Gaming What are some good SRPG(SJRPG) games?

jtenma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a huge fan of Fire Emblem (Path of Radiance was my gateway drug) and I figured since I like FE...I might as well start going after these types of games. Feel free to recommend GBA games to as well, since my DSLite does have a GBA slot as well. I am craving any SRPG (SJRPG) at the moment.

What I've already played:

+All Fire Emblem's released in US only
+Super Robot Wars: Original Generation Dualogy
+Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
+Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Thank you fellow 'Tempers in advance!

jtenma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How could I forget advance wars? I never tried it because of Fire Emblem, I always thought of FE being the better game without trying AW.

Also, I didn't know a Disgaea came out for DS...
blink.gif

5%

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You should definitely grab Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi(Fire Emblem: The Sword of Seals) for the GBA. There's a translation patch which is more or less 100% complete. Roy is the protagonist
yay.gif

jtenma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pitman said:
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Rondo of Swords
Luminous Arc 1-3 (3 is J only)
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness

QUOTE(5% @ Apr 3 2010, 11:55 PM) You should definitely grab Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi(Fire Emblem: The Sword of Seals) for the GBA. There's a translation patch which is more or less 100% complete. Roy is the protagonist
yay.gif

OOOH. Thanks! Will do!

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Hero's Saga: Laevatein Tactics
Knights in the Nightmare

All very difficult and a bit different from the other ones on your list. Especially Knights in the Nightmare. Only for serious SRPG fans but you'd have to try it before you decide if it's for you or not. Personally, I love them.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Knights in the nightmare is one of the easiest games i've ever played. There is absolutely nothing difficult about the game, and I was playing it initially in freakin' Japanese (i don't know a single squiggle of japanese). It's just boring. Interesting concepts, but poorly executed.
---

Only game I can recommend is Disgaea. I've never been a huge fan of SRPG's, but Disgaea actually got my addicted to it for quite a long time.
Prinnies are just too awesome.

chad13dale

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
GBA: Yggdra union.
All the advance wars
FFTactics advance
DS: Lock's quest. this is more of an rts but meh.
front mission. the graphics are outdated but.... it's damn hard. there's a newer one but square doesnt
plan on localizing it so... sucks..
FFTactics A2. short but sweet.
Valkyrie profile CotP. short but brutal
super robot wars k and w. if you're a fan of this series, you can breeze through this game without knowing any japanese

ShinRyouma

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia

jtenma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All great suggestions guys, thank you!

Also, thanks again for linking me to the translated Super Robots ShinRyouma!

jtenma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hells Malice said:
Knights in the nightmare is one of the easiest games i've ever played. There is absolutely nothing difficult about the game, and I was playing it initially in freakin' Japanese (i don't know a single squiggle of japanese). It's just boring. Interesting concepts, but poorly executed.
---

Only game I can recommend is Disgaea. I've never been a huge fan of SRPG's, but Disgaea actually got my addicted to it for quite a long time.
Prinnies are just too awesome.

I will steer clear of Knights of The Nightmare then.

Also, Covenant of the Plume doesn't look to good to me, but thanks again everyone!

Vsc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Valkyrie Profile on DS eats most of the other games on breakfast. It's just that damn good.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hells Malice said:

rofl2.gif

Forgive me if I interpret this post as total bullshit.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GeekyGuy said:
Hells Malice said:

rofl2.gif

+1 to that.
It takes up to an hour just to go through the tutorials to learn how to play the game and then the learning curve on getting the hang of everything is even longer.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Leamonde.Halcyon said:
GeekyGuy said:
Hells Malice said:

rofl2.gif

+1 to that.
It takes up to an hour just to go through the tutorials to learn how to play the game and then the learning curve on getting the hang of everything is even longer.

I went through the tutorials in japanese, haha. I couldn't read crap, I just had to interpret either pictures or animations (I forget which, been like a year since I played).

I'm no amateur gamer. So evidently for the average gamer the game should be pretty easy. A hardcore gamer like myself would find it incredibly easy.
A casual gamer might find it really hard though, or someone who has a learning disability and can't pick up on the game concepts that fast.

It actually annoys me to no end when I hear how hard people say the game is. It really genuinely NEVER challenged me. Except one boss...I forget who it was though. Truthfully I wish the game were actually hard, because it's a really cool game...it just got really boring because it was never challenging.

Vsc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So, like 95% of gamers consider the game hard, then You come in and say its easy, so everyone else should pretend that your point of view is right? Or what?

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vsc said:
So, like 95% of gamers consider the game hard, then You come in and say its easy, so everyone else should pretend that your point of view is right? Or what?

I don't want to participate in a flame war, so I won't comment further regarding what I think of his posts. But let's just say that after over 30 years of gaming, I don't consider myself a casual gamer. I'm also fairly competent in terms of my thinking processes. I just don't accept his response as being based in reality. But if that's the pitch he's selling, to each his own, I guess.
rolleyes.gif

Back OT, Knights in the Nightmare is a very clever take on SRPG gameplay, it can be fun, and it's worth diving into if you have the patience to learn its very complicated and complex systems. Though a highly functional autistic may find the game to be "easy," it's definitely not easy to learn, I assure you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't...