What are the Advantages & Disadvantages of IOS58?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by LWares87, Aug 18, 2010.

Aug 18, 2010
  1. LWares87
    OP

Member LWares87 The 'Wise' Merchant

United Kingdom
    There has been a question that has been bugging me, since some developers started using IOS58.

So, my question is what are the advantages and disadvantages of this IOS? I wanted to find this out for anyone else, who decides to ask or take advantage of this for their own project in future.

Edit: By the way... this is open for discussion and I don't mind what anyone says, as long as it's correct and confirmed.
    Although, I'd rather have an expert opnions, to be honest on the subject. [​IMG]

2. s3phir0th115

Member s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hmm. The advantages I can think of.....

-Official USB 2.0 Support
    -Won't become deprecated (Stubbed/mothballed, etc.), since a few official games use it.

Don't really know of any disadvantages when you have the new homebrew channel's hardware access method.

3. sorgelig

Member sorgelig GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    For end-user it doesn't give noticeable advantage or disadvantage.
    Properly working USB2.0 application either though cIOS or IOS58 will work equally.
    IOS58 gives you official USB2.0 support, but it's not so useful.
    Where USB2.0 can be used? Only Mediaplayer comes to my mind. But Wii doesn't require high bandwith since hardware is too weak. There is no HDTV output, so you are limited for SD content, for which USB1.1 is simply enough.
    USB2.0 mostly need for USB loaders, but they can not work on vanilla IOS since they have to trick system to make USB storage look like DVD drive.
    USB-LAN can get some advantage from USB2.0. I only not sure if USB-LAN adapter works on USB2.0 speed under IOS58. But Wii is not generic computer. You don't need to download large files. For browsing pages and downloading NUS updates USB1.1 is fairly enough too.

USB1.1 gives you 11mbit/sec. Ok, 8mbit/sec of useful bandwith. It means 1 megabytes per second. Where on Wii hardware higher speed will give any noticeable changes?

P.S. I don't want to talk about AHBPROT here since it's not IOS58 feature.

4. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

If anyone with a USB-LAN adapter can run some benchmarks under IOS58 compared to other IOSes, I would be interested in the results.

5. sorgelig

Member sorgelig GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    i'm using USB-LAN.
    Can you provide benchmark application for test?

6. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    well, 1 Mbyte per second is slow
    Anything that need to constantly load stuff from USB device obviously take benefits of USB2 speed, this includes everything that need to handle files too big to fit in RAM (N64/PSX/NDS/DC/etc emulators, media players, games, etc).

7. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    wii SX won't even run fast without usb 2 try playing it off an sd card without the usb 2 mod.

8. wes11ph

Member wes11ph GBAtemp Fan

Afghanistan
    @op
    where are you going to use ios58?

9. LWares87
    OP

Member LWares87 The 'Wise' Merchant

United Kingdom
    I installed it as soon as System Menu 4.3 came out and because, it wasn't safe at the time and still is now as i'm aware.
    Anyway, I decided to update and install Wii Shopping Channel v19, IOS61 v5661 and IOS58 v6175 to keep up-to-date and stay on 4.2 at the same time.

I have no intentions to use IOS58 for my own use. Only to use with whatever is available, along side with my external HDD. [​IMG]

10. muck chucker

Member muck chucker GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Waninkoko was going to use ios58 as a base with rev 20 but then said he wasn't going to use it just Before release maybe in future revs it will be included.