What are the Benefits of Boot9strap over A9LH?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by BobDoleOwndU, May 23, 2017.

1. BobDoleOwndU
    OP

BobDoleOwndU GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 28, 2013
    Canada
    Hello! I searched around, but I don't seem to be able to find any answers on this specific topic.

I'm wondering, what are the actual benefits of updating from A9LH to boot9strap? From what I understand, there are benefits to developers, but no real benefits to end-users. They both seem to essentially do the same thing for end-users.

One thing that I can't seem to find any info on for boot9strap is brick recovery. With A9LH, you could restore a NAND backup if you ever bricked by booting into Decrypt9. I assume boot9strap can do the same, but it doesn't seem seem to be mentioned on 3ds.guide, or anywhere else I've looked.

So I ask, as an end-user, are there any real benefits to updating to boot9strap from A9LH? Are there any disadvantages?

Note: I know what sighax/boot9strap is. I'm not looking for clarification on that. I'm also not looking for future Luma updates being incompatible with A9LH as an answer. I am aware of this. But that's a choice related to the development of Luma itself and not an actual benefit of boot9strap.

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    BobDoleOwndU likes this.
  3. BobDoleOwndU
    OP

BobDoleOwndU GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 28, 2013
    Canada
    Quantumcat likes this.