What are cia and 3dz files?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by NutellaSwirl, Dec 13, 2014.

1. NutellaSwirl
    OP

NutellaSwirl GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Canada
    Also, what advantages and disadvantages are there for each? Thanks

2. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    In layman's terms, .cia files can be installed straight to the 3DS system menu. This means they don't have to be run using Ninjhax (in the case of homebrew) or Gateway (in the case of retail games). They just run straight from the system menu.
    In reality, you still need to use Gateway (or a CFW) to boot up EmuNAND and thus be able to use Devmenu to install the .cia files anyway. In my opinion, .cia files are most useful for using homebrew without having to load up Ninjhax.

.3dz files are the same as .3ds files but with a modified header to allow the rom to be used online.

3. Glisern

Glisern Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2007
    Norway
    Also worth noting that a .3dz is not needed, if the online game is installed as a .cia, as it will then use the machines headers.

4. NutellaSwirl
    OP

Dec 13, 2014
    Canada
    I heard Gateway doesn't support .3dz files. Does that mean I cannot play games online?

5. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Gateway does support .3dz.

6. NutellaSwirl
    OP

Dec 13, 2014
    Canada
    Thanks. Is there a guide or a video somewhere that can explain all this? I don't want to waste your time

7. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
  8. jimskeet2002

jimskeet2002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 8, 2009
    Greece
    I was looking for something like this since I am a gw newbie.
    Do the cia roms get saved on the sd of the 3ds? And when you want to run one do u need to be in gateway mode or you can run them on sysnand mode too?
    Also how do you apply an update for a game that is available on the eshop in order to play online.

Last I read on the link that you modify the header of a rom with a dump of a cartridge done by gateway.
    Does this mean that you can dump any cartridge you have and use this one on any rom you want? For example I have a mario kart 7 cartridge. When I get my gw I can dump this one. Export a header and use this header on any rom I want to play online?

9. dontay0100

dontay0100 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2007
    United States

If you installed the CIA files on Gateway Emunand, or Gateway mode you will always need a Gateway to boot into that mode. But I suppose if you were to somehow install the games using Gateway Launcher 1 using DEVMENU you would no longer need a Gateway but considering Launcher.dat version 1 is very old and is incompatible with Devmenu so thats a no go :/

Also you could install CFW but its very buggy and doesn't load 100% of the time and newer games like Smash aren't compatible.

If you try and load a game via sysnand it will tell you to redownload the software again via eshop... so the best solution as of right now is having EMUNAND, GATEWAY... However if you have a friend or vice versa you could use GATEWAY to boot into emunand and just never power off the device.. you could then say a permanent solution but once its powered off you will need Gateway again lol..

10. jimskeet2002

jimskeet2002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 8, 2009
    Greece
    Ok you got me a little confused now :P
    My concern is how will I play games online with gateway once I get my gw and they release 9.2 support. I read about 3dz on the link earlier. Would this be a better way over cia files? Is it easy to convert a 3ds to 3dz and play online with this rom?

11. jocopoco

jocopoco Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2014
    Can I lunch an hb by CFW? and how?

12. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    So using homebrew to install cia which were 3dz roms before they were converted, correct?

13. ground

ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    Honestly it doesnt matter, it just depends on how you want to start the game. If you want to play it from the red card using the gw multimenu use a .3dz file. If you want to install it on your 3ds and have it show up on your home menu, use a .cia

14. jimskeet2002

jimskeet2002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 8, 2009
    Greece
    Ok. The process is the one that I said earlier?
    Create a dump from any genuine 3ds cartridge.
    Export the bin and use this bin on any rom and then rename to 3dz?

15. Dothackjhe

Dothackjhe GBAtemp Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    Philippines
    I just came across .3dz files for the first time while I'm downloading 3DS games in this format. The question is, are .3dz files convertible to .cia via the same tool used for .3ds files?

I was actually referring to RikuKH3's 3DS Simple CIA Converter.

Although I could personally know this before asking, I asked anyway since I'm still in the process of downloading the files, which is gonna take some time for one with a slow internet.

Last edited by Dothackjhe, Sep 23, 2015
    siknik64 likes this.
  16. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    3dz just tells Gateway to try and use the header in the ROM for online play. Just rename it to .3ds and it should convert into a CIA fine.

siknik64 likes this.
  17. Arikaido

Arikaido GBAtemp Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    United States
    Don't mean to hijack a thread, but I didn't wanna clog things up with a noon question: these files; cia, 3dz, 3ds; can they only be run via GW or a CFW? I'd like to alter my system as little as possible and don't have the $$ to drop on a GW.

18. Dothackjhe

Dothackjhe GBAtemp Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    Philippines
    Thanks. I'll do just that.

19. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    CFW can only use .cia, you need a gateway for .3ds and .3dz (they are run directly from the gateway cartridge)

Look for the rxTools tutorial thread (for old 3ds) and the ReiNand tutorial thread (for new 3ds).

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Have a read about "legit" CIAs (there's a sticky). You can install those in gateway mode (or rxMode) and then the games will be available in sysNAND as well (no need to start up a mode).