What are your ambitions? are you happy with your life?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by raystriker, Dec 18, 2015.

1. raystriker
    OP

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    I've been trying to find meaning in life lately... Everyone I know is trying to get into a university which slingshots you directly into a 100k job. Some are succeeding, some are still getting there...But there must be a life apart from this right? Are people's ambitions just related to money? Is everyone always trying to get to the top?

Last edited by raystriker, Dec 18, 2015
    Tomato Hentai and HaloEffect17 like this.

2. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    I'm not trying to make it to the top. Honestly, I try to keep my life simple. Just be happy, and I consider that good for me. Everyone has different wants though, but if money is what makes you happy, go for it. If you're happy, then just live one day at a time. If you're happy, and others are not happy with what makes you happy, that is their problem. Haha

3. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    Money can't buy you happiness. Only a better class of misery.

4. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    I love working hard and I am building a business, it feels great.
    In the future I want a beautiful, virtuous wife to have a lot of kids with.

Things are going pretty good so far.

5. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    I couldn't give a flying fuck about money. It's ultimately meaningless. You can't eat it, you can't use it for anything noteworthy, it's just paper, metal and numbers flying around in the digital space. We attach meaning to it, it has no inherent value. I measure my life by a different grading system. I think about the legacy I leave behind when I inevitably die. I'm not rich or famous or anything of the sort. By conventional standards I'm not even remotely successful. But I've made an impact on people's lives. I've helped save lives, change them for the better, done what I can whenever I can to make the world even a tiny bit better. I won't ever feature in magazines or anything but my conscience is clear. I live a decent life with good morals. I don't need to be rich to make that work.

VinsCool, raystriker and MarcusD like this.
  6. MionissNio

MionissNio GBAtemp Regular

Jul 4, 2012
    My life sucks TBH, reading all those anti Islam crimes and Crime Jihad newses make me think daily, how can I be a part of this? I mean how can I solve this situation of the world? Daily I am happy browsing my local news website (Which is Islamic btw) flooded with comments about Hate against my belief, okay, tolerant, I think it is just several opinions and I am not to judge to scold them. Unlike other aggresive replies by other followers which make discussions worse. Besides I know it is not like it. Other instant, boom Jihadi/Muslim Radical crimes increase. I really want to help the world to develop peace and remove this bigoted ideology of terrorism and prove that Muslims are not rage groups of getting offended everytime. To be honest media might be exaggerating but in reality they are portraying what they fear.

I am in some sort of a psychotic state in fear in agony in hope and anxiety that my grades fell and I completely lost thoughts of entertaining myself.

Thomas83Lin likes this.
  7. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    My only goal in life is my outside to reflect who I am on the inside. And honestly money is what's hindering me from doing that. I actually have to fucking pay for my gender, I am not allowed to be fully happy with myself because the world expect me to pay for that. Money isn't buying me happiness, it's a hindrance to me.
    I can't say if I am happy with life because honestly I don't know where my life is going. I want to be happy, but it's hard for me to be happy when I don't feel happy with myself. I want to plan for the future, but I can't even get a handle on planning for today.

8. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Money helps with achieving your other ambitions. You don't have to be stinking rich but having a roof over your head and not starving helps.

Barely scraping by is also not ideal, so everyone strives to be one or several steps ahead. Getting paid puts you there.

That being said, you don't have to go to a university to earn enough money for some comfortable wiggle room. There are some sought after and profitable trades, skills and crafts that could land you employment, or get you self-employed pretty fast.

The trick is not to forget the money is a means to an end, not the end on its own, but believing money is entirely unimportant is a delusion.

vayanui8, zoogie, lampdemon and 3 others like this.
  9. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    If I'm happy with my life?
    Nah.

10. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Work in the city, make a considerable amount and then move to where I've always wanted -- Countryside. Peace, quiet, farm, cultivating and not overcrowded with people.

11. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    Right, money isn't everything. But money enables you to do things.

Ammako likes this.
  12. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    I just want to get money and buy things I want, because I never got that long lasting experience until I turned 19 and was able to buy a 2TB hard drive by myself, without asking my mom. It's snowballed from there, where 2014 and 2015 saw me buy thousands of dollars worth of stuff. I was able to build a PC this year, let alone have a new PC. Everything before that was second hand and outdated. It's really satisfying.

It's not a career, what I do for money, but in my early 20s, material things I wanted, I can now get.

13. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Correct.

A human in this world rarely can go on living without money unless he/she lives in the jungle with tribes or what have you so having money is a human necessity to buy the bare essentials.

14. Muffins

Muffins Banned

Jun 17, 2008
    United States
    Mirrors
    Hopefully with the next elections the ACA will be modified to help cover that, Crystal.

15. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    There is a correlation between more money and more happiness... until one reaches $75,000 a year. After that, there is no correlation between more money and more happiness. For more information: http://www.pnas.org/content/107/38/16489.abstract

I am happy with my life. I started my dream job last year, I make enough money to be more than comfortable, and I've been dating the love of my life for nearly two years.

raystriker likes this.
  16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    "Everyone I know is trying to get into a university which slingshots you directly into a 100k job."
    100k job upon graduating?
    Allow me to laugh harder. Unless you mean 100k rupees which is probably the going rate for a graduate of most things.

"Are people's ambitions just related to money?"
    Not everybody but it seems a lot are. I was doing the comedy routine that is speaking to job agencies and recruiters lately (engineering in the UK is a joke as it is and those people are even more hopeless, however I still find them worth speaking to from time to time as they have some contact with the not so obvious people) and apparently having something interesting to do be a higher priority than money was enough to get a few to do their best fish impression, not as much as when I tried to argue them down on salary but that was at least in part for the comedy.

Anyway I do not have any especially good advice here -- I gave up having any real ambitions years ago and I am pretty much about the self indulgence these days. Then again very little scares me but the notion of ending up with kids and a mortgage is enough to get me to wake up in a cold sweat. Some seem to find this way of things to be terrifying themselves but I am happy enough.

lampdemon and raystriker like this.
  17. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Goals: Be happy.

Am I happy? Not yet.

Has money? Yes

Does it matter? No. I couldn't care less about money.

SLiV3R likes this.
  18. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Seriously?!

19. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    I'll take your money if you couldn't care less about it :P

Tomato Hentai and VinsCool like this.
  20. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    No, I actually need my worked money to eat and buy games. This is better than doing nothing with my unexistent life.

lampdemon likes this.