Hacking what are my chances bricking wii with softmii

BMasterP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got a pal 3.3e wii with hbc and backuploader gamma, since i'm very curious about softmii and realy want to go and use my wii for homebrew i got scared bout all the banner bricks and all. so i figured if i install softmii i got a starfall backup plan in case something goes wrong.(whatever that may be).

So my question is, what are my chances bricking my wii by installing softmii. i read somewhere i got to change a .dol file to boot.dol but after downloading the SoftMii_0.9.5-fixed-healthscreens.rar i didn't see this anywhere. so now i want to know if i folow the guide that came with the rar file how my chances are of bricking my wii.

FRanatic

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Some (well, probably all) apps used in the softmii pack can brick you some way or the other.
So by using it you agree to that risk. However, when following the included guide you should be just fine.
Make sure you UNDERSTAND what the risks are and what you are doing with each step. That way, you'll succeed.

The installation of custom screens and such can brick you, but the installed PreLoader allows you to recover at that stage in the install. The installation of custum screens and such are OPTIONAL. There's no real need for it. It's just cosmetics.

Just dl the pack and start reading. If you think you understand, read again. Use google to learn about the included apps and files.
Lots of info is on these forums so, search for it.
Also check the softmii forums for additional info and support.

Hope that helps you out. Good luck.

Golfje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

I already use the backup gamma channel. I have a pal wii with firmware 3.3e, do i need to downgrade ?? Or can i just skip that step ??

FRanatic

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Golfje said:
Hi,

I already use the backup gamma channel. I have a pal wii with firmware 3.3e, do i need to downgrade ?? Or can i just skip that step ??

Just follow the guide included in the pack.

BMasterP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Girlfriend just woke up( wii is in the bedroom) going to install right now, get back here when done.

thanks for the reply

BMasterP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
tryd installing preloader, but it just has the .25 install not the 26, i checked the files on the sd card and preloader 26 is there just not named boot.dol, i figure al i have to do is rename preloader 26 to boot.dol and then install it using hbc then follow the rest of the guide, only question left, isn't it better to just get preloader 27 then put it on the sd cards and install that instead of 26? or will i get in trouble when i do that?

forbore

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, I installed 0.27 and it works fine. I heard people say that they did the same so it should also work for you. 0.27 has some bug fixes so I think it's better. Just one thing, go on softmii.com and you should see a hacks.ini for your region. Put it one your SD card and replace the one that is already there. If not, you'll get a minor "brick" which can easily be fixed by doing this. Hope you succeed:D!

BMasterP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i really looked aty softmii.com but couldn't find a hack.ini file. In the thread softmii 1.0 alfa released i see a copy pasted hacks.ini file, isn't that one for 1.0 and not 0.9.5? also do i have to replace the root hacks.ini file or the one in the preloader dir?

forbore

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
copy the pasted code in a text program and save it as hacks.ini. Out it in your SD card and replace the old file. THat will prevent you from getting semi-bricked. I had to do that as I had semi-bricked.

BMasterP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
took the hacks.ini from softmii v1 alfa, copyd that to the preloader v .26 dir and to the root of the sd card. install was fine i got softmii'd.
problem i ran into is that my ntsc wario ware sm. wont boot. my wii just hangs on black screen and i have to do a hard reset.
is something wrong with my hacks.ini? couse my pal house of the dead2 plays fine[thank god fo that] so i figure the installation went ok. reason i,m asking this is couse my wii should be region free right? ww sm does boot within backup loader on my wii only in b &w.

FRanatic

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
BMasterP said:
took the hacks.ini from softmii v1 alfa, copyd that to the preloader v .26 dir and to the root of the sd card. install was fine i got softmii'd.
problem i ran into is that my ntsc wario ware sm. wont boot. my wii just hangs on black screen and i have to do a hard reset.
is something wrong with my hacks.ini? couse my pal house of the dead2 plays fine[thank god fo that] so i figure the installation went ok. reason i,m asking this is couse my wii should be region free right? ww sm does boot within backup loader on my wii only in b &w.

Disable the 'force disk region' hacks.

BMasterP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
don't have any region free hacks enabled.exept for the gc and channel region free. did install the arc that came with softmii

forbore

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Then maybe you should try enabling it. Just a random guess as I don't have this game.
smile.gif

BMasterP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
did that allready. just used the hacks.ini from the hacks.ini post thats near the top atm. when i force disk region it will go into b&w. with the region free hack[or without] it just hangs at black screen. should i assume the disk hasn,t got pal output. the only thing i still don,t get is that my old ps1 with ntsc games does give me color. my xbox 1 when put to ntsc mode from menu[avalaunch or whatever dash] will give me color. but my ntsc wii games play in black and white[except for the ones i also could force region in backuploader gamma or softchip]. so i know 4 sure that its not my tv. couldn't it be the supplyed cables that came with the pal wii[in the old ps days the supplied cable was the reason all ntsc games played b&w with the stock cables that were suplied here in the pal region[dutch and german consoles]]??????

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1