Homebrew Discussion What brand is your eXfat formatted SD card did it corrupt?

Caleb Metzger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently SanDisk SD cards have a 16mb unallocated partition which sandisk has this to say about "You may leave the 16MB unallocated space as it is. A portion of the total capacity is used to store certain functions including optimizations of the memory that support performance and endurance and therefore is not available for user storage.“ could this be a reason why some sd cards corrupt and others don’t? Any responses appreciated

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used Samsung, constantly corrupted on me. Switched to silicon power, never corrupted. Also been using sandisk, no corruption either.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't mean to hijack this thread but the developers at ReiNX made a Google Survey for people to fill out that includes a lot more risk factors besides brand that has a better chance at identifying the source of corruption than this place. Here is a link to the survey: https://goo.gl/forms/2FQJe4rJy9an0vz82

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't mean to hijack this thread but the developers at ReiNX made a Google Survey for people to fill out that includes a lot more risk factors besides brand that has a better chance at identifying the source of corruption than this place. Here is a link to the survey: https://goo.gl/forms/2FQJe4rJy9an0vz82
I have not had corruption with my samsung sd, I filled out the survey, ty for linking that.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

thanks, but can we see the results?

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I connect my sandisk in my computer, if I try to copy something to it, it disconect after a few seconds. It even does that if I try to run a test with h2testw.

However, if I use ftp server to transfer files directly to Switch, the microSD card still accept them without any problem or disconnection. I am starting to think there is a problem with Windows that just break my card (I tried on another computer and it's the same result too).

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks, but can we see the results?
Sorry, I'm only passing word of this survey. It was created over a week ago but I don't think it caught much traction after it was posted (it was posted in a few Discord servers and even on reddit). If you head to the ReiSwitched Discord server, you can ask the people who created it for further details.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone I've seen that has corrupted has been using a cheap card or a sandisk card.

Using Samsung and have used homebrew all the time and have had no issues.

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i got 2 times a samsung Evo from a Media Markt (Electronic store chain so no Fake ) and had probs with that

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i use a Sony Cardreader so...

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So people can better trust that the developers of ReiSwitched are working hard towards this exFAT dilemma, I'll share two of their nuggets of information.
  1. Corruption occurs on both FAT32 and exFAT however FAT32 has a way to 'mask' the corruption (what is referred to as journaling) which exFAT severely lacks. This means that corruption is due to the Nintendo Switch and not any homebrew or CFW. The reason corruption even started showing up is most likely due to the fact that exFAT's primary advantage over FAT32 makes it more valuable for hackers than non-hackers.
  2. One of the causes of corruption may be existing homebrew inappropriately. To reduce the chance of corruption, it is highly recommended to exit homebrew without pressing the Home button. Most, if not all, homebrew have a way to exit their application so be sure to utilize that method instead.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So people can better trust that the developers of ReiSwitched are working hard towards this exFAT dilemma, I'll share two of their nuggets of information.
  1. Corruption occurs on both FAT32 and exFAT however FAT32 has a way to 'mask' the corruption (what is referred to as journaling) which exFAT severely lacks. This means that corruption is due to the Nintendo Switch and not any homebrew or CFW. The reason corruption even started showing up is most likely due to the fact that exFAT's primary advantage over FAT32 makes it more valuable for hackers than non-hackers.
  2. One of the causes of corruption may be existing homebrew inappropriately. To reduce the chance of corruption, it is highly recommended to exit homebrew without pressing the Home button. Most, if not all, homebrew have a way to exit their application so be sure to utilize that method instead.
For those that use psnes it's R and - to exit game then + and - to exit emulator.

Last edited by Ericthegreat,
Reactions: Draxzelex

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone I've seen that has corrupted has been using a cheap card or a sandisk card.

Using Samsung and have used homebrew all the time and have had no issues.
Been using a SanDisk since June, have about 25 error codes in Dev menu, yet to have any corruption

theguyver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 400gb sandisk, no issues. I use to have a 128gb ADATA and it was stuck on read only after a month of use.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: HBD 2U