Hacking What are the differences between these flash cards?

Dakaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Just bought an original 3DS and looking for this so called "flash card" to play emulators. I've played around psp cfw mod before as well as iphone jailbreaking. My question is what are the differences between these flash cards? Is it the performance? compatibility? I'm seeking advice on what I need to know before I go out and buy one of these flash cards myself, things such as what chip version/firmware version my 3ds needs to be on to use these flash cards, so please help.

I looked around and DSTwo seems to be the one everybody is using because it supports DS Games + GBA Games + GB/GBC Games + Homebrews on 3ds, are there any alternatives to DSTwo? I want all the emulators, and able to play without crashing constantly, thankyou.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
there are few cards that function on the updated DSi/3DS firmware.

please read this:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/which-flash-cart-should-i-get.290097/

if you want more specifics then read our reviews, but please excuse the broken HTML since our server update.
http://gbatemp.net/forums/official-gbatemp-reviews.99/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/r4i-gold-3ds-compatible-review.293386/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/supercard-dstwo-review.232281/

You'll get the most features with the SCDS2, including exclusive emulation (DOS, SNES, GBA, MAME, ATARI, etc). You'll get a great kit with a wonderful kernel (Wood) that offers a high ROM compatibility with the R4i Gold.cn.

Welcome to GBAtemp and the world of Flash Kits.

-Another World

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
There used to be tons of differences, but most flash carts died out and only a few big models remain. Of those, the DSTwo is by far the one with the most emulation potential, as AW said. So now it's generally broken into two categories.

1 - Normal flash carts. Great for DS games, can do some emulators and normal DS homebrew.

2 - DSTwo. Great for DS games, can do more emulators and homebrew, is more expensive.

There is no proper alternative to the DSTwo on the DS... but if you're looking for emulation I really do suggest another device. Flash carts, even on the 3DS, are only given the power of the original 2004-model DS[/url], so you might be sorely disappointed with the emulation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?