Hardware What are Wii U discs made of? :)

thekarter104

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone.

First off, this is not a rant, hence the ':)' in the topic title.
Last year, I was playing with my Wii (Not Wii U), but the Wii U was on the same shelf.

For whatever reason, the entire shelf fell down from a height of 2 meters I think.
When everything was in place after I cleaned up the mess, I heard some sort of really loud noise as soon as I turned on the Wii U for the entire time the Wii U was powered on. Tried pressing the eject button to eject the disc, but it didn't work and didn't want to open the Wii U.
After some moving and wobbling with the Wii U, the disc finally came out and the loud noise stopped.

When I looked at the disc: NO SCRATCHES!!!! Game still works perfectly!
It's Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

I remember PS1 discs are very vulnerable to scratches, so I was so surprised that there were no scratches on my Smash disc.

I decided to make this thread after seeing this topic.

Nintendo consoles are pretty much unbreakable.

Last edited by thekarter104,

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone.

Last year, I was playing with my Wii (Not Wii U), but the Wii U was on the same shelf.

For whatever reason, the entire shelf fell down from a height of 2 meters I think.
When everything was in place after I cleaned up the mess, I heard some sort of really loud noise as soon as I turned on the Wii U for the entire time the Wii U was powered on. Tried pressing the eject button to eject the disc, but it didn't work and didn't want to open the Wii U.
After some moving and wobbling with the Wii U, the disc finally came out and the loud noise stopped.

I remember PS1 discs are very vulnerable to scratches, so I was so surprised that there were no scratches on my Smash disc.

They're made from Nintendium of course!

I'm actually pretty sure they're Blu-Ray discs with the same scratch-proof coating (ever try scratching a Blu-Ray?)

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hello everyone.

Did you have your games at 2 meters height? almost 6 foot 7 inches? :o you're crazy!
I'm happy the discs were fine, I remember my ex-girlfriend accidentally kicking over my original PS2 from its standing position. It totally scratched up my copy of Silent Hill 2, that it became unplayable. Had to order a new copy from England because they were hard to find here at the time :P Oh well!

wsquan171

Trophies
XP
Country
China
They're single layer Blu-ray, to be accurate, rather than the commonly used double layered one. Each disk holds around 25GB of data. Even though there's no game even reached 20GB till now.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wonder the type of dye they use for the data layer. better be durable.
Professionally manufactured discs like Wii U game discs don't have a dye layer. They use a layer of aluminum (or some other metal) that was pressed at the factory by a master disc stamp.

Dye layers are only found in recordable discs, e.g. BD-R (or in the case of Wii U, CAT-R).

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Professionally manufactured discs like Wii U game discs don't have a dye layer. They use a layer of aluminum (or some other metal) that was pressed at the factory by a master disc stamp.

Dye layers are only found in recordable discs, e.g. BD-R (or in the case of Wii U, CAT-R).

Yeah your correct. i completely forgot about the difference in pressed vs burnable. lol. for pressed cd-s it is aluminum i think.DVDs might actually be the same.

TheMynx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yep, had it happen with my copy of Sm4sh (stopped working for no reason at all 4 days after I got it), with Darksiders 2 after not playing for a long time, MH3U (i played the shit out of that game though, 1000+ hours) and the list goes on.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found this post wirtten on wikipedia, but it a bit confusing.
Wii U Optical Disc
The Wii U Optical Disc (WUP-006) is the physical game medium for the Wii U, with a capacity of 25 GB. The Wii U system is backward compatible with Wii Optical Discs, but not backward compatible with Nintendo GameCube game discs. The optical discs used for the Wii U differ in appearance from most other optical discs in that they have soft, rounded edges.

The format was developed and supplied by Panasonic, which is one of the major patent holders in Blu-ray technology. It is not clear whether the Wii U Optical Disc is similar in physical design to the Blu-ray physical disc specification. The late Nintendo president, Satoru Iwata stated, "Wii U does not have DVD or Blu-ray playback capabilities. The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didn't warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies."

Perhaps is implying blu-ray movie compatibility was once part of the idea but rejected. Is not important cause we know that already and the wii disc are all DVD format, but wii u disc is made by panasonic, and never admits to being labeled "BLU-RAY DISC" Neither does the list of blu-ray disc users on the blu-ray wiki article. So if is not enough evidence to say Is a blu-ray disc, then maybe is not one.

But the smoothe edges though. :)

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: oh shit where??? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: