Hacking What are the chances of dolphin emulator being ported to Wii U?

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean now that it's been ported to android (even though it's unplayable), it shouldn't be that difficult to get a Wii U port up and running right?

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but there's a problem with that. Devolution has that disc verification thing. Wii U can't read gamecube discs. So there would be no way to verify them. :(

Warlord698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the same version that would work on the Wii should work in vWii. and the main reason to remove the verification for the majority (if the Wii-U wasn't out yet) would have been for
A: convenience
B: the "piracy issue", which i don't entirely understand since the most used used gaming place (Gamestop) stopped taking GameCube games a while back, and games stopped being made for it even further back

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
the same version that would work on the Wii should work in vWii. and the main reason to remove the verification for the majority (if the Wii-U wasn't out yet) would have been for
A: convenience
B: the "piracy issue", which i don't entirely understand since the most used used gaming place (Gamestop) stopped taking GameCube games a while back, and games stopped being made for it even further back

This is really just splitting hairs about the definition of port.

Warlord698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not really, if the Wii U wasn't out, they would be trying to do this anyway (well some have but they are respecting the developer's wishes by not releasing them) porting it would be adjusting it SPECIFICALLY to the Wii U's high powered part of the system vs vWii which restricts it (just like the PSP emulator hacks on the Vita, the GBA hacks on the DS before NDS mode was unlocked, and GC mode on the Wii before Wii mode was unlocked)

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
not really, if the Wii U wasn't out, they would be trying to do this anyway (well some have but they are respecting the developer's wishes by not releasing them) porting it would be adjusting it SPECIFICALLY to the Wii U's high powered part of the system vs vWii which restricts it (just like the PSP emulator hacks on the Vita, the GBA hacks on the DS before NDS mode was unlocked, and GC mode on the Wii before Wii mode was unlocked)

I wasn't saying porting it to the Wii U, I said to the vWii.
A port to the Wii U would be superior. Heck, there would be access to other CPU cores and extra ram, like how native Wii mode on the Wii has the faster CPU speed and extra ram, so something similar to what Devolution is for GC mode could be created for Wii mode on the Wii U.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't saying porting it to the Wii U, I said to the vWii.
A port to the Wii U would be superior. Heck, there would be access to other CPU cores and extra ram, like how native Wii mode on the Wii has the faster CPU speed and extra ram, so something similar to what Devolution is for GC mode could be created for Wii mode on the Wii U.

On the PC, Dolphin needs a beefy CPU and decent GPU to run at full speed. If Dolphin were to be ported, it would best to make it virtualization.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
On the PC, Dolphin needs a beefy CPU and decent GPU to run at full speed. If Dolphin were to be ported, it would best to make it virtualization.

I'm aware. Though, on a technical level, virtualization and emulation are completely different, so Dolphin wouldn't be ported.
How exactly does Devolution work?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm aware. Though, on a technical level, virtualization and emulation are completely different, so Dolphin wouldn't be ported.
How exactly does Devolution work?

It's virtualization as opposed to emulation. It's a virtual machine and doesn't emulate the Gamecube at all.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
It's virtualization as opposed to emulation. It's a virtual machine and doesn't emulate the Gamecube at all.

Exactly, and it utilizes the extra features of Wii mode (RAM, CPU speed) to implement the extra features.
A Wii virtualization method on Wii U, utilizing the extra CPU cores and RAM, could be feasible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night