Hacking What are the advantages and disadvantages of linked and unlinked EmuNANDs?

bunny5390

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
the Land of the Rising Greenhouse-gas-emissions
XP
Country
Canada
^

As in,

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages that come with keeping SysNAND and EmuNAND linked? I've heard the thing about Data Management deleting invalid installations, does this mean I'll have to back up my SD card if I want to manage StreetPass titles?

2. What are the advantages and disadvantages that come with unlinking SysNAND and EmuNAND? I've heard that there are some things about Savedatafiler compatibility, and I take it that purchases made on one NAND can't be used on the other.

Thank you!

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^

As in,

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages that come with keeping SysNAND and EmuNAND linked? I've heard the thing about Data Management deleting invalid installations, does this mean I'll have to back up my SD card if I want to manage StreetPass titles?

2. What are the advantages and disadvantages that come with unlinking SysNAND and EmuNAND? I've heard that there are some things about Savedatafiler compatibility, and I take it that purchases made on one NAND can't be use on the other.

Thank you!

As far as I know

Advantage [Linked]: The ability to dump xorpads or whatever and create cia files.

Disadvantage[Linked]: Every time you unwrap a gift, it will re-wrap itself next time you boot emunand. Also, Whenever you create an internet connection in emunand, it will also make one in sysnand (Not what you want, but easily fixed by deleting the conneciton on sysnand)

Now the advantages and disadvantages of unlinked:

Advantage: No more gift wrapping issue, everything will stay unwrapped now.

Disadvantage: Can't create cia files for DLC or whateever.

Someone can add onto this info.

Reactions: cvskid and Margen67

Aliahan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure you can still access Data Management fine in emuNAND. The bug is in sysNAND.

I keep them linked so my 3DS isn't nearly useless if for some reason I'm stuck in sysNAND, that way I can still access most of my retail stuff. If the CIA unwrapping issue doesn't bother you, and you remember to stay out of Data Management in sysNAND, then you can go ahead and keep them linked, it's not a big deal.

Jao Chu

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
On my 4.4 xl 3ds i only have one folder inside the 3DS folder on my SD card, which i think means that my emunand and sysnand are linked, but i never have to unwrap all my CIAs. Can provide a video for anyone interested.

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
Trophies
XP
Country
France
As far as I know

Advantage [Linked]: The ability to dump xorpads or whatever and create cia files.

Disadvantage[Linked]: Every time you unwrap a gift, it will re-wrap itself next time you boot emunand. Also, Whenever you create an internet connection in emunand, it will also make one in sysnand (Not what you want, but easily fixed by deleting the conneciton on sysnand)

u can create cia only on 4.x right

Sphaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
As far as I know

I don't know about DLC, but I can dump xorpads and convert *.3ds to *.cia just fine. And my NANDs are not linked.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, a way to create the XORPADs needed is also possible on 9.x.
u can create cia only on 4.x right

I mentioned this is the Gateway N3DS SOON thread and SonyUSA responded to me stating that making xorpads on 9.0 is possible as someone figured it out. I haven't looked into it yet but I'm sure a way will pop up once N3DS support comes from GW.

Reactions: Margen67

AlexaC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I didn't get the unwrapping issues and my sysnand and emuNAND is linked. Explanation please?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.