What are Your Thoughts on Character Action Games?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by BiggieCheese, Oct 20, 2018.

1. BiggieCheese
    OP

BiggieCheese Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    Character Action Games are stuff like the Devil May Cry series, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, God Hand and Metal Gear Rising. Some people prefer to label them under the Action genre, some might use “Stylish Action” in reference to DMC and Bayonetta, others might just call them Beat Em’ Ups or Hack & Slash games.
    They’re awesome games IMO, they usually have ranking systems for every fight you get in that add up in the end of a level you’re playing. Getting the highest rank; like SSS ranks in Devil May Cry 3 can be quite a challenge that requires knowing the ins and outs of the game’s combat system and its enemies.
    The difficulty modes in them tend to greatly vary as you go higher and higher as well, with different, tougher enemy spawns with increased aggression or even new moves, offering a ton of replay value as you try to master them.
    Anyways, I really, really enjoy these kind of games if it wasn’t obvious enough already, and I wanted to know how my fellow Tempers feel about them.

2. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Bayonetta is a fantastic series, and DMC looks like its a series with a lot of ups and downs, but overall pretty interesting.

3. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I... I think I outgrew them before they were what they are now. These games (I've heard them called "spectacle fighters" by yahtzee) evolved from classic (2d) beat em ups in their fast pace, over the top action/violence and points for style.

...and it just doesn't click with me anymore. Bayonetta 2 is about the last AAA game I've bought full price, but I just couldn't go on at any point. It's hard to put a finger on it, really. I've gotten older of course but I still love the classic double dragon style fighters. Maybe it's the point system that makes it more about maxing out than expression? Maybe it's that it has a higher shock to me because it's more realistic than those cartoony 2d games? Maybe it's just the 3rd dimension that puts less emphasis on high jumps and more on aiming correctly (I had that 2d 'move just above our below enemies' down to an art)? I don't know. It's just .. Not my genre (anymore).

4. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Zzzz

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    HaloEliteLegend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I have very little experience with these kinds of games. I played a little DmC, but that's about it. I haven't played this one either, but would NieR: Automata count? What about Dynasty Warriors games? At any rate, they might be something I could enjoy, as long as playing it feels good. I don't like Dynasty Warriors-style games, for example, that involve a ton of straight up button spamming. I doubt I'll get the time to try one anytime soon, tho.

5. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Haven't really played any of them (except like 5 minutes of DMC). Closest I've played substantially is X-Blades and Ys Origin (if you want to include it). Honestly, they're fun to play in short bursts, but I don't hold a lot of substantial value to them. That's by no means any sort of insult. I just don't get a lot of value out of it because it turns very samey after a while. Exploration/Adventure/Metroidvanias can fall into this trope as well, but the good ones tend to compel me to keep playing because there's enough story/environment to keep it interesting.

Along that vein, a shout out to CrossCode. I'd recommend it especially to people who like tricky action puzzles, pixel art, twin shooters, adventure, etc.