Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4E4F2DC5342D804EC2

This is an open ended discussion to to get feedback from people who have played Xenogears. I'm curious to know your feelings towards the game. Did you enjoy it ?. Did you not enjoy it? Was there a memorable moment in the game for you? etc

Pros
For me personally, I really enjoyed the story. I really liked the mature and complex plot which really deviated from the typical JRPG Cliche of kill the bad guy save the world. There are just so many layers of depth to the story that I could easily spend hours on it. The music in the game is composed by Yasunori Mitsuda (Composer of Chrono Trigger) and honestly the soundtrack is one of the best I have heard in a video game. It manages to do a really effective job at getting you sad during the games somber moments, excited when something is about to pick up, and although the track list is rather short compared to other JRPGS of this era I really feel that the quality of the music matters much more than the quantity. The gameplay is really fun. I found myself really enjoying the gear battles probably even more so than the on foot battles. I also like the added strategic elements that you have to take into consideration when fighting in gears with regards to managing fuel, making sure you have the best equipment for your gear and so on.

Cons
There are a few cons with the game that I do have. The platforming in the game while the majority of the time isn't too bad at certain points in the game can get extremely frustrating (Tower of babel anyone?). The camera can get in the way at times. And then there's disc 2. I'm not going to say Disc 2 isn't good because it is. I'm glad that we got to experience the rest of the story even if it came through a narrated fashion with few boss battles here and there. I just wish that Square would have given Takahashi and his team more time so they could have fully fleshed out Disc 2.

That's just my thoughts on the game overall it's one of the best JRPGS that I have ever played and while it has it's flaws given everything this game does right for me at least they are easily forgiven.

Last edited by wiired24,
Reactions: ignare and Chary

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fantastic game. is xenoblade supposed to be part of the series though? I heard not, but I don't know. xenosaga is, and those games, despite their long text, r pretty good. :P

Reactions: wiired24

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fantastic game. is xenoblade supposed to be part of the series though? I heard not, but I don't know. xenosaga is, and those games, despite their long text, r pretty good. :P

As far as I know Xenosaga is the spiritual successor to Xenogears and is set in the same universe. Xenoblade is pretty much it's own thing and only shares the "Xeno" prefix. It's a bit dissappointing that we will probably never see another game like Xenogears due to the cancellation of Xenosaga which was originally suppoused to span 7 episodes, and Square Owning the rights to Xenogears but not doing jack with the property

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte