Discussion What brand is your eXfat formatted SD card did it corrupt?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Caleb Metzger, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Caleb Metzger
    OP

Caleb Metzger Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2016
    United States
    Apparently SanDisk SD cards have a 16mb unallocated partition which sandisk has this to say about "You may leave the 16MB unallocated space as it is. A portion of the total capacity is used to store certain functions including optimizations of the memory that support performance and endurance and therefore is not available for user storage.“ could this be a reason why some sd cards corrupt and others don’t? Any responses appreciated

2. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    I generally use sandisk, no corruption.

Caleb Metzger likes this.
  3. jlucasp25

jlucasp25 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2014
    Portugal
    Porto
    Toshiba, never had a problem.

4. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa Planeptunes Male CPU

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Planeptune
    Sandisk

5. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Used Samsung, constantly corrupted on me. Switched to silicon power, never corrupted. Also been using sandisk, no corruption either.

6. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Don't mean to hijack this thread but the developers at ReiNX made a Google Survey for people to fill out that includes a lot more risk factors besides brand that has a better chance at identifying the source of corruption than this place. Here is a link to the survey: https://goo.gl/forms/2FQJe4rJy9an0vz82

7. Sora Takihawa

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Planeptune
    samsung corrupted on me changed to sandisk

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

thanks @Draxzelex

8. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I have not had corruption with my samsung sd, I filled out the survey, ty for linking that.

9. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States

thanks, but can we see the results?

10. Giga_Gaia

Giga_Gaia GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 12, 2006
    Canada
    Quebec, Canada
    When I connect my sandisk in my computer, if I try to copy something to it, it disconect after a few seconds. It even does that if I try to run a test with h2testw.

However, if I use ftp server to transfer files directly to Switch, the microSD card still accept them without any problem or disconnection. I am starting to think there is a problem with Windows that just break my card (I tried on another computer and it's the same result too).

11. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Sorry, I'm only passing word of this survey. It was created over a week ago but I don't think it caught much traction after it was posted (it was posted in a few Discord servers and even on reddit). If you head to the ReiSwitched Discord server, you can ask the people who created it for further details.

12. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Everyone I've seen that has corrupted has been using a cheap card or a sandisk card.

Using Samsung and have used homebrew all the time and have had no issues.

13. Sora Takihawa

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Planeptune
    i got 2 times a samsung Evo from a Media Markt (Electronic store chain so no Fake ) and had probs with that

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

i use a Sony Cardreader so...

14. XWildcat

XWildcat Member

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2006
    Im using a 256gb Samsung, not had any corruption yet

15. Sora Takihawa

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Planeptune
    but i dont say samsung is bad....i mean it can happen to every brand. i dont trust PNY

16. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    I've used both Samsung Evo cards and SanDisk ones. No issues so far.

17. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    So people can better trust that the developers of ReiSwitched are working hard towards this exFAT dilemma, I'll share two of their nuggets of information.
    1. Corruption occurs on both FAT32 and exFAT however FAT32 has a way to 'mask' the corruption (what is referred to as journaling) which exFAT severely lacks. This means that corruption is due to the Nintendo Switch and not any homebrew or CFW. The reason corruption even started showing up is most likely due to the fact that exFAT's primary advantage over FAT32 makes it more valuable for hackers than non-hackers.
    2. One of the causes of corruption may be existing homebrew inappropriately. To reduce the chance of corruption, it is highly recommended to exit homebrew without pressing the Home button. Most, if not all, homebrew have a way to exit their application so be sure to utilize that method instead.

Maupiti, klear and Mysuke like this.
  18. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    For those that use psnes it's R and - to exit game then + and - to exit emulator.

Last edited by Ericthegreat, Sep 22, 2018
    Draxzelex likes this.
  19. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Been using a SanDisk since June, have about 25 error codes in Dev menu, yet to have any corruption

20. theguyver

theguyver Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2015
    United States
    I have a 400gb sandisk, no issues. I use to have a 128gb ADATA and it was stuck on read only after a month of use.