Hacking What are BC and MIOS in SysCheck report?

sjogro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi I recently made a SysCheck report on my modded Wii and wondered what these are:

BC v2
MIOS v65535

I found an article about MIOS here, but can't find out what BC is or stands for. Also, can't find anything about different versions or importance of it. Anyone want to clarify? The link I provided about MIOS doesn't list my particular version...

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
"Backwards Compatibility", it's based on boot2, and is a loader for MIOS.

65535 is the highest 16-bit number starting from 0, it's a (likely customized) version of MIOS with the version number changed to avoid it being updated!

sjogro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks! So it appears my MIOS is modded.. Is there a preferred configuration of BC / MIOS, like there is a 'suggested' cIOS installation ? And what tools are there to update them? Or is this all irrelevant?
I load GC games with Nintendont (Wiiflow masterpiece mod) and haven't run into any trouble...
... Just curious and trying to learn more of the workings of the Wii..

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks! So it appears my MIOS is modded.. Is there a preferred configuration of BC / MIOS, like there is a 'suggested' cIOS installation ? And what tools are there to update them? Or is this all irrelevant?
I load GC games with Nintendont (Wiiflow masterpiece mod) and haven't run into any trouble...
... Just curious and trying to learn more of the workings of the Wii..

It doesn't matter. You most likely have either DIOS-MIOS (an older way to run GC games off of USB/SD) or a hacked MIOS that lets you play burned discs. Since Nintendon't runs fully in Wii mode it bypasses BC/MIOS completely.

Reactions: sjogro

portugeek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're only ever going to play .iso's from a usb drive, using Nintendont or Devolution, then you'll be fine. However, if you want your Wii to have full functionality with retail GameCube discs then you'll want to install the official BC and MIOS.

For example, the early versions of DIOS MIOS didn't allow you to play retail discs from the disc drive. This was eventually fixed in later versions of DIOS MIOS, but even so, game compatibility never did reach 100%.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I would expect these DIOS MIOS compatibility issues to exist whether you were usb loading, or disc loading, via DIOS MIOS. The BC is still calling for a modified MIOS in both cases. It seems to me, that if the modified MIOS had compatibility issues, (such as an inability to properly handle audio streaming) that games dependent on that feature would fail to function correctly while operating under that MIOS.

Last edited by portugeek,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Gamecube's audio streaming was processed in the drive's hardware. It played the files as if they were CD audio, so when games are running from a disc image there's no hardware to decode the audio. Nintendont and Devolution got around it by using a software player to emulate the drive's decoder but nobody has tried backporting it to DM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.