Gaming What are the chances of getting an unflashable PSP SLIM?

pitoui

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, if I buy a new PSP Slim 2000 model from EB games in Aus, what are the chances of it being an unflashable one I think its the Ta088v3 version?

EDIT: Scrap that, apparently EB don't sell the PSP 2000 models anymore unless they are preowned.. which is shit.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pre owned isnt that bad you can just change the faceplate as most scuffs and scratches would be just on the surface faceplate not the actual LCD
smile.gif

pitoui

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, its for a mate and he wants a new one. I told him not to get a psp 3000 as you can't mod them at the moment.

I've had a look around and the Gamesmen have them in stock for AU$279 with a platinum game.

So I guess my question still stands, what are the chances of getting an unmoddable psp?

I've had a look on the net and saw something about codes on the outsides of the PSP boxes. I think anything under G is moddable. But I'm not too sure if that relates to the Aussie market or not.

Any info is appreciated.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would say any PSP thats its any 3000 or higher that cannot be modded AFAIK ...any others can be modded so long as you use a PANDORA battery tool... as the lockouts on other models involved stopping you making your own PANDORA with the supplied standard battery in the psp but the tool bypasses this
smile.gif

pitoui

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah no worries about the pandora as I already have one and have modded quite a few PSP's in my lifetime.
But do you think that as long as its a 2000 model that I'll be able to mod it?

esoterica

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not 100% sure, but I have heard someone where that some of the newer PSP 2000's have the same unhackable feature as the PSP 3000's. My friend recommended me to buy my PSP from Wal-Mart because it is easier to do returns there. Also, I hear most of the Limited/Special Edition PSPs are almost guaranteed hackable.

pitoui

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry about the double post.

Thats why I wanted to get a PSP from EB as they have the 7 day trial period. Buy a game or a system from them, and if you don't like it you can just return it and get your money back.

Im not too sure how The Gamesmen do returns, I'm 100% sure they don't have the trial period thingy, cos that's just stupid. But good for me
smile.gif

They also sell The Simpsons Edition PSP. It's probably fully hackable but it looks disgusting. I'd be scared to show that to anyone lol.

EDIT: The reason Im asking is because the new wii's in America have the black epoxy over the drive chip to make them harder to hack but the new wii's in Aus don't have that. Obviously because it is a much smaller market than the US.

I've heard people on this forum saying that some late PSP 2000's have the new unhackable motherboard, and I was wondering if Sony released the unhackable motherboards in Aus. Obvioulsly as it is a smaller market they obviously made less PSP 2000's for Aus than the US. So they may be a chance that Sony didn't get to the stage of putting in the unhackable motherboards in Aus.

Confusing yes.. I just really need to know before I go out and buy a PSP that I can't hack. Unhacked PSP = Useless

pitoui

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah no worries about the pandora as I already have one and have modded quite a few PSP's in my lifetime.
But do you think that as long as its a 2000 model that I'll be able to mod it?

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
first of all. ignore the boxcode!
i got mine a week ago(dutch) and it was in a G box(latest model that could still be hacked) but it appears they put a newer psp in it.
(doesn't even try to read a properly made magic memory stick when booted with a working jigkick battery)

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pitoui said:
EDIT: The reason Im asking is because the new wii's in America have the black epoxy over the drive chip to make them harder to hack but the new wii's in Aus don't have that. Obviously because it is a much smaller market than the US.

epoxy means nothing its defeated by HAIRDRIER /HOT GUN and a knife to peel it off
nyanya.gif

afaik they have changed the battery in some psp's so you cannot make your own PANDORA with the supplied battery but If you use one that's pre made it still works
smile.gif

you can quickly check the model before even attempting to mod by reading the model number ... its in the battery compartment under the battery on the sticker
wink.gif

QUOTE(thedicemaster @ Nov 7 2008, 06:04 PM) first of all. ignore the boxcode!
i got mine a week ago(dutch) and it was in a G box(latest model that could still be hacked) but it appears they put a newer psp in it.
(doesn't even try to read a properly made magic memory stick when booted with a working jigkick battery)

what size mem stick was you trying to use and is it magic gate compatible ?!

you may also need to upgrade to newer firmware something like official 3.90 or 4.0 to read 4gb or bigger cards and you may get issues with fake mem cards or non magic gate compatible cards
smile.gif

Suggest trying a different pro duo 1 or 2gb Sandisk or proper Sony with magic gate capabilitys
smile.gif

pitoui

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks I didn't know the epoxy was so easily removed. I have been hearing some reports of epoxy in Aus Wii's now.

Anyway getting back to the point.. Your saying that it doesn't matter what model PSP 2000 I get as I can still hack it with a premade pandora battery?

If that's not the case do you know what model number I should look out for and what model number I should avoid?

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
kobykaan said:
thedicemaster said:
first of all. ignore the boxcode!

what size mem stick was you trying to use and is it magic gate compatible ?!

you may also need to upgrade to newer firmware something like official 3.90 or 4.0 to read 4gb or bigger cards and you may get issues with fake mem cards or non magic gate compatible cards
smile.gif

Suggest trying a different pro duo 1 or 2gb Sandisk or proper Sony with magic gate capabilitys
smile.gif
the problem was my psp, i'm sure of it.
the psp i used to make the battery did manage to boot off the memory stick so the battery and memory stick are good.

memorystick was a 1GB genuine sony.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte