What are the best PS2, Xbox and Gamecube Modchips?

Rubedo

Aikawa is OLEV
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kaputnik said:
Rubedo said:
Well, actually BOTH of my Xboxes have that huge hard drive, but as far as I can tell, neither one is modded as they both have the normal BIOS. Unless there's a way to mod them and have them display the normal BIOS? Is there any way to check if it's modded or not?

Well, we have no idea how big those blocks are, and the xbox just stated that it had more than 50000 free ones, or whatever number it was. It's impossible to tell if you got the original drive or a bigger one installed that way. The easiest and most accurate way to identify the drive would probably be to just open up the xbox and have a look at the drive, but since you're talking about the disk size in these blocks, I'd say you boot into the original dashboard, and there's no reason why a modded xbox should do that by default. It's probably safe to assume that your boxes aren't modded, and you got the original drive installed
smile.gif

It's possible to configure a hacked BIOS to look exactly like an original one when booting. Normally there is some logo that the team that hacked the bios added though, and most ppl that mod xboxes are either too lazy to do that configuration, or want some way of distinguishing the bioses from eachother when booting if they have an alternative method to boot the original bios for playing original games on Xbox Live. Nowadays there's no official online services for the original xbox though, so there's no point in keeping the original bios/dashboard when modding.

FAST6191 said:
PS2 stuff- I say pretty much if it can play games and you can find one in a good shop go with it.
Other options are network adapter and freeMCboot. These are less compatible in some cases but most games work and have advantages too.

HDD loading via network adapter is compatible with just about everything you'd want to play. Sure, there are a few obscure games that won't work, but if you go with a chip in addition to the HDD (which you really should anyways to launch HDL as easy as possible), you can play those off a dvd if you want
smile.gif

FAST6191 said:
Xbox- All versions have chips, 1 to 1.5 can be TSOP flashed. You also have softmod which if you do not want games (which by the way go for about $1 USD on amazon and the cables can be home made with less skill than it takes to solder a mod chip http://www.aideluxe.com/index.php?title=SI...h_Action_Replay ) can be done for nothing with the so called hotswap method http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Hard_Disk_Hotswap_HOWTO.

Ah, good you mentioned it. Totally forgot that TSOP flashing won't work with 1.6 boxes :>
The hotswap method is really the easiest anyways. The only downside is that there is a really minimal risk that you fry computer, disk or xbox when doing it, so don't do it using some old computer you don't care a lot about just to be safe.

FAST6191 said:
I agree you can screw up softmods (although it became ultra simple towards the end) and have to pull it back with odd discs/methods (slayers disc has saved my arse when fiddling with things on many occasions) but if you have the EEPROM data and you have an IDE port on a machine available to you then you can write anything you like to the hard drive thus fixing it (the standard setup is a couple of gigs at most so stick it on a DVD if you are not inclined to stick it on your PC drive somewhere).
The main disadvantage then for softmods on the xbox is that not all IDE hard drives will work (only those that support locking), there is a nice list of tests on various models http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list though. You can get away without replacing the hard drive but it is far nicer when you do.

The last softmod I did I used Ndure through XboxHDM. It wasn't all that hard (except for some headache over relocking the drive), and I don't know if there's any more recent methods that are easier, but I wouldn't call that method dead simple in the sense that you can teach a monkey how to do it. I give you that it's way easier than what we had before we had XboxHDM and Ndure though
smile.gif

If you don't do the softmod on the original disk, you can always dump the eeprom data from it later in case you lose the backup or something like that.

QUOTE(FAST6191 @ Feb 6 2011, 04:37 PM)
GC has three main methods
1) Modchips- your main issue with any GC modchip will be lack of support for streaming audio games ( http://wiki-scene.com/Audio_Fix ). Check to make sure yours supports it (most of the GC specific stuff does, it was mainly the early wii chips that tacked GC support on that troubled things), there are workarounds but they are not ideal.
Many of the homebrew wii chips also saw something of a backport to the GC as well.
Likewise you are limited to miniDVD discs- there were casemods that allowed for full size DVDs (granted you could still only use GC disc data sizes)

2) Memory card/AR hacks SD-boot being the main one- you might have seen them for the wii as they got pretty popular since the downfall of wii chips and drive hacks.
Nowhere near as compatible as chips.

3) Modem hacks- this is old and deprecated so ignore this.

There are alternative methods like DVD emulation- people made DVD to hard drive adapters but no simple instructions exist.

In my opinion chipping is the only viable option for GC. That might change with the imminent release of Swiss and the fact that the Swiss author has started manufacturing IDE - EXI adapters though.

It's nice to see that the GC scene is still alive and kicking btw
biggrin.gif

I've seen the Icedcube case for sale just recently, so they might still be in production. It's a factory made case to allow usage of standard 12 cm dvd:s with the GC, no modding the original case needed. But personally I think it's better to just use 8 cm dvdr:s.

Rubedo
Okay, so with Gamecube all I have to do is look for one that has the audio fix, right?
It seems complicated to do Xbox modding though...
I mean I'm not exactly looking for any complicated features for any of my console mods, all I want to do is play games and nothing more. I can run everything off DVDs.

The xbox modding won't be less complicated just because you're fine with using dvd:s, the only thing you might save yourself is getting a bigger hard drive. But really, once you start loading your games from the HDD you won't want to go back, it's so worth it getting that bigger drive. And FAST6191 has a very good point when he says that xbox is the ultimate emulator platform, you'll want to install a bunch of emulators and a crapload of roms. Actually I prefer to play retro games on my xbox over playing them on my real hardware, my retro consoles are just collecting dust nowadays :>

1. How do I figure out what version of Xbox I have?
2. I have a perfectly good computer capable of emulating everything PS1/N64 and below, so emulation on Xbox is kind of pointless. Plus I can't even imagine trying to play 2D games with an analog stick *Shudder*
3. Okay so, if I were to mod my PS2 with the HDD Loader/Network Adapter, where can I get all the required parts, and can you link me to a step by step tutorial to do it?

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Rubedo said:
1. How do I figure out what version of Xbox I have?
2. I have a perfectly good computer capable of emulating everything PS1/N64 and below, so emulation on Xbox is kind of pointless. Plus I can't even imagine trying to play 2D games with an analog stick *Shudder*
3. Okay so, if I were to mod my PS2 with the HDD Loader/Network Adapter, where can I get all the required parts, and can you link me to a step by step tutorial to do it?

1: Here are two guides. Start with this one, it doesn't require you to open up the xbox: http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_Versions_HOWTO
If you don't manage to find the version out with that one, continue with this: http://www.xbox-scene.com/versions_1.php

2: The real point is that you can do it on big, nice tv instead of a computer monitor, if you don't happen to have the computer sitting next to the TV. And that controller driven interface is sooo much nicer than Windows style menus.
The Xbox controller got a D-pad, so you don't have to use the analog sticks. But of course you can if you want to
smile.gif

3: I've given you links to everything you need earlier in the thread, I'll just quote myself so you have everything in one place:

kaputnik said:
Even clones of the official Sony network adapter are quite expensive though, DX sells them at about $40, but in my opinion it's well worth that money to not have to fiddle around with dvd:s:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-5-3-5-sata-...000-50000-54329
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/replacement-n...00-series-27138

QUOTE(kaputnik @ Feb 6 2011, 08:44 PM)
Here's an extensive PS2 HDD compatibility list: http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list

Installation of the drive is simple. Just format it in your computer and add some games using a program called WinHIIP. Then plug the drive into the network adapter, and plug the network adapter with the drive into the PS2. Launch your boot cd with HDL, and you should be presented with a menu with your games.
Here are some guides on the subject:

Connecting the drive to your pc: http://www.sksapps.com/index.php?page=hdd_to_pc.html
WinHIIP tut: http://www.sksapps.com/index.php?page=winhiip_tutorial.html
Install the HDD: http://www.sksapps.com/index.php?page=installhd.html

I didn't find any guide on HDL usage, but shouldn't be needed anyways, it's pretty much self explaining.

Here's a link to to download a HDL iso: http://www.sksapps.com/index.php?page=hd.html
Pick "HDLoader 8C - BIN/CUE - CD", unpack it and burn it to a cd.

Rubedo

Aikawa is OLEV
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, it seems my Xbox is version 1.3
Is that good? >_>
Also :wtf: if I go with the PS2 HDD option, do I have to connect it to my PC every time I want to add a game? That seems kind of ridiculous... I'd rather just stick with discs...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
edit: way too late it seems. I will leave it up though.

edit 2- some quite replies

1.3 is fine, it means you can TSOP flash it and the DVD drive is better than some of the earlier ones (maybe not the best available but hey- all that means is you are buying DVD-R discs if you start using discs)

You can install games via the PS2 DVD drive if you want, not sure how it works with isos and the like though or indeed at all (mod chips all the way around here- I mainly only really played with HD loader just to say I did).

original post.

1) Sorry I should have linked up versioning first time around http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/determi...ion_of_xbox.htm

2) You have a D pad on the xbox, it is not the best but I have put in more than a few hours of streets of rage, zombies ate my neighbours and sonic on it.

3) Instructions- plug in drive, plug in back of PS2, put in disc- pressed version if you have one or more likely burned disc (for a mod chip or swap magic) or otherwise use an exploit (free MCboot or spinoff of it) to run the code/loader. Rest is all on screen/basic press button to launch iso sort of thing.
The network adapter is an official accessory and can be found as such.
The hard drive is just an IDE drive- some incompatibility exists, http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list has some.

The rest, if anything, is basic mod stuff (the memory card bit might take a bit of effort if you have to track down action replay type kit) and/or software/general downloading.

Naturally it being a popular, simple and effective modding method expect to pay through the nose for one despite it effectively being useless for anything official at this point in time (it was never especially useful even when the PS2 was active). There is a USB variation but that really is poor. I would be inclined to agree with kaputnik in that HDloader does not miss out on much but if you want to make your own mind up http://www.absoluteanime.com/hdloader.html is as good a start as any.

Some games might need patching depending on versions you are using but that should be easy enough to sort out.

Replying to kaputnik

"The only downside is that there is a really minimal risk that you fry computer, disk or xbox when doing it"

I thought that was just floating ground the xbox (and for that matter 360) used- easily solved/mitigated by electrically connecting the xbox case to the PC case thus sharing the ground (assuming your PC is grounded properly of course).

When I said softmods were trivial I was thinking more of the game/save exploit level ones- give softmod installer deluxe or Krayzie Ndure Installer a run through. Aside from the questions of virtual EEPROM, shadow C and whether you want to be able to boot the stock dash it is a case of pressing a button at the prompts and then maybe installing a new dashboard once it is done (it is limited to the save file sizes so no XBMC straight away- indeed remembering to copy both parts of the save exploit/hack is about as annoying as it gets). Hotswaps still take a bit of thought so I agree there.

I agree entirely that chipping is the best/only way for the GC. Good to know there are still case mods available as well- ever since jandaman stopped being as active I have had a hard time trying to source stuff like that.
I will keep an eye on that DVD adapter work as well and I was always planning to keep up with Swiss.

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
Rubedo said:
Is that good? >_>
Also :wtf: if I go with the PS2 HDD option, do I have to connect it to my PC every time I want to add a game? That seems kind of ridiculous... I'd rather just stick with discs...

Well, you could add all your games to the HDD and never worry about it again.

If you have a Ps2 slim, you could even use a USB HDD to play your games. Though loading times are a little slow.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can install games on PS2 HDD via ps2 disc, also very slowly via crossover cable. And the different between the modbo and matrix chip is that modbo is a clone running on matrix firmware. It may be less stable but is still very good for the price. Modbo also are not firmware upgradable, although it is not important. And Modbo does not have extra onboard space to install homebrew apps on it. Although you can install them onto a memory card too.

The xbox is a very powerful machine, great emulation, great media player... If I were you I would spend more money/time and modify that with a bigger hard drive.

I need to read up more on tsop flashing (I want a blue blob startup) tho so this thread may be useful.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rubedo said:
Is that good? >_>

Rubedo, I think I understand where you're coming from. You just want the best method that's 100% compatible that isn't too technical, right?

For most consoles, nothing beats a good modchip. 100% compatible, relatively easy to install, and once installed, you never have to mess with it again.
Of course there are exceptions, such as Wii, XBOX 360, and PS3 (all softmods are very easy).

Anyway.

GameCube: XenoCube - $12 - link - only 7 or so wires with easy install points, 100% compatible, and has the audio fix enabled

PS2 - ModBo 4 - $12 - link - about 20 wires, some points are very small depending on your PS2 version, 100% compatible

XBOX - DUOX2 - $15 - link - about 10 wires with easy to install points, 100% compatible

Install those three and never mess with it again.
Note those might not be the best prices - I got my ModBo 4 for $4 on dealextreme - but those are pretty good prices.

By the way, background on myself:
I've been modding since SNES (floppy drive loaders). I've hacked every single on of my systems. (some don't need it... Hello Dreamcast and 3DO!)

I personally have those chips above except for the DUOX2, instead I have an Xecuter 2.6 CE (was $40 when I got it).
For my PS2, I usually have it autoboot to the HDD, then pick from a selection of games I've installed. Otherwise I'll boot from a disc.
For my XBOX, it's the same.
Gamecube, I just use the mini-DVD-R to burn my games and play, though you can buy a modified case to use regular sized CD-R. (I suggest getting a modded Wii and benefit from Wii, GameCube, and WiiWare + Virtual Console games all in one console).

Also, even though they are modchips, they do have some nice advantages such as configuring them so that they automatically load software like USB drive loader or some type of menu that let's you select between different software... if you so please.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

P.S. There only real difference between the ModBo 4 ($4 to $15) and the Matrix Infinity ($40) is the company that makes it. The ModBo 4 is flashed with the same exact firmware as the Matrix Infinity. There is absolutely no reason to pick the Matrix Infinity over the ModBo 4.

Rubedo

Aikawa is OLEV
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Devante said:
Rubedo said:
Is that good? >_>

Rubedo, I think I understand where you're coming from. You just want the best method that's 100% compatible that isn't to technical, right?

For most consoles, nothing beats a good modchip. 100% compatible, relatively easy to install, and once installed, you never have to mess with it again.
Of course there are exceptions, such as Wii, XBOX 360, and PS3 (all softmods are very easy).

Anyway.

GameCube: XenoCube - $12 - link - only 7 or so wires with easy install points, 100% compatible, and has the audio fix enabled

PS2 - ModBo 4 - $12 - link - about 20 wires, some points are very small depending on your PS2 version, 100% compatible

XBOX - DUOX2 - $15 - link - about 10 wires with easy to install points, 100% compatible

Install those three and never mess with it again.
Note those might not be the best prices - I got my ModBo 4 for $4 on dealextreme - but those are pretty good prices.

By the way, background on myself:
I've been modding since SNES (floppy drive loaders). I've hacked every single on of my systems. (some don't need it... Hello Dreamcast and 3DO!)

I personally have those chips above except for the DUOX2, instead I have an Xecuter 2.6 CE (was $40 when I got it).
For my PS2, I usually have it autoboot to the HDD, then pick from a selection of games I've installed. Otherwise I'll boot from a disc.
For my XBOX, it's the same.
Gamecube, I just use the mini-DVD-R to burn my games and play, though you can buy a modified case to use regular sized CD-R. (I suggest getting a modded Wii and benefit from Wii, GameCube, and WiiWare + Virtual Console games all in one console).

Also, even though they are modchips, they do have some nice advantages such as configuring them so that they automatically load software like USB drive loader or some type of menu that let's you select between different software... if you so please.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

P.S. There only real difference between the ModBo 4 ($4 to $15) and the Matrix Infinity ($40) is the company that makes it. The ModBo 4 is flashed with the same exact firmware as the Matrix Infinity. There is absolutely no reason to pick the Matrix Infinity over the ModBo 4.

See, this guy gets what I've been trying to say! XD
I just want to load games, nothing more. I have other devices for emulation and media. I'm fine with running from DVD as opposed to from the HDD, even if it causes the loading times to be a bit different, and I'm fine with buying a bunch of memory cards if need be. Again, what I ideally want to do is take it to my friend's house, hand him the system and a mod chip and come back the next day, take it home and be able to run DVD backups in it.

Speaking of which, can anyone tell me what are the largest memory cards for PS2/GC (as well as being reliable... I once got a Mega Memory Card for PS1 that deleted all my data
ohnoes.png
.)?

steveo1978

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the xbox I would go with the tsop flash because its the best all-around method. Most features you want are going to come from the bios you select to flash to that chip. I recommend the Ind-Bios it has more features then most other bioses. The only thing with flashing the tsop is that you have to softmod the xbox first. If you just want to play games from disc then yo would probably be better off just doing the softmod, you will get just about all the features of a chiped or flashed tsop with out all the extra work.

To answer a question you had earlier about using a xbox hard drive on the ps2, the xbox hard drive is locked to the xbox it is in so if you just took it out the hard drive would be basically useless until unlocked.

What part of the US are you in I might no some one in your area that can mod the xbox for cheap? I can also answer more of your question through an instant messenger if you want cause I am pretty sure you can mod the xbox on your own because it sounds more complicated then it really is. I also know some methods of flashing the tsop with out actually soldering anything.

To the person that said they wanted the blue flubber animation I can help you with that too.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rubedo, I'd just get the first party memory cards. I've heard horror stories about third party cards, especially larger than the default cards.

You can use your internal HDD to backup saves.

Best backup method for PS1 and PS2 games: PS Memory Card Adapter - $6 - link

Use it to copy PS1 and PS2 games to your PC or to your PS3.

Rubedo

Aikawa is OLEV
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Devante said:
Rubedo, I'd just get the first party memory cards. I've heard horror stories about third party cards, especially larger than the default cards.

You can use your internal HDD to backup saves.

Best backup method for PS1 and PS2 games: PS Memory Card Adapter - $6 - link

Use it to copy PS1 and PS2 games to your PC or to your PS3.

But I don't HAVE the HDD and don't have enough money to just drop on an HDD in addition to all this other stuff, and again, I don't want to deal with the hassle of setting it up.

And well, if my memory card dies, it dies, and that's all there is to it >_>
But the feedback for the 64MB PS2 memory card on Dealextreme is pretty good, so...

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
FAST6191 said:
Replying to kaputnik

"The only downside is that there is a really minimal risk that you fry computer, disk or xbox when doing it"

I thought that was just floating ground the xbox (and for that matter 360) used- easily solved/mitigated by electrically connecting the xbox case to the PC case thus sharing the ground (assuming your PC is grounded properly of course).

When I said softmods were trivial I was thinking more of the game/save exploit level ones- give softmod installer deluxe or Krayzie Ndure Installer a run through. Aside from the questions of virtual EEPROM, shadow C and whether you want to be able to boot the stock dash it is a case of pressing a button at the prompts and then maybe installing a new dashboard once it is done (it is limited to the save file sizes so no XBMC straight away- indeed remembering to copy both parts of the save exploit/hack is about as annoying as it gets). Hotswaps still take a bit of thought so I agree there.

I agree entirely that chipping is the best/only way for the GC. Good to know there are still case mods available as well- ever since jandaman stopped being as active I have had a hard time trying to source stuff like that.
I will keep an eye on that DVD adapter work as well and I was always planning to keep up with Swiss.

I was rather thinking about the ATA standard not being designed with hotswapping in mind than the floating point ground issue
smile.gif

There's nothing in the ATA standard that demands that conforming devices shall be able to handle transients and such when disconnecting a powered device, so you can't count on that the disk or the controller can do it. Actually I'd be surprised if they could. And even if you incorporated the needed circuits to do that, I doubt it would help a lot, the ATA connector's design makes it impossible to control in what order the pins are disconnected when unplugging it. If you take a look at the connectors from a standard that has hotswapping in mind, for example USB, you'll see that the contact plates (or whatever it's called in English) are of different lengths. The shorter ones gets disconnected first when disconnecting the plug, and that there's no way to unplug the connector but pulling it straight out, making it impossible to disconnect the different lines in other than the intended order.

[edit] Sorry if I went a little bit off topic there :>

steveo1978

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The stock hard drive in the xbox is large enough to put emulators on and still have all the needed software on. The stock hard drive in the xbox is either a 8gb or 10gb. What I would do is just get a chip for the ps2 and the gamecube and just softmod the xbox that way you will have everything you want with as little money in it as possible. you can get the exploitable splinter cell game from gamestop for like $2 and you might can find a memory card for cheap there too.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@kaputnik ah yes.

re hard drives- you mean to tell us that despite probably being the computer fixer in your circle of associates you lack access to a garaged machine with a 40 gig drive or more in it to hold you over for a couple of months during which you can drum up some funds for something better?

Just a word on DX reviews- most of these are written perhaps a month after they come if not sooner. This is not the month you have to worry about. Granted price-size ratio comes into play but it is not like official ones cost anything different to the DX ones.

I will also +1 Devante but most of this "complexity" was more that while we can mod chip and be done it would not be good form if were not to at least make you aware of other methods and tweaks as they often confer huge advantages or as Devante said are 100% compatible and are maybe easier than mod chips (as hardware revisions went on companies did mess things up for mod chips and see pins needed to be lifted, traces cut and things soldered to pins or traces rather than test points).

Rubedo

Aikawa is OLEV
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
@kaputnik ah yes.

re hard drives- you mean to tell us that despite probably being the computer fixer in your circle of associates you lack access to a garaged machine with a 40 gig drive or more in it to hold you over for a couple of months during which you can drum up some funds for something better?

Just a word on DX reviews- most of these are written perhaps a month after they come if not sooner. This is not the month you have to worry about. Granted price-size ratio comes into play but it is not like official ones cost anything different to the DX ones.

I will also +1 Devante but most of this "complexity" was more that while we can so mod chip and be done it would not be good form to at least make you aware of other methods and tweaks as they often confer huge advantages or as Devante said are 100% compatible and are maybe easier than mod chips (as hardware revisions went on companies did mess things up for mod chips and see pins needed to be lifted, traces cut and things soldered to pins or traces rather than test points.

Hahaha, well, I'm NOT the computer fixer in my circle of friends. In fact, my hard drive IS 40GB, for my computer that is. It's old and terrible and I'm getting a new one soon, which is why I'm wanting to finally get my consoles modded, because I'll have a DVD Burner once I get a new one.

And I plan to be playing A LOT of backups, and 8MB just isn't gonna cut it XD

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well honestly Rubedo, worst case scenario is you get a large memory card with good reviews on dealextreme for a cheap price and it maybe craps out on you.

Not really that serious so I say go for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Veho @AncientBoi's favorite +1