Misc What are the current methods of HomePass that would work for me?

Psionatix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I used to have HomePass set up on my Windows 7 laptop using an encrypted hosted network and MacCycle. This has stopped working, from my own understanding, this is because Nintendo Zones no longer allow for an encrypted connection.

The nzone.exe method doesn't work for me, despite my wireless adapter showing the appropriate 1's and 0's on the check, the nzone.exe causes me to bluescreen. Thus I have concluded it is not compatible with my wireless adapter.

For those reading, please understand that StreetPass Riilay won't work on Android 4.4+
Also understand that, this is my situation and experience to it's full extent. Only the 'latest update' edits are particularly relevant to my current issues. Thanks!

I have since tried to use StreetPass Riilay on my phone, rooted, Android 4.4.2. The n3DSXL detects the nintendo zone but doesn't get any streetpasses, however there is an incredible lack of up-to-date information regarding the proper set up of phone tethering and this app. So I'm not sure if it doesn't work any more, or if it's just my set up.

Essentially I have my Windows 7 laptop that doesn't like the nzone.exe method, my rooted phone, and if at all possible, virtual machines, as my current resources for setting this up.

I'd rather not have to purchase anything extra, what I want to know, is if there are any methods that I can set up with what I already have at my disposal.

I do have a D-Link 802.11n WLAN usb adapter, but I'm not sure if it'll work. It's only just come to my attention, literally just now while writing this, that I would have to 'disable' ALL other network cards to use the USB adapter. Would this work? Could I set up the nzone.exe method like this?

UPDATE: The usb adapter I have seems to cycle through authenticating, connecting very briefly, disconnecting, being disabled, and re-enabling endlessly no matter what I do. This occurs when initiating the nzone.exe with every network adapter disabled except for the USB one and the hotspot that nzone created.

So if there are any other methods available to me to get HomePass working with what I'd have, I'd really appreciate knowing about it!

Another Update: I set up AndroidPass on my phone with an open connection and an SSID of NZ@McD1 - I have *no* connections saved on my 3DS and it detects the Nintendo Zone and says it is connected. My phone shows my 3DS as a connected device. When I put my 3DS in sleep mode, my phone no longer shows my 3DS as a connected device, and in both cases I get no streetpasses.

UPDATE: I started messing around with the 'WiFi Tethering For Root Users' app. It's strange because setting it up accordingly then hitting the 'start' button, it begins to do it's thing but says that it loaded with errors and to check the log file. Clicking show log says there is no log file.

Hell, it doesn't even turn the hotspot on and I have to do so manually, or if the hotspot is already on before I hit start in the wiFi tethering for root users app, it'll remain on.

I'm not sure HOW, but I did manage to get the hotspot working, I'm not even sure when, nor for what mac address as I don't recall seeing any green light indicating the streetpasses.

However, I did get 6 streetpasses come through from United States and Canada.

I have been unable to get it to work again.. really annoying!

ANOTHER UPDATE! : I managed to get HomePass working for a THIRD time using JUST the Mac Spoofer (changer) app.

I calculated the time. The third homepass success was 8 hours after my previous one. I can only conclude that it is only letting me homepass one mac every 8 hours. Either that, or my phone is still stuck on the very first MAC that I spoofed, despite changing it multiple times with apps and also restarting the phone a few times.

Any insight?

LATEST UPDATE: I did another test where I turned my phone and 3DS off. I then turned them both back on and turned my phones hotspot, set up for HomePass, on (without any attempt to spoof my mac).

When my 3DS connected, it did get streetpasses from the HomePass set up, despite that I never attempted to spoof my phones mac.

This means that my MAC is not actually changing, but I am some how getting streetpass through my phones physical MAC. Not sure how that works.

Without knowing how to spoof the hotspot MAC of my phone, I suppose I just have to stick with HomePass only working every 8 hours for me. Which is better than nothing.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
[...]
I have since tried to use StreetPass Riilay on my phone, rooted, Android 4.4.2. The n3DSXL detects the nintendo zone but doesn't get any streetpasses, however there is an incredible lack of up-to-date information regarding the proper set up of phone tethering and this app. So I'm not sure if it doesn't work any more, or if it's just my set up.
[...]
When I put my 3DS in sleep mode, my phone no longer shows my 3DS as a connected device, and in both cases I get no streetpasses.

1: Just like on a PC, doing it with a smartphone requires appropriate combinations of hardware and OS (sometimes down to the individual ROM)

2: It's normal for it to drop the connection as you fold it, but it should pick it up again later every now and then for Spotpass.

If it matters, I've encountered difficulties with (real) NZ streetpass on the New-3DS -- some Zones connect and make the app light up but never download streetpassess, some others only sync after a few minutes...
I believe having it connect even for a second is enough to mark it as "try again in 8 hours" even if you got nothing, which is a significant issue as they're approached from the very edge of coverage!

Psionatix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1: Just like on a PC, doing it with a smartphone requires appropriate combinations of hardware and OS (sometimes down to the individual ROM)

2: It's normal for it to drop the connection as you fold it, but it should pick it up again later every now and then for Spotpass.

If it matters, I've encountered difficulties with (real) NZ streetpass on the New-3DS -- some Zones connect and make the app light up but never download streetpassess, some others only sync after a few minutes...
I believe having it connect even for a second is enough to mark it as "try again in 8 hours" even if you got nothing, which is a significant issue as they're approached from the very edge of coverage!

Thanks for the insight, so I guess I'm just completely out of luck until new methods might be developed, or old ones advanced?

Psionatix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

I wonder if maybe you might have some kind of understanding of what I might have done to get it working correctly in regards to my 'LATEST UPDATE' edit in the main post. It worked briefly but I have been unable to get it working again on other spoofed addresses despite replicating the same steps over and over again.

Psionatix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Giving this a bump as, given my most recent discovery and experience, the situation seems to have changed a little bit.

ANOTHER UPDATE! : I managed to get HomePass working for a THIRD time using JUST the Mac Spoofer (changer) app.

I calculated the time. The third homepass success was 8 hours after my previous one. I can only conclude that it is only letting me homepass one mac every 8 hours. Either that, or my phone is still stuck on the very first MAC that I spoofed, despite changing it multiple times with apps and also restarting the phone a few times.

Any insight?

With all that in mind, it seems I CAN HomePass every 8 hours. The question is, why can't I HomePass each MAC every 8 hours? What's happening that might cause this?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I used to be able to Homepass with my laptop long ago, using a wired connection and using the WiFi module for the transmission, but when I tried to do it recently, I'd get no hits. I'm using a Lenovo z757 (running Win8.1), and I have a 3DS XL running on 9.2.0-20U. I can set up my stuff via Virtual Router Manager (having my main wireless connection called "Wi-Fi" and the virtual one with "attwifi"), and get my XL to connect to the internet and use it, but using things like MACycle to change the MAC address doesn't grant me any passes. From what is understood, the NZone should light up (even though it doesn't work), giving an indication that I could receive, but that doesn't light up.

Psionatix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I used to be able to Homepass with my laptop long ago, using a wired connection and using the WiFi module for the transmission, but when I tried to do it recently, I'd get no hits. I'm using a Lenovo z757 (running Win8.1), and I have a 3DS XL running on 9.2.0-20U. I can set up my stuff via Virtual Router Manager (having my main wireless connection called "Wi-Fi" and the virtual one with "attwifi"), and get my XL to connect to the internet and use it, but using things like MACycle to change the MAC address doesn't grant me any passes. From what is understood, the NZone should light up (even though it doesn't work), giving an indication that I could receive, but that doesn't light up.

Since recent updates, Nintendo Zones cannot transmit street pass data if they are secured. Using Virtual Router sets up a virtual hostednetwork on your windows 7/8 device, which cannot be created WITHOUT using a password for encryption. This is why it isn't working for you any more.

To get a similar method working, the connection you set up for your 3DS to connect to needs to be OPEN and unsecured. You can find out how here. However you must understand that this method is not guaranteed to work with the hardware you have, all you can do is follow the instructions and hope that it works out.

For me, this method does not work, which is why I'm trying alternative methods to get HomePass working.

If you have any more questions, I would appreciate it if you posted on my profile, or started a new thread! Thanks!

Edit: Seeing as you are on 9.2 still, I'm not sure how or if that affects the HomePass. The security thing is for 9.3+. Maybe try your usual methods again, but I recommend using the SSID 'NZ@McD1' instead of 'attwifi' (no quotes). I believe the SSID is set within Virtual Router itself, simply clicking 'rename' on the adapter does not change the SSID, it only changes the connections local reference name.

Thus, I would once again like to direct this threads attention to my latest issue:

Any insight?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Being on 9.2 didn't seem to help with the Virtual Router Manager method, but the method you linked does seem to work for me. It initially didn't, giving full 0s for the check, but then began giving me a few 1s when I turned off my anti-virus software. It's nice because I don't need to use my physical ethernet port, and can work straight from the wireless. I am using a VB-script instead of an executable for the NZone, though I guess it doesn't matter which is used.

Sometimes I won't get any hits, but I found out that if you go into the sharing properties of the connection (not the virtual adapter), uncheck "Allow other network users to connect.....", press OK, and then go back into it to enable it, it starts working again.

Psionatix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Street pass riilay will no work on any android phones 4.4+. I ran in to all the same problems.

If you read my updates, I'm not using Streetpass Riilay.

Not only that, but Home Pass IS working on my phone. However it is only letting me get street passes from one mac every 8 hours. I have, in 8 hour intervals, gotten 6 you 8 international street passes from my phone using MAC Spoofer.

thanks though!

karikrum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I apologize. I did read the whole thread(updates too). I understand that isn't the method you are currently using. At the beginning you had mentioned streetpass riilay didn't work on your 4.4.2 phone. I was trying to let other people who read this thread know that the newest versions of android aren't capable with the streetpass riilay apk.

Psionatix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry I apologize. I did read the whole thread(updates too). I understand that isn't the method you are currently using. At the beginning you had mentioned streetpass riilay didn't work on your 4.4.2 phone. I was trying to let other people who read this thread know that the newest versions of android aren't capable with the streetpass riilay apk.

Ohh. Right, of course!

My apologies too. That went straight over my head and I certainly understand how my opening post may reflect some sort of confusion. I'll make some edits to point this fact out for those who might just be reading the main post!

From my experience Spillpass PI is the hands-down easiest no-frills solution.

Yeah, I understand that. But it can get a bit pricey for someone in Australia. I'd rather not have that expense.

Especially when.. Well.. my phone IS bringing in streetpasses through the HomePass setup. It's only giving me 6~10 international hits every 8 hours, but it is working.

From my understanding, if my phones MAC wasn't changing, I wouldn't get any passes at all, so I'm just trying to workout why it is only letting me HomePass one mac every 8 hours, rather than all MACS every 8 hours.

karikrum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish I could even do that. My new phone I haven't rooted yet but my HTC one I did root and I could never get MAC spoofer to work at all. I looked into the raspberry pi but I don't have the money or computer skills to start messing with that.

Psionatix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I wish I could even do that. My new phone I haven't rooted yet but my HTC one I did root and I could never get MAC spoofer to work at all. I looked into the raspberry pi but I don't have the money or computer skills to start messing with that.

Did you have Busy Box app installed too? It is to my understanding that the Mac Spoofer app requires it.

Using Mac Spoofer, I found that if you just spoof your mac right off the bat, it will actually enable your WiFi. I get it working by turning on my hotspot manually in the phones hotspot/tethering settings, then I open Mac Spoofer and change the MAC. The hotspot then turns off and back on, and I get my streetpasses just fine. So long as 8 hours has passes since I did it last, of course.

karikrum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I had busy box. Super su had me download it. Now I have an LG G3 but I run into problems all the time because I'm on Verison. I don't think you have that carrier in Australia but it has wonderful coverage but they make it very difficult to root or mod their phones.

Psionatix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes I had busy box. Super su had me download it. Now I have an LG G3 but I run into problems all the time because I'm on Verison. I don't think you have that carrier in Australia but it has wonderful coverage but they make it very difficult to root or mod their phones.

Yeah, we don't have that carrier.

Personally, I prefer my phones unlocked if and when possible, thus my current Galaxy S4 is.

Strangely enough.. I just did a new test. I turned my phone and my 3DS off. I then turned them both on, I turned my phone's hotspot on WITHOUT attempting to change the mac. Funny enough, my phone got 6 streetpasses once connected to the phones hotspot.

This proves that my phone is not actually changing it's mac. However, I don't understand how my 3DS is getting streetpasses from my phones physical MAC.

karikrum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Psionatix said:
Yeah, we don't have that carrier.

Personally, I prefer my phones unlocked if and when possible, thus my current Galaxy S4 is.

Strangely enough.. I just did a new test. I turned my phone and my 3DS off. I then turned them both on, I turned my phone's hotspot on WITHOUT attempting to change the mac. Funny enough, my phone got 6 streetpasses once connected to the phones hotspot.

This proves that my phone is not actually changing it's mac. However, I don't understand how my 3DS is getting streetpasses from my phones physical MAC.

I did a lot of research on MAC spoofer and it actually permanently changed some people's MAC addresses. They had to manually set them back after each use. Have you checked your phones MAC? Or did you write it down before you spoofed it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Cool. I got Prime