphone.com and check these models out
smile.gif

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bob Loblaw said:

And very slightly cables (don't buy into Monster go with something like Proco Lifelines) and speakers/cabinets.

Supposedly cables do NOT matter what so ever. Monster cables were compared to coat hanger wire and not a single person (audiophiles and regular folk) could tell the difference. The only thing you really pay for with your cables is build quality/how long they will last. Sound quality is not effected a single iota.

[on-topic]
I'm a firm believer that you have to play a guitar before you buy it. Need to know if it feels right. When you find that guitar, you just know it. Go to your local Guitar Center, or whatever large guitar warehouse you have nearby, and just play all of them. You'll know when it's the right one.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then get your friend to take you to any music store. You need to play it. It would be pretty silly to buy a guitar without knowing what it feels like or if the sound variations work for whatever you are doing. You must play. :-P

acoustic.digital

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
No, my mom is a christ fag so she hates all rock :'(
how dare you! xD
if you're an absolute beginner, its always god to have a good guitar because its a lot more fun to learn with an awesome guitar. but i think you could get good guitars for even less money, because you're not looking for a good sounding guitar but a good feeling one.
try and find every single music shop in your town, and check everything out : )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol