Hacking What are all the remaining things a Wii can do, that a modded out Wii U can't?

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my old Wii is dying. It still works, but it's on its last legs. Over the years my hacked Wii U has replaced my old Wii in just about every feasible way. Yet, I do still have a few things of that I can think to use it for. When my Wii goes, I want to know if there is anything more that I would need to replace it for. Now granted, you could say being able to natively handle GameCube discs is a feature, but considering SD and USB loading being as good as it is via Nintendont on the Wii U, I'd say its a feature I don't need at all.

So with that in mind here are the 3 remaining features I've thought of:

1. Connect a GBA to the Wii U via a GameCube to GBA link cable and play select GameCube games with the features that playing with a connected GBA brings, making some experiences like multiplayer Four Swords Adventures and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles unobtainable on a Wii U. This comes down to all available Wii U to GameCube controller adatpers lacking the proper internals that can interpret the GBA data that gets sent through the link cable.'

2. Connect GameCube mics or any mic in place of them to the system and be able to use them for GameCube games that made use of the GameCube mics like the Mario Party games. Sadly USB mics can not be used in place of the memory card mics of the GameCube on Wii U.

3. Playback DVDs. This wasn't even possible on every model of Wii, but the earlier models could be hacked to play DVDs, with plenty of issues for sure, but it was possible to accomplish all the same.

Now I can tell you my need for the ability to do number 3 is non-existent, I have more DVD and bluray players anymore than I know what to do with. And even that shit is not how I tend to get my fill of media with streaming being a thing these days. So really only needs 1 and 2 apply to me. And it occurs to me that I don't even need a Wii for issues of 1 and 2, I could instead opt for a GameCube to replace my Wii if that's all I need it for anymore.

Furthermore, since issue 1 is of interest to me, it makes the GameCube an even more appealing device as I could get a GameCube player to natively play any gen Game Boy game on the GameCube and even use a connected GBA controller for it at that.

I know hacking a GameCube to have an SD loader is a bit more work than hacking a Wii, but the end result could be all the more satisfying to my needs. But am I missing something else that the Wii can do that a Wii U can't? Or have we essentially reached the point where a Wii is more or less obsolete in the face of owning a hacked Wii U and Gamecube?

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

There is still maybe left some Issues with Rockband/Singing Games (3rd Party) Equipment and SD Card Content Loading.
In the Meantime,@blackb0x ´s USBLoader GX Version works very,very good and there is no longer need of hermes cIOS (222/223) for these Games.

Except this (and no really effective Brick Protection like BootMii and Priiloader),the vWii is really compatible to "replace" the Wii.

For the Brick Protection:

- a vWii NAND Backup
and
@GaryOderNichts awesome vWii Nand Restorer
should also be enough.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.:)

There is still maybe left some Issues with Rockband/Singing Games (3rd Party) Equipment and SD Card Content Loading.
In the Meantime,@blackb0x ´s USBLoader GX Version works very,very good and there is no longer need of hermes cIOS (222/223) for these Games.

Except this (and no really effective Brick Protection like BootMii snd Priiloader),the vWii is really compatible to "replace" the Wii.

For the Brick Protection:

- a NAND Backup
and
@GaryOderNichts awesome vWii Nand Restorer
should also be enough.:)

Hmm, well I have many of the Wii Rock Band and Guitar Hero games on my Wii U, connected with my emunand in USBLoader GX to play a shit ton of the DLC songs. I have no problem connecting any of my instruments and using them, including 2 mics, wireless Guitar Hero Guitars and Drumset, and my RB3 wireless Keyboard connects and plays on my RB3 on my Wii U no problem. So if there are any instrument game related problems, I've not come across them, and that includes with all instruments available (granted I haven't tried Rock Band guitars or drumsets, but since GH instruments work for the RB games, those wouldn't be an issue for me anyway).

Not really concerned with brick protection of my vWii though, never bricked it yet with well over 4 or 5 years of it being hacked at this point.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hmm, well I have many of the Wii Rock Band and Guitar Hero games on my Wii U, connected with my emunand in USBLoader GX to play a shit ton of the DLC songs. I have no problem connecting any of my instruments and using them, including 2 mics, wireless Guitar Hero Guitars and Drumset, and my RB3 wireless Keyboard connects and plays on my RB3 on my Wii U no problem. So if there are any instrument game related problems, I've not come across them, and that includes with all instruments available (granted I haven't tried Rock Band guitars or drumsets, but since GH instruments work for the RB games, those wouldn't be an issue for me anyway).

That is why I wrote 3rd party Equipment.Not everyone has the Orginal Equipment.:)
And not all USB Hubs work,also not on the Wii.
Rockband 3 is "special" - no Guitar Hero Equipment is really working.
By the Way Guitar Hero is easy,it works with the Wii Motion Controllers.:)

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is why I wrote 3rd party Equipment.Not everyone has the Orginal Equipment.:)
And not all USB Hubs work,also not on the Wii.
Rockband 3 is "special" - no Guitar Hero Equipement is really working.
By the Way Guitar Hero is easy,it works with the Wii Motion Controllers.:)

Ah my bad! Sorry missed that third party part.

But you're wrong about Rock Band 3, my GH guitars and drumset connect to it at the same time as my RB3 Keyboard and mics on my Wii U, with no issues. I always use USBLoader GX if that makes a difference to this issue.

I guess specific compatibility may be spotty, especially with 3rd party peripherals, but I guess if a Guitar controller works and a USB hub works with the system, then that isn't really of concern to me in terms of what a Wii U is absolutely incapable of.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
For my Wife and me,we leave it (Guitar/Sing Games) on the Wii.:)
Also for the GameCube Games.

15 - 20 Euros for a "Replacement RVL-001 Wii" is not too expensive.
Every "Household" needs a Wii in Case of Emergency.:lol:

But as mentioned above,the vWii is a very good Wii Replacement today. daumen.gif

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For my Wife and me,we leave it (Guitar/Sing Games) on the Wii.:)
Also for the GameCube Games.

15 - 20 Euros for a "Replacement Wii" is not too expensive.
Every "Household" needs a Wii in Case of Emergency.:lol:

But as mentioned above,the vWii is a very good Wii Replacement today.View attachment 248682
Oh I get it, if I had troubles with my instruments connecting to my Wii U that would be a major issue, as I still regularly play the old Rock Band and Guitar Hero games with my friends and girlfriend. They're just great party experiences. But legit they don't yield any problems on my Wii U, (at least none more so than on the regular Wii: loading all the extra DLC via the emunand does make the initial boot up time take considerably longer regardless of which device I boot from), I just double checked Rock Band 3 right now and am happy to report that my Keyboard, GH drumset, GH guitar, and 2 mics are all connected and working without issue.

Playing most GameCube games is not a problem on the Wii U with Nintendont, it really is just to make use of a connected GBA or using the mic for GameCube games that used them that my Wii U can't do that my old Wii can, or likewise that a GameCube could as well. And shit, the later models of the Wii and the Family edition would be completely useless to me considering their lack of GameCube ports.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did find a solution to get back the ability to use a GBA as a controller with GBA games on a Wii U (or it's an option for regular Wiis too). Granted, you still don't get native Game Boy playback like the Game Boy Player can offer, but emulation is strong enough on Wii U where that really isn't much of an issue. Anyway: https://shop.insidegadgets.com/product/wireless-gameboy-controller/ this product turns your GBA into a wireless controller to be linked with a corresponding input including as a Wiimote adapter or a GameCube port, either of which can be used with GBA emulators on the Wii U/vWii. So that's a cool neat alternative solution that gives that Game Boy Player feature, and even kinda gives it a benefit in being a wireless solution. I'm sure I'm not the first to recognize this, but it's news to me, so I figured I should share in case it may be to you too.

Reactions: Alexander1970

tronsonic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On vWii, you can't use a gamecube controller with any Wii games that supported it, even with the official nintendo gamecube adapter. Basically anything that required "native control" in nintendont won't work on Wii U, this includes the DK Bongos. They don't work well at all on Wii U. There seems to be some added latency and clapping isn't registered properly. Those are the main drawbacks of vWii I've noticed.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On vWii, you can't use a gamecube controller with any Wii games that supported it, even with the official nintendo gamecube adapter. Basically anything that required "native control" in nintendont won't work on Wii U, this includes the DK Bongos. They don't work well at all on Wii U. There seems to be some added latency and clapping isn't registered properly. Those are the main drawbacks of vWii I've noticed.

You're wrong about the DK Bongos. They operate like normal GameCube controllers and work just fine with the vWii (I would know, I have 2 of them and clapping registers just fine) the only "native control" devices that don't work in the vWii are the GBAs connected with the GBA-to-link cable.

You're right that GameCube controllers don't work with games on the vWii that normally would support them, however, there is a project that is nearling completion to reimplement GameCube controller support for Brawl on the vWii with the GameCube controller adapter. i don't know if that work will be able to be patched to other vWii games, but even if not, it sure makes it clear that it's possible that feature can be reapplied.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You already mentioned it, but playing NGC games with another game controller that's not the original, feels totally aweful, at least for me.

I still load my Wii just to play some NGC games. I could use a NGC but its not as easy to mod as the Wii.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You already mentioned it, but playing NGC games with another game controller that's not the original, feels totally aweful, at least for me.

I still load my Wii just to play some NGC games. I could use a NGC but its not as easy to mod as the Wii.

Well you know you can use actual GameCube controllers for GameCube games on a Wii U through Nintendont, as long as you have one of the 4 port GameCube Controller adapters connected to the Wii U, official or unofficial will work (though some unofficial ones I guess have caused issues for some in the past). This includes wired GameCube controllers, Wavebird controllers, the DK Bongo controllers, and the DDR mats. Again, the only type of connection through a GameCube controller port that wont work on a Wii U is a GBA with the GBA-Gamecube Link cable.

tronsonic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're wrong about the DK Bongos. They operate like normal GameCube controllers and work just fine with the vWii (I would know, I have 2 of them and clapping registers just fine) the only "native control" devices that don't work in the vWii are the GBAs connected with the GBA-to-link cable.
idk but from my own experience I find the Donky Konga games practically unplayable on Wii U, whereas on Wii (with native control enabled) or in Dolphin I can play the same songs just fine. The input lag with the DK Bongos in Nintendont on Wii U is pretty noticeable, at least for me. Also there is no way to change the slider for clap sensitivity on Wii U so simply pressing the start button triggers the clap.

Last edited by tronsonic,

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idk but from my own experience I find the Donky Konga games practically unplayable on Wii U, whereas on Wii (with native control enabled) or in Dolphin I can play the same songs just fine. The input lag with the DK Bongos in Nintendont on Wii U is pretty noticeable, at least for me. Also there is no way to change the slider for clap sensitivity on Wii U so simply pressing the start button triggers the clap.
I'd genuinely question if your bongo controllers are a little defective or something, as I've played plenty of the Konga games and Jungle Beat on my Wii U with the bongo controllers and neither of my bongo controllers are operating in any way different than how they play on my original Wii.

tronsonic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd genuinely question if your bongo controllers are a little defective or something, as I've played plenty of the Konga games and Jungle Beat on my Wii U with the bongo controllers and neither of my bongo controllers are operating in any way different than how they play on my original Wii.
thats weird you don't notice but Native control definitely has less input lag since it removes that extra layer of processing. just google "native control input lag wii" and you a lot of people discussing it. On Wii U, adjusting the clap sensitivity in Donky Konga's options doesn't make any difference. I can't see my clapping on the sensitivity meter despite being able to hear it in the game. Pretty sure it's like that for everyone. It really works for you?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1