What are some of your controversial gaming opinions

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Majora's Mask is better than Ocarina of Time.
A Link to the Past is better than Ocarina of Time.
Metroid is the best in the Metroid series.
Mega Man 3 is better than Mega Man 2.
Zelda 2 is better than The Legend of Zelda.
In Mega Man X, they should have kept Zero dead.
Halo 1 is overrated.

Last edited by kuwanger,

speedyartoria

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People rag on the OPL series (used in the SoundBlaster 16 and AdLib) too much. They have some of the best gaming music on them, but people still say "durrrr it has the worst sound for gaming don't use it buy a sound canvas" because they're either biased or uninformed.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enjoyed mighty no 9. It is not the successor I wanted but it is definitely better than mega man x6 for example

D

Deleted User

Modern consoles, as I'm not familiar with the homebrew offerings on systems older than the Wii. I say it's useless because most of what it can accomplish can already be done (and often times better) by other devices, like PCs and smartphones. Now, I gotta be fair, too. 3DS emulators are useful because portability, save editors and mods are appealing to some as well. However, I personally haven't had/felt a need for much of that, so to me, homebrew doesn't mean much.
I'm gonna mention a few homebrew titles for older systems that may be of interest to you. You can Google them yourself. I would provide direct links, but not sure what the rules are on linking to homebrew titles:
Vulkanon for the GBA:
Basically a bullet hell shmup. The graphics are basic, but the game has a nice chiptune soundtrack, in addition to some interesting enemy/projectile patterns to deal with an memorize.

Cave Story for the Genesis/Mega Drive:
Exactly what you think it is. A port of Cave Story to Sega's 16-bit hardware. It's pretty cool, even though the music can get grating sometimes.

Streemerz for the NES:
A re-imagining (of sorts) of the game originally packaged with the Action 52. While this may turn off a few people from it, trust me; the game is well done (albeit difficult). It also has some pretty funny intentional Engrish.

G-Zero for the Genesis/Mega Drive:
F-Zero on a Genesis. This video shows it off:

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not really a compliment. Watching paint dry is more entertaining than playing MMX6.
that is true, but I enjoyed mighty no 9 regardless. I just meant to say that based on what I heard, I did not expect the game to be any good. but I liked it enough

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's some of mine, please do keep your head between your shoulders :P

Animal Crossing looks boring as sin.

Elder Scrolls Online is a good game.

Homebrew is useless.

Final Fantasy 6 isn't that great. Final Fantasy 15 is one of the best in the series.

People demand dual audio because in Japanese, they can't make out whether the VA is good or not and can then fool themselves into thinking it's better. Games are better played in a language you can understand.

Super Mario 64 is slippery, inaccurate, and aged poorly.
Homebrew is useless? :unsure:
I mean, i get to use gamecube controllers on Mariokart 8 on the Wii U thanks to homebrew so i don't think its that useless. :D

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Majora's Mask is better than Ocarina of Time.
A Link to the Past is better than Ocarina of Time.
Metroid is the best in the Metroid series.
Mega Man 3 is better than Mega Man 2.
Zelda 2 is better than The Legend of Zelda.
In Mega Man X, they should have kept Zero dead.
Halo 1 is overrated.
This is a thread for controversial opinions, not ones that are ri-

"Halo 1 is overrated"
Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to leave.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually liked MMX6. If you can get past the crap story and the potentially bad luck on stages, the Shadow Armor is ridiculously overpowered and breaks the game which is its own sort of fun.

Reactions: kingtut

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a thread for controversial opinions, not ones that are ri-

"Halo 1 is overrated"
Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to leave.
I like Halo 1 because it's simple. It's a basic game that is easy to pick up and has a fun and unique story. I don't like newer FPSs because a lot of them are to complex for me. The halo games are simple and that's why they are great in my eyes

D

Deleted User

I was never that big a fan of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Going from games like Oracle of Ages and Ocarina of Time to ALTTP, the game feels like it awkwardly balances elements from the first NES installment with new mechanics that would become refined and later perfected in future installments.

Oracle of Ages is still the definitive Zelda game for me.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright get your pitchforks out and get ready to demand a Maverick lynching

I not only like Destiny 1 and 2 but legitimately enjoy them and their lore, and think that despite some hiccups that are more than likely Activison being fucking greedy scumbags (you know like they've done for literally any modern game they've touched) they're decent games. Destiny 1's DLC shit is unforgivable but given Bungie's passion for it, and Activision's notorious track record for mismanagement, and general incompetence, I'm going to say that the passion behind the game was overridden by greedy corporate execs and that's why The Taken King, which feels like a really complete package and what the game was supposed to be, was DLC, along with lesser DLCs like the Dark Below and House of Wolves. To me, those felt more like sidequests or sidestories that don't have much impact on the world or any real threat, and are there to distract you from a much bigger threat. I understand expansions happen, but playing through their content with the Taken King makes me question if they weren't also planned to be there for the start.

tl;dr Destiny 1 and 2 are fun games and I enjoy them a lot. Fuck the haters, the police, and above all else, fuck Activision.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nintendo is the best.
Oh wait, that's a fact!
On second thought, lynch this guy instead

Reactions: Seliph
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna mention a few homebrew titles for older systems that may be of interest to you. You can Google them yourself. I would provide direct links, but not sure what the rules are on linking to homebrew titles:
Vulkanon for the GBA:
Basically a bullet hell shmup. The graphics are basic, but the game has a nice chiptune soundtrack, in addition to some interesting enemy/projectile patterns to deal with an memorize.

Cave Story for the Genesis/Mega Drive:
Exactly what you think it is. A port of Cave Story to Sega's 16-bit hardware. It's pretty cool, even though the music can get grating sometimes.

Streemerz for the NES:
A re-imagining (of sorts) of the game originally packaged with the Action 52. While this may turn off a few people from it, trust me; the game is well done (albeit difficult). It also has some pretty funny intentional Engrish.

G-Zero for the Genesis/Mega Drive:
F-Zero on a Genesis. This video shows it off:

Homebrew games can be pretty cool. Though I always thought, why release those games to such a limited audience? Wouldn't it be better to make the game on PC rather than as a homebrew title? I dunno, is it easier to create homebrew games? Might've been, back in the day.

Homebrew is useless? :unsure:
I mean, i get to use gamecube controllers on Mariokart 8 on the Wii U thanks to homebrew so i don't think its that useless. :D
That's pretty nice! I should've probably said "useless to me" since I'm not really interested in most things homebrew can do, haha.

YeezusWalks

STRANGE JOURNEY CHADS RISE UP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon R/B/Y (Gen 1) Is wayyyyyy too overrated... i mean... it's good but not as good as the gen wunners think...(i don't think this is that unpopular of an opinion...)

Also my brother might just be the king of very unpopular opinions about games... name a game and there's a high chance that he hates it

Reactions: TheTrueDream42
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Homebrew games can be pretty cool. Though I always thought, why release those games to such a limited audience? Wouldn't it be better to make the game on PC rather than as a homebrew title? I dunno, is it easier to create homebrew games? Might've been, back in the day.
Well, they have those, they're called indie games. The thing about homebrew is that a big part of it is the console itself. Put yourself in the position of an excited, young developer; you just hacked your Playstation Triple and your Xbox Curcle. To get to know the consoles, their limits, and what they're capable of, you port things like Doom, Quake, and so on to them, not just as a reason to play them -- you can go play them on any other device just fine, but the fun is in being able to say "I got Doom and Quake to run on the PS3/360 natively through homebrew."

There's other reasons for it too, like all the emulators on portable consoles. Having huge libraries of games on the go is a huge, huge thing for a lot of people. There's a lot of reasons that go into homebrew that aren't just "i wanna make a game." I hope this has brought a bit of insight into it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...