Homebrew Question What are the chances of me being banned?

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you use Stealth Mode/exosphere, don't go online with emuNAND or don't use CFW on sysNAND, not trying to play a pirated game online and all that, you should be safe.

I can only speak for myself who bought some titles just an hour ago the first time after modding their Switch in September last year, apparently I have not been banned (yet).

Reactions: Hayato213

mrcroket

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I was banned time ago, but I don't regret at all. The only real downside is if you play online. And I think that you can avoid be banned, but you need to take so much care.

Last edited by mrcroket,

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Have been using CFW on sysNAND for the past couple of years, and still have yet to be banned.

Just follow common sense; don't cheat/patch online games (anti-cheat will chase you after some point), don't use pirated cart images or illegally sourced downloads (nuked on sight), and avoid using non-Atmosphere firmwares (to be safe), and you should be fine.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Have been using CFW on sysNAND for the past couple of years, and still have yet to be banned.

Just follow common sense; don't cheat/patch online games (anti-cheat will chase you after some point), don't use pirated cart images or illegally sourced downloads (nuked on sight), and avoid using non-Atmosphere firmwares (to be safe), and you should be fine.
This is correct. I think it's worth adding that installing *ANY* nsp will result in a ban though, weather it is a pirated game or a homebrew. As long as nothing is installed to the homescreen and you don't cheat online you shouldn't get banned though.

Reactions: hartleyshc

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys just roll the dice with one modded system? Why not multiple and not sweat it?

I find it interesting Nintendo seems to let people who dont cheat, pirate, and just do emu by without issues.

That seems honestly kinda nice of them

Though I’m surprised that Sony is lenient with Vita’s too, even though 99% of Vita’s out there are modded if for no other reason than sd2vita to have storage for PSN purchases

Last edited by playstays_shun,

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You guys just roll the dice with one modded system? Why not multiple and not sweat it?
Sure, send me another $300 to splurge on the used market. :P

I find it interesting Nintendo seems to let people who dont cheat, pirate, and just do emu by without issues.

That seems honestly kinda nice of them

Though I’m surprised that Sony is lenient with Vita’s too, even though 99% of Vita’s out there are modded if for no other reason than sd2vita to have storage for PSN purchases
For the most part, the real stake Nintendo has, for as long as they've had a word in the scene, is in piracy; that's where they actually lose money in, and that's the primary factor that all of the system/network's built-in protections are meant to deter. Homebrew, in of itself, is not the problem.
We can, of course, argue how it enables emulation--and thus, potential piracy--but that's its own thing. It still has little bearing on the big N's bottom line. Be glad they show kindness.

Now, Sony, on the other hand... they stopped caring a long time ago.

Last edited by SeongGino,

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, send me another $300 to splurge on the used market. :P

For the most part, the real stake Nintendo has, for as long as they've had a word in the scene, is in piracy; that's where they actually lose money in, and that's the primary factor that all of the system/network's built-in protections are meant to deter. Homebrew, in of itself, is not the problem.
We can, of course, argue how it enables emulation--and thus, potential piracy--but that's its own thing. It still has little bearing on the big N's bottom line. Be glad they show kindness.

Now, Sony, on the other hand... they stopped caring a long time ago.

Hah good point for those that can’t afford another system, makes sense ! Didn’t mean to be insensitive to that

And Sony really didnt stop caring, they aggerssviely ban ps3 cfw users as far as i know and still issue OS updates.

I haven’t ever bothered modded mine for this reason, but also i dont mind just using discs when i play it and only have a small few digital games from the store.

the risks dont outweigh the rewards for me, since I’m a casual user of the system

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hah good point for those that can’t afford another system, makes sense ! Didn’t mean to be insensitive to that

And Sony really didnt stop caring, they aggerssviely ban ps3 cfw users as far as i know and still issue OS updates.

I haven’t ever bothered modded mine for this reason, but also i dont mind just using discs when i play it and only have a small few digital games from the store.

the risks dont outweigh the rewards for me, since I’m a casual user of the system

Its not about not being able to afford.
If you know how to use emummc/nand their is absolutely no advantage on buying another switch.
You might aswell throw money in a bin.
In fact its more a disadvantage because you portable gameing device requires double the space for something you could do the entire time using 1 ;).

cluesagi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been online with Atmosphere for something like 2 years now, still not banned. The things that are known to guarantee a ban are installing .nsps, cheating in online games, and adding a custom profile picture. Don't do those things and you'll probably be fine, but there are no guarantees

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the truth is that absolutly no one here can tell you for sure. Nintendo didnt hand us a guide about whats okay and what not. people here telling you things like "x is okay and y not" dont know either. they assume. We can be more sure about the things that cause a ban than on the things that do not.

Imagine the switch like a car: the more you modify and beat on it (in terms of homebrew, piracy and so on), the more likely it is to break down one day. You can try to prevent that by patching up your car and taking precautions (emunand, 90dns, not going online at all, incognito, ...) but your precautions dont mean your car wont break down at all.

In the end its up to you. Where do you draw the line? What risk are you willing to take? And the most important question is: What do you want to get out of your hacked switch and is that worth a ban? If you dont have an answer to that (or the answer is no), dont hack your switch.

Last edited by Slluxx,

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must test my newly bought switch tab when it comes in the person made no mention of ban or hacked on ebay and when i asked him he didn't know despite being "Tested" i have my doubts too $164 and all thats missing is the kickstand? normal pricing for tablet only is $200 so he's not saying something i should know

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must test my newly bought switch tab when it comes in the person made no mention of ban or hacked on ebay and when i asked him he didn't know despite being "Tested" i have my doubts too $164 and all thats missing is the kickstand? normal pricing for tablet only is $200 so he's not saying something i should know
I would look for threads on how to clean sysnand just in case the original owner did use sysnand and just never went online.

If not, there's a possibility that they could have just never put the system online, but you go and get it banned by putting a dirty sysnand online.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would look for threads on how to clean sysnand just in case the original owner did use sysnand and just never went online.

If not, there's a possibility that they could have just never put the system online, but you go and get it banned by putting a dirty sysnand online.

Can some ELI5 emunand vs sysnand? Assuming that means all modded files on SD card vs. internal storage

Also ‘incognito’ and ‘90dns’? I’m assuming those aren’t needed if one doesn’t ever go on WiFi

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can some ELI5 emunand vs sysnand? Assuming that means all modded files on SD card vs. internal storage

Also ‘incognito’ and ‘90dns’? I’m assuming those aren’t needed if one doesn’t ever go on WiFi
You assumed correctly.

Sysnand is the OS on your NAND.
Emunand/Emummc (Same thing different names. SX called it emunand. Atmosphere calls it Emummc.) Is an "emulated" NAND that's run on the SD card that's totally separate from the sysnand. Sandboxed.

The easiest and safest thing to do is do all of the hacking stuff on the emunand and then treat the sysnand as a stock system.

Both incognito and 90dns aren't really needed anymore. Incognito blanks out your prodinfo. The thinking is that Nintendo won't know what device is hacking because they can't identify the console. 90dns is a custom dns service that blocks connections to Nintendo servers.

Now I said they're both not needed anymore. Atmosphere has these functions built in. For incognito, there is Exosphere on Atmosphere. You enable it with an exosphere.ini file. For 90dns, Atmosphere now runs a mitm hosts service, so you can simply just block all Nintendo connections.

There's a few written guides out there. I know that they cover all of this. Maybe someone can recommend a current guide to set all of this up.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would like to play some thrid party stuff on the switch other then the PS4 and PC... but i can't hack my switch cause i'm on a switch lite and i play online some times so....yeah and i bought stuff on the eshop so no go for me.

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
another assumption.
any valid sources for your claim that hacking your switch is a 100% ban?
SciresM has mentioned before in Twitter comments (it's a reply and not a main post so it's hard to search) but he has mentioned before that there's only 3 things that Nintendo has banned for. Cheating/hacking online (any modification of games files/saves and then going online), Piracy (telemetry, installing piracy/homebrew nsp's, it's all piracy) and spoofing your ssl cert (this is how old pirate eshops worked. They would use a spoofed ssl cert so you could download games directly from Nintendo's cdn. Like how Piracy eshops on the WiiU worked).

There has not been any switch that is console banned without doing one of those three things.

Reactions: ov3rkill

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I've always been kind to @AncientBoi