What are your years long projects (possibly still those in progress)?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fairly simple premise today. What projects are you doing that are years in the making? They don't have to be finished (or maybe even finishable) but still things you are long term into.

So I was watching

I have no interest in trains, never have really. No interest in building a locomotive. Model engineering not my thing either. Machining though, that is why I go to that channel.
Anyway he was detailing the sorts of time investments likely to go into such a project and it was in the several years range.
Learning new things. That is a "until the day I die" project as far as I am concerned, as will collecting tools to do things. Right now I seem to be into sheet metal work -- a book on the matter pretty much blew my mind on the "lost techniques" front a few years back but today I am learning all sorts of things that go into that which I was at best hazy on before. As far as long term projects though I don't think I have had much of anything that lasted longer than a month, or month of vaguely active timelines, since university and nobody really counts final year projects as anything. Of the few things that went a bit further then maybe up in the three month range, though it was not three active months as much as a lot of work then hurry up and wait, and repeat as you know how it is done and the same thing came up again, and maybe some of the legal aspects saw me have to appear on the periphery (I try very very hard never to have my name on legal documents or go into court to testify to things) taking court case timeframes.
Technically I have some of the various documents (see my signature) I write as ongoing affairs but most of those I dash out in a month or so, and most of those are not final stage but might as well be but for a big change in tools appearing (unlikely too terribly soon, at least enough to force a rewrite), minor revisit or finally going back to write the chapter on GBA audio hacking (sappy and such bores me so much, I don't know why but it really does) for my ROM hacking documentation. Do have another document on finding hidden menus and cheats to finish at some point (though there is only so much I can say as far as "look for the odd forks in menu code and it storing button presses despite no real reason to", everything else being buildup to that as it is something of a more involved topic and I would at least want to cover the leadup to it even if I don't teach people assembly in it).
Otherwise it is not that I routinely don't do 18-19 hour days for days on end (I often do) but the sum total of any given project is usually only a month at best and has been the entire time.

Reactions: Alexander1970

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some reasonable soldering kit I haven't used yet, and a Dremel I've used once so far (need to clear out & arrange some proper workspace for both of these), been planning to build up my (currently very basic) soldering skills to a decent level for stuff like console mods, both for myself and potentially to sell stuff. First specific one on the go is I used the Dremel on the case of the GBA I picked up recently to make room for a DSi lower screen, still got to do the soldering step.

Making/coding games is another long-time intention that I put time into sometimes, and then let slide for ages at a time because I'm not great at sticking with the whole attention/motivation thing. Got a particular puzzle game idea from an old game jam that I keep coming back to and furthering a little, but it still needs more to feel like a complete thing. Latest version is an Android port using Godot engine, want to get back on that soon.

Andrew31

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I have a project that I have been doing for about a year and it is redesigning my house. Since I am educated as an architect as well as a designer, I decided to do it myself. Now I am almost at the final stage, where I only need to buy some accessories, as well as appliances, which I mainly plan to buy here https://bathroomer.org/best-alcove-bathtub/ .
I really hope that soon I will be able to finish it and move there to live. I am really looking forward to that moment.

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
Last edited by Deleted member 514389,

Deleted member 545975

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, and good day!

I have for years been on and off onto progressing into an audiovisual demo for PlayStation platforms, and a sound engine for Nintendo Entertainment System: Slowly but becoming increasingly more satisfying activities for myself to practice at!

Reactions: Alexander1970

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My office. God only knows if I’ll ever get around to finishing it. Made some progress the past couple of months though, but I still need a lot more shelving for the rest of my console/computer collection (not to mention other electronics and general gubbins).

It needs a new carpet as well, but considering the rate I destroy them at with spilling coffee and Monster, burning when I’m doing projects and my damn nerve damage makes me spasm, I’m in no hurry to put another one in :D

25523C27-7F87-4A45-85DF-196D80D57DC6.jpeg

4261339A-F07F-4BC1-AED0-F3809CFD4F9B.jpeg

Reactions: Mayo1990

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things