Hacking what are the advantages of a modchip over softmod?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A WODE is able to play Gamecube games from USB, which is something softmod users currently can only whine about dream of.

A modchip is also prone to nintendo's firmware updates.

But other than that, there's no advantage to a modchip.

terminal_illness

Dark Hadou Master
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i use both. i read most of my games off usb. however i use the old wiikey2 when i want to use riivolution with a backup, or play metroid prime trilogy and select whatever difficulty i want.

i like having both.

oh yeah and like mentioned above. it plays ALL gc backups. (except alien hominind and i dont know why...)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
roku93 said:
Except that softmods can soon play GC games from USB. There's absolutely no reason to buy a modchip.
gameking66 said:
QUOTE(Wever @ Apr 6 2010, 01:48 PM) A WODE is able to play Gamecube games from USB, which is something softmod users currently can only whine about dream of.
Welcome to this week. May I take your order?
You know...a simple Work In Progress shot distributed over an IRC channel on the first of april isn't exactly what I would call a reliable source for "soon". Especially since Crediar never mentioned anything that pointed in that direction. Except, of course, with a lot of goodwill and clouded judgment.

But since you're both too eager to contrast my remarkings with something you think is exclusive knowledge to even realise what I've written, I'll politely say it again:

A WODE is able to play Gamecube games from USB, which is something softmod users currently can only whine about dream of.

Anyone else wanna be a wiseguy?
rolleyes.gif

Yoshi Party

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
well I also have a wasabi chip but I thought Riivolution wouldn't support even disc backups
ohmy.gif

if its true I guess I will have to reburn super mario bros :=)

fairlyevenparents

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
compatibility, reading disc at normal speed(6x), and the gamecube games from a USB

Edit:
USB loading has great compatibility, i think if you use CIOSCORP its like 99.99 % compatibility
USB loading can read at more then normal speed(6x)
Gamecube games from USB might be possible in the future?

gameking66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
roku93 said:
Except that softmods can soon play GC games from USB. There's absolutely no reason to buy a modchip.
gameking66 said:
QUOTE(Wever @ Apr 6 2010, 01:48 PM) A WODE is able to play Gamecube games from USB, which is something softmod users currently can only whine about dream of.
Welcome to this week. May I take your order?
You know...a simple Work In Progress shot distributed over an IRC channel on the first of april isn't exactly what I would call a reliable source for "soon". Especially since Crediar never mentioned anything that pointed in that direction. Except, of course, with a lot of goodwill and clouded judgment.

But since you're both too eager to contrast my remarkings with something you think is exclusive knowledge to even realise what I've written, I'll politely say it again:

A WODE is able to play Gamecube games from USB, which is something softmod users currently can only whine about dream of begin to test.

Anyone else wanna be a wiseguy?
rolleyes.gif
Fix'd it for you.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yoshi Party said:
well I also have a wasabi chip but I thought Riivolution wouldn't support even disc backups
ohmy.gif

if its true I guess I will have to reburn super mario bros :=)
You do realize that a chip makes the Wii read a backup as an original, right?

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well crediar mentioned to me that even with the stuff he's added, we still need a modified mios. But still Wever, what do you mean by "Especially since Crediar never mentioned anything that pointed in that direction." hmm i dunno how about the countless people who've had gc games show up in the disc channel from usb in sneek? is that pointing in the right direction Wever? Anyone else wanna make stupid comments without actually doing research?
rolleyes.gif
see what i did there?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
gameking66 said:
Fix'd it for you.
Not quite. Coders and testers don't fall under my definition of the average softmod users.

kyle007hmm i dunno how about the countless people who've had gc games show up in the disc channel from usb in sneek?
Is it?

If so, I apologise...I missed all of those countless people. I thought the current situation was that only wii games worked in the disc channel. But I admit I don't follow the everyday progress of sneek/uneek.

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well the current situation is gc games in the disc channel from usb, but non playable. Because as i said crediar told me we still need a modified mios to play them, but even having them show up in the disc channel is a huge accomplishment

nagnose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't watch retail DVD's with a modchip, while you can with softmodding -> but have no idea why you would want to

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Lol, display gamecube games in the disc channel. Did you ever use NeoGamma's rebooter? If you use it, let the Wii identify the disc and then turn off the wii, and turn it on again. Then it still shows the disc in the disc channel, even if it wouldn't do that normally. I guess the data what disc is inserted could be manipulated to make the wii think there's a GC disc inserted.

And a WODE doesn't play GC audio streams and will never do. That's a good reason for me to prefer a good modchip over a WODE.

terminal_illness said:
i use both. i read most of my games off usb. however i use the old wiikey2 when i want to use riivolution with a backup, or play metroid prime trilogy and select whatever difficulty i want.

i like having both.

oh yeah and like mentioned above. it plays ALL gc backups. (except alien hominind and i dont know why...)

You can try NeoGamma R9 beta with WiiGator's cMIOS installed. Since it now plays retail discs, you might be lucky.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Thought I'd point out the obvious that no one seems to have posted yet.

IF you are going to use discs then sofmods only allow 3x read speed, most mod chips allow 6x speed.

This is not a problem for most games but their are a few that are really slow, jumpy or imo unplayable with softmods. If you're going to use USB loaders then this point is invalid though.

The best combo at present is imho WiiKeyV2, WODE + softmod.

kitt050383

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nagnose said:
Can't watch retail DVD's with a modchip, while you can with softmodding -> but have no idea why you would want to

ummm yes you can!!!!
do you even have a modchip?

I personally believe it's best in this day and age to have both!

my wii: wiikeyv1, parts off cioscorps/darkcorps, cios rev17b, hermes cios. bootmii as boot2 and ios, priiloader!!!!!

-kitt

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat