What bothers you about school?

NicknameGoesHere

RIP my sanity: 2018-2018
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know I've read that the American educations system for the first 5 years anyways is really good. Afterwards however it goes to shit.
It's built to make factory workers. This kind of education does not work in today's society. School is not evolving with our technology, and that is a problem.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What exploits? My school online security is very powerful, and we use Chromebooks lol
Our online security is okay-ish. At first sight, it seems good, but someone cracked the password about a week after it was launched, so we have access to some sites, and then there aare quite a few exploits to gain more sites. People discover exploits about every two months. I'm proud to have discovered two of them. The name is Barracuda.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Litle_Bird

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Currently at University, the thing that bothers me the most, and that's considering school as a whole that today we're not studying to learn really, we're studying to pass the exams, pass the courses, and in the end that's what awards you, good grades that look nice on paper... The thing is as soon as you're forced to actually think it's a dead end since you can't apply when and mostly WHY you should do this in that scenario. Alot of pepole really struggle thinking outside of the box. And the sad thing about this is that the whole concept of thinking outside of the box is lost. And worse, if you do think outside the box you might often lose scores at exams since you didn't think the same way the teacher considers the right way to think

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
@Litle_Bird

The "outside the box" thing is where strong troubleshooting skills come in. In my field (IT) this is basically your bread and butter. You can have all the certs and degrees in the world, but if you don't know how to apply it you are useless.

Thankfully a lot of IT certs have noticed this and have labs in their exams where you actually have to know what you are doing and they are worth the most points.

The education system could benfit from looking into something like that.

Reactions: Litle_Bird

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a pretty swell time in high school, but I do have some complaints. Some of these may no longer apply because I went to school a million years ago.

My first complaint is the lack of courses. If you wanted to learn "X" foreign language, or "Y" specific skill set, you were out of luck. Unless you went to a rich person high school that offered those things, (which depends on where you live, and that depends on your parents' income), you'd never have the opportunity to learn what you are actually interested in.
(My school only offered Spanish and German, while others offered Japanese, Arabic, French, etc. That same rich person school offered computer science courses and other introductory programming courses, while my school didn't own any computers. Again, I went to high school a LONG time ago)

2nd major gripe is that you are punished for experimenting with new things if you aren't immediately fantastic at it. Say you took Spanish for a year, and were okay at it, but you also want to see what German is about. You take the German course the next year, but then realize you suck at it. Depending on the school, you aren't allowed to switch courses and have to struggle through the entire quarter/trimester/semester and get a garbage grade. To add insult to injury, your school requires at least 3 years of a language, so now you take Spanish II the next year, except you forgot everything from Spanish I because you took German in between (Or you could take German II and fail harder).

3rd gripe is the permanency of everything and the inherent unfairness of income or body type. Oh you got a D in a foreign language course? Say goodbye to any school with a high GPA requirement or potential academic scholarships. Want to volunteer for something to build your resume? Oh, you have two working parents and need to stay home to watch your little sister when she comes back from elementary school. Want to try out for a sport so you can aim for a sports scholarship? Nah, you are just a frail, 80 lbs kid who will probably break at any physical contact. You'll never get off the bench even if they let you on the team. The school also doesn't have a chess team or anything intellectual, because those aren't popular and nobody is allowed to start anything because the school doesn't have the room, the staff, and/or can't afford it.
(My school only had a basketball team, a football team, and a very poorly funded/unpopular soccer team. Surprisingly there wasn't a baseball team. There was a band, but you had to buy your instrument, and I was not doing that. I was not interested in instruments, so it didn't matter)

Then we have the ever-raising education standards and the ever-raising cost of tuition. Want to see if being a welder or something is cool? Sorry, no Vocational-Technical school. What? You don't even know what a welder is? Your school made no mention of any trades? You think every job requires a college degree because your high school only teaches for college prep? I guess your only shot is to study hard and then go to college, otherwise you'll be stuck working at the factory with your dad making slightly more than minimum wage.

College brings about a new set of problems, but there are some cool things you can do (Academic Restart saved my future).

First and foremost issue is the cost. If you had crap grades and couldn't get any scholarships, you had to take out loans. Otherwise, you were basically forced to go to a community college (a great deal by the way) and try to get your basic stuff out of the way, assuming you even knew what you wanted to do at that point. You also had to make sure the 4-year school you wanted to go to in the future even accepted credits from the local community college.

Second issue with college was the caliber of students. If you came to terms with the fact that you aren't a talented person and are also poor, that meant that you had to take courses at a cheap public college/university with a large number of other poor and untalented individuals. This leads to a lot of wasted time in classrooms where people are asking questions because everything is beyond their understanding. You also run the risk of dealing with a lot of drug/illegal activity. The cheaper the place you go, the higher the crime rate. I've known people to have their books stolen because of how overpriced they were. There were also issues with rampant drug use in the dorms and loud, obnoxious alcoholics.

I could go on and on, but I feel like my wall of text is lengthy enough as it is.

Reactions: osaka35

Litle_Bird

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
@Litle_Bird

The "outside the box" thing is where strong troubleshooting skills come in. In my field (IT) this is basically your bread and butter. You can have all the certs and degrees in the world, but if you don't know how to apply it you are useless.

Thankfully a lot of IT certs have noticed this and have labs in their exams where you actually have to know what you are doing and they are worth the most points.

The education system could benfit from looking into something like that.

Indeed, thankfully that's needed when you're actually having a job and thus you can benefit from what the educational fashion has taught you, It's just really sad that there has been alot of wasted individuals due to a bad education model. Surley there's a difference between each subject, I have never had any real programing or IT education so can't really express my feelings of that.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: byes +1