What are the best videogame emulators for Windows?

raxadian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Personally, I can't think of any reason not to use BizHawk for any of the platforms it supports, except for the odd rom hacks here and there that only work on less accurate emulators.

Because some people want accurate emulation and BizHawk is made for speedruns not for 100% accurate emulation.
I wonder why no hardware emulator for Nintendo 64 exists, might have to get one of those things to load roms into a N64.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about best, but the ones I've used for years has been:

upload_2019-12-31_22-53-40.png

I'm using the quickplay frontend btw.

Last edited by godreborn,
Reactions: jDSX
D

Deleted-236924

Because some people want accurate emulation and BizHawk is made for speedruns not for 100% accurate emulation.
I wonder why no hardware emulator for Nintendo 64 exists, might have to get one of those things to load roms into a N64.

You don't put "BizHawk" and "inaccurate emulation" together in the same sentence.

http://tasvideos.org/BizHawk.html

BizHawk focuses on core accuracy and power user tools while still being an easy-to-use emulator for casual gaming.

It needs to be as accurate as possible, for tool-assisted runs to be reproducible on console.

It also needs to be as accurate as possible for speedrunning, because most speedruns are not valid if played on emulators that have inaccurate timings (although the specifics differ depending on the particular game being run.)

MicwP0T.png

Last edited by ,
Reactions: AkikoKumagara

raxadian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You don't put "BizHawk" and "inaccurate emulation" together in the same sentence.

http://tasvideos.org/BizHawk.html

It needs to be as accurate as possible, for tool-assisted runs to be reproducible on console.

It also needs to be as accurate as possible for speedrunning, because most speedruns are not valid if played on emulators that have inaccurate timings (although the specifics differ depending on the particular game being run.)

MicwP0T.png

The more complex and more functions a device has, the more likely is that it will fail and not work as well as a device that does a single thing.

Specific emulators that focus on a single or fewer devices tend to be more accurate.

There is not a single emulator out there that does 100% accurate Nintendo 64 emulation, not even the ones Nintendo uses. And that's with emulators dedicated to a single system.

Last edited by raxadian,
D

Deleted-236924

The more complex and more functions a device has, the more likely is that it will fail and not work as well as a device that does a single thing.

Specific emulators that focus on a single or fewer devices tend to be more accurate.

There is not a single emulator out there that does 100% accurate Nintendo 64 emulation, not even the ones Nintendo uses. And that's with emulators dedicated to a single system.

Understandable, have a nice day.

raxadian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Is 2021 so a brief updare:

Nes

FCEUX

http://fceux.com/web/home.html

Nestopia Undead Edition,

http://0ldsk00l.ca/nestopia/

Nestopia is the best if you want accuracy, FCEUX is best if you just want to play the games.

With the rest there are not many news. Nintendo 64 only has two emulators nowadays, well three but one went patreon only.

Sega Genesis emulation has got quite impressive but also many emulators gor discontinued.

BlastEm has not been updated since 2019 for example.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...