Homebrew What are some good, avaliable, Wiiflow Friendly 100gb or more USB drives/hdds?

JanosValentine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The compatibility guide is a hot mess of low capacity drives and low compatibility barely even tested drives that aren't specifically tested for Wiiflow, and most of the devices with more than a 100 gb of storage space it lists are exceedingly difficult to find, some are even hard to identify because nothing useful comes up in a search engine.

I recently made this mistake of getting a PNY 128 gb flash drive (it's Fat 32 formatted and properly set up just like my last HDD, which worked fine) and it can't run Gamecube games properly from any loader occasionally one will work ok but normally they either blackscreen fail to load or they crash to a Gamecube Error Message during gameplay, usually shortly after starting them up. NMM, which I originally thought to be the culprit, apparently isn't.

It also can't play movies with Mplayer, attempts to launch them just blackscreen or crash out back to the Wiiflow or system menu, but all the movies on it run just fine with WiiMC.

Wii games on the other hand work fine with the flash drive from any loader, no problems whatsoever.

Then with a Storite HDD I recently got off Newegg, everything will load, but games will randomly freeze. Movies on the otherhand work perfectly with Mplayer with this device. I can't make any sense whatsoever of this.

So basically what I'm looking for is at least a 100 gb drive that's tested and worked with Wiiflow, able to properly run Gamecube Games (no crashing five or ten minutes in) and Wii Games and preferably movies though it's not a deal breaker, that I can actually purchase somewhere.

Does anyone know of such a device?

Last edited by JanosValentine,

secretclean

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having the same trouble. I'm using a 32GB Sandisk flash drive and want to play some WADs but it won't load most of them (I installed all 800+). I put them all in a nand using ModMii, and the ones that DO play say they've run out of storage space and won't save. I don't know what to do. I think this board has been abandoned for the Wii U board, too. :(

JanosValentine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The setup I have now for my niece's Wii required some ini modding, since Wii MC won't work with FAT 32 I had to set my 128gb 2.0 pny flash drive to ntfs to play any movies on it, gamecube games wouldn't work right under any format. Since ntfs won't run emunand, like at all, I ended up just installing the wads to my system menu then manually moving them one by one to my SD card which has plenty of room, then I went into the wiiflow ini and source menu ini and disabled the nand buttons so that they just wouldn't show up in Wiiflow. Some of the best wiiware games, like Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask, won't even run in emunand anyway so this is a better solution for me.

The thing is, the whole reason I got a white wii was to set it up so that my niece could play a collection of gamecube games, and I've got like 30gb free space on my flash drive for them, but it simply will not run them well under any format. I need a high capacity drive that can. I guess until someone can suggest one that works and isn't too tiny to be useful, I'll just have to buy gamecube games on ebay for her.

I can't find a single good source of information on USB HDDs or Flash Drives over 100 gb that are actually tested with Wiiflow and confirmed to work with at least both Gamecube and Wii games.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The compatibility guide is a hot mess of low capacity drives and low compatibility barely even tested drives that aren't specifically tested for Wiiflow, and most of the devices with more than a 100 gb of storage space it lists are exceedingly difficult to find, some are even hard to identify because nothing useful comes up in a search engine.

I recently made this mistake of getting a PNY 128 gb flash drive (it's Fat 32 formatted and properly set up just like my last HDD, which worked fine) and it can't run Gamecube games properly from any loader occasionally one will work ok but normally they either blackscreen fail to load or they crash to a Gamecube Error Message during gameplay, usually shortly after starting them up. NMM, which I originally thought to be the culprit, apparently isn't.

It also can't play movies with Mplayer, attempts to launch them just blackscreen or crash out back to the Wiiflow or system menu, but all the movies on it run just fine with WiiMC.

Wii games on the other hand work fine with the flash drive from any loader, no problems whatsoever.

Then with a Storite HDD I recently got off Newegg, everything will load, but games will randomly freeze. Movies on the otherhand work perfectly with Mplayer with this device. I can't make any sense whatsoever of this.

So basically what I'm looking for is at least a 100 gb drive that's tested and worked with Wiiflow, able to properly run Gamecube Games (no crashing five or ten minutes in) and Wii Games and preferably movies though it's not a deal breaker, that I can actually purchase somewhere.

Does anyone know of such a device?
you want a western digital hdd or a seagate hdd preferably one with its own power source and no-autosleep/powersave function

JanosValentine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you want a western digital hdd or a seagate hdd preferably one with its own power source and no-autosleep/powersave function
So would this for instance work with both Gamecube and Wii games & Wiiflow as long as I disabled idling?

I want to be sure I get the right product because it's expensive to keep buying them and trying them out based on the compatibility guide alone.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So would this for instance work with both Gamecube and Wii games & Wiiflow as long as I disabled idling?

I want to be sure I get the right product because it's expensive to keep buying them and trying them out based on the compatibility guide alone.
i dont own that model but im going to say no because of this

Password protection and 256-bit AES hardware encryption
Help keep your files secure.

WD Backup software
With automated scheduling options lets you back up your files to your Dropbox account (not included) for easy file management.

all that encryption and automatic actions make it harder for your of a wii (a really weak pc) to keep up
you should try to find one with less features like this one for example
Seagate Expansion 1TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive Black STBV1000100 - Best Buy

btw please explain to me how you renamed the link you posted :huh:

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using two Toshiba 500GB USB 3.0 drives for years with our Wiis. They've both worked fine, except for the fact that one of them needs to be connected after starting the launcher app. The other, a blue Canvio Passport has worked flawlessly. I don't know what might be causing that difference, but I should note that the blue one has a regular mini USB cable, while the weird one has a micro10p connector (looks like a micro USB with another bit attached).

Edit: I would advice against any drive that has an idling feature, because sometimes they give problems with Wii even if you disable it. Sometimes it can't be disabled at all.

Last edited by Edgarska,

JanosValentine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont own that model but im going to say no because of this

Password protection and 256-bit AES hardware encryption
Help keep your files secure.

WD Backup software
With automated scheduling options lets you back up your files to your Dropbox account (not included) for easy file management.

all that encryption and automatic actions make it harder for your of a wii (a really weak pc) to keep up
you should try to find one with less features like this one for example
Seagate Expansion 1TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive Black STBV1000100 - Best Buy

btw please explain to me how you renamed the link you posted :huh:

Thanks much for the advice, unfortunately that device isn't available they say it's sold out. Do you think this one would work the same? I'm pretty sure but want to make sure there isn't something you know that I'm missing here.

To rename a link, you basically just type the text in, then highlight it and click that little link icon at the top of the comment, and paste the link in a little box that comes up.

@Edgarska Is this the type of device you use by chance?

Imma write down good high capacity drives that people have working with wiiflow for GC and Wii games for future reference if I ever need to help someone in the comments.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks much for the advice, unfortunately that device isn't available they say it's sold out. Do you think this one would work the same? I'm pretty sure but want to make sure there isn't something you know that I'm missing here.

To rename a link, you basically just type the text in, then highlight it and click that little link icon at the top of the comment, and paste the link in a little box that comes up.

Imma write down good high capacity drives that people have working with wiiflow for GC and Wii games for future reference if I ever need to help someone in the comments.

Not exactly, but mine were purchased 5 years ago, so the models will be different. This is the one that works flawlessly, called Toshiba Canvio V6, I don't know if they still sell them.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

this is the one i use

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s