Hacking What are some good things to do with linux on PS4 5.05?

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to this: https://segmentnext.com/2018/03/12/ps4-firmware-5-50-exploit/. Ps4 5.05 can run Linux on it by using the Web exploit. As far as I understand, webkit exploit is not full jailbreak and thus is fully reversible (unless I got that part wrong). And I also heard that apparently people can do really cool shit with Linux on PS4 (apparently dolphin emulator can run on ps4, and someone got some steam games running like Bastion).

My question is, do these stuff I mentioned above indeed work with ps4 5.05? Also what other things can you do with Linux on PS4? I have seen reports that Linux can run on PS4 5.05 but I do not know if there are any cool stuff to do with that?

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
According to this: https://segmentnext.com/2018/03/12/ps4-firmware-5-50-exploit/. Ps4 5.05 can run Linux on it by using the Web exploit. As far as I understand, webkit exploit is not full jailbreak and thus is fully reversible (unless I got that part wrong). And I also heard that apparently people can do really cool shit with Linux on PS4 (apparently dolphin emulator can run on ps4, and someone got some steam games running like Bastion).

My question is, do these stuff I mentioned above indeed work with ps4 5.05? Also what other things can you do with Linux on PS4? I have seen reports that Linux can run on PS4 5.05 but I do not know if there are any cool stuff to do with that?
Which is the part about linux? Can't find it.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No, you need kernel access to run linux.

Reactions: KiiWii

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's about the userland exploit. No kernel exploit was mentioned.
No i know that part. i am just wondering what can you do with Linux using just a webkit exploit. I know that kernel exploit is what is needed for jailbreak. but I am not talking about that. Nevermind I noticed it said 4.55. But the article still mentions possibility of Linux on 5.50 using the same webkit exploit 4.55. or did I read that wrong?

Last edited by kingtut,

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
No i know that part. i am just wondering what can you do with Linux using just a webkit exploit. I know that kernel exploit is what is needed for jailbreak. but I am not talking about that. Nevermind I noticed it said 4.55. But the article still mentions possibility of Linux on 5.50 using the same webkit exploit 4.55. or did I read that wrong?
For Linux, you need kernel exploit and there's no known kernel exploit for 5.50. Even 5.05 (?) is private.
For now, be patient.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Show me qwertyuiop running Linux on 5.50. The article states he did and he doesn't even mention it on his Twitter. As far as I'm aware, even if running Linux as a GuestOS, you need kernel access.

Reactions: kingtut and KiiWii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "Impossible he memorized every book on the planet..."