Homebrew What are the benefits of dumping the OTP?

pipe01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have seen people that have downgraded to 2.1 in order to dump their OTP, but I'm sitting here wondering what are the benefits or risking your 3DS in order to obtain that OTP-thing. I've read that it's related to a console specific key, but that still doesn't make any sense to me. Could anyone explain to me what it is useful for?

pipe01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I found that while searching, but it only explains how to get it, rather than explaining what it is used for.

That's for running homebrew code from the start. Even before nand boots.
Faster and 100% reliable autoboot, better brick protection, more fool proof in use with no chance of accidentally updating sysNAND and losing your hacks, as it is persistent across system updates.
So, you could update after installing a9lh and still use it? That's cool, thank you!

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
The most common use at the moment is to allow the installation of a coldboot exploit that runs before the kernel executes, making it super fast. In theory it would also help us to do things in the future relating to encryption, since it contains keys that are console unique, and means that Nintendo can not do much about it once we have our little hands on it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, I found that while searching, but it only explains how to get it, rather than explaining what it is used for.

So, you could update after installing a9lh and still use it? That's cool, thank you!
As long as you are running a CFW that stops the updates from overwriting it, which could happen.

Reactions: pipe01

pipe01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The most common use at the moment is to allow the installation of a coldboot exploit that runs before the kernel executes, making it super fast. In theory it would also help us to do things in the future relating to encryption, since it contains keys that are console unique, and means that Nintendo can not do much about it once we have our little hands on it.

As long as you are running a CFW that stops the updates from overwriting it, which could happen.

I think I get it now, thank you all for the quick answers!

GilgameshArcher

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So arm9LoaderHax? What is that used for, again?

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

U can install those nice CIA in your Home Menu, the CFW will patch the way for them run nice and smooth.

You gain control of the sistem in the boot, so U can recover of them bricks adn use paylos form the boot to start useful tools.

Is the best hack there for users looking to run games and Homebrews.

Reactions: pipe01

pipe01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

U can install those nice CIA in your Home Menu, the CFW will patch the way for them run nice and smooth.

You gain control of the sistem in the boot, so U can recover of them bricks adn use paylos form the boot to start useful tools.

Is the best hack there for users looking to run games and Homebrews.
So you don't need a hardmod to recover from hardbricks? Or only soft ones?

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Once successfully installed, and given the FIRM0 and 1 are not written over by anything else - say title install like home menu gets corrupted all you need is pre-existing BIN backup of your console specific firm dump of any kind and you can recover.

pipe01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Once successfully installed, and given the FIRM0 and 1 are not written over by anything else - say title install like home menu gets corrupted all you need is pre-existing BIN backup of your console specific firm dump of any kind and you can recover.
Well, that really is useful!

Well, it is possible to get a brick that A9LH can't fix. But you pretty much have to do that on purpose.
Yeah, I guess there are always exceptions

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I speak from experience when I say this: the only brick you can't recover with A9LH is a bootrom brick. Otherwise you're golden. I know because I got a hard brick by screwing around with home menu stuff (by that I mean modifying the home menu), so I simply used Decrypt9 on boot and restored a NAND backup.

pipe01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I speak from experience when I say this: the only brick you can't recover with A9LH is a bootrom brick. Otherwise you're golden. I know because I got a hard brick by screwing around with home menu stuff (by that I mean modifying the home menu), so I simply used Decrypt9 on boot and restored a NAND backup.
Would you say it's worth it to take the (seemingly low) risk of screwing up your 3DS to install it?

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Delete FIRM0 and FIRM1 with godmode9: unrecoverable brick.
But, as stated above, you kinda have to do that on purpose.

Would you say it's worth it to take the (seemingly low) risk of screwing up your 3DS to install it?
Yes. Yes
HELL.
FUCKING.
YES.
(Kudos to those who got the reference ;))

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I swallowed macaroni & cheese for dinner. :P