What are we going to do about sharing Super Mario Maker 2 Levels on banned/CFW'd switches?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by McRedstoneYT, Jun 26, 2019.

1. McRedstoneYT
    OP

McRedstoneYT GBAtemp Regular

Jan 25, 2017
    United States
    Would the community do something like smashstages.com? or is there going to be a thread on this site, or Reddit...

i already posted this on DarkUmbra, I thought i might as well post it here as well,

Sharing Idea

Last edited by McRedstoneYT, Jun 28, 2019
  2. XerSec

XerSec Member

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2018
    United States
    Just buy the game if you plan on using it to that extent. Don’t need to pirate every game ‍♂️

nachuz, Uqizz and Retroboy like this.
  3. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    Even playing a legitimate copy on a switch running CFW risks a ban.
    This is a good question for those that will be in that scenario.

4. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    I'm buying a copy for online, but i wouldn't mind being able to build stages on my hacked consoles.
    i wonder how safe it'll be just sending them over to the other console through local lan

5. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Buying a game won't help for a banned Switch.

I'm sure something will pop up, with the Wii U and 3DS versions we had OCDM and SMMDB. The 3DS game doesn't even have level-sharing capability, but using OCDM we're still able to share levels, so I'm sure something similar will be made for Mario Maker 2. It might only need minimal upgrades to the tools we already have.

6. XerSec

XerSec Member

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2018
    United States
    Ah forgot to consider the banned switch case.
    I was lucky to only use the emunand for my Hacked switch

7. Sonikkua

Sonikkua GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2011
    United States
    And buying it won’t help with the online user made stages if you’re already banned lol.

8. bootmonster

bootmonster GBAtemp Fan

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    On Wii U people just shared the downloaded levels which are just saves essentially, will most likely be the same.

IpponDatara likes this.
  9. 1NOOB

1NOOB GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2006
    Canada
    Inside My Head...
    in the maker part when you asve your course , there is course_data001.bcd created (also replay and thumb . ) and the 001 is for the save slot of your stage (in my test i had 000 001 009 for example ) , so theres always the raw save way if there is no way to use the downloadable stage option .

[​IMG]

Last edited by 1NOOB, Jun 27, 2019
    focusonme and andyhappypants like this.
  10. Oschara

Oschara GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    this is why i will never hack my switch....this post right here.

11. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 28, 2015
    its easy, buy your game and play it on a console that does not violate nintendo's T&Cs

the chances of those running cfw and actually buying a game is going back to the bullshit claim that people insist they buy their games and never pirate while running cfw which sole purpose is to pirate.

so you want to share levels you make on this game, its easy, but the game, play it on a normal console.

Last edited by Retroboy, Jun 27, 2019
  12. limpbiz411

limpbiz411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    Mario maker wouldn't be the determining factor of hacking my switch or not. I garuntee you someone is gonna make homebrew to where we can share levels. Its just a matter of time.

13. johhnydamage

johhnydamage Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    1. Make a level and copy it in all of your top slots. These slots are 00, 01, 02, and 03. This is important because your save file needs to think you made levels in all those slots.

2. Use a program to backup your save. I personally used Checkpoint.

3. Your levels will show up as the following three files with the numbers changing to match the save slot.:
      course_data_000.bcd, course_replay_000, course_thumb_000.btl, 002, 003, etc.

4. Copy the level you want into your save. You can change the numbers to a slot you desire.
      THIS WILL OVERWRITE THE LEVEL IN THE SLOT! MAKE SURE YOU NUMBER THE SAVE INTO A SLOT YOU DON'T MIND LOSING!

5. Restore the save to system.

6. Boot up SMM2, load the level up, and enjoy.

14. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Don't pirate games you wanna play online.

15. sudh2020

sudh2020 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2019
    Israel
    Where can I find SMM2 levels? (hope the rules let you tell me)

16. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    What do you mean, OP? Banned Switches don't deserve shared levels. They're banned for a reason.

Bedel and KazoWAR like this.
  17. TheZander

TheZander King of the Level 7's

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    Level 7
    Now i don't know anything about stuff but i have an idea. Like the bots with legit certs they use for updates you get a clean cert. Next step is buying the game on the console with the good cert. 3 step is figuring out how update bots work and stuff and have them search for differences in a certain directory like that one user posted but instead it searches the online roster download directory for good levels. Then you download them or some thing. This step now that's after the last one could be combining this idea with that net serv smash stuff have the levels on the server.

The problem with a couple of these steps is that it probably involves keys. Because it game stuff. And I'll never understand keys the ramifications of messing around with keys.

18. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    • Don't pirate games.
    • Buy another console.
    • Cry.
    Those are your best options as I see it.

MrCokeacola and Bladexdsl like this.
  19. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Tbh I don't get that crying here.
    Having a way to share levels "offline" is a valid approach at least for this one reason:

Ninty's servers will be offline at some point in the future!

Also while I don't own the game yet at least I can tell from the Wii U game that your slots for downloading fantastic community levels are limited.
    That means, having an unlimited collection somewhere on a PC or my mSD card which I can inject at any time is a thing I would definitely appreciate and I can't imagine why anyone would not.

Yes, the SMM2 servers might stay online for even 10 years from now on but 10 years != forever.
    I can tell you from SMM1 which had way fewer objects and options (and fewer console sales) that even that lead to countless amazing and creative levels (just check YouTube).
    So SMM levels are definitely a thing we would want to preserve.
    (and why would we preserve them if we won't have a way to inject them into our saves in the future?)

ELY_M, Mchi5, jimmyj and 3 others like this.
  20. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    This point is valid, and I agree... But until that time comes, the freeloading banned users shouldn't have the privilege. So I say wait until they are about to shut it down before making it happen. Cuts out a lot of the entitlement from banned users.

Bedel likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted