Homebrew Emulator What "arcade boards" can emulate each core of MAME 2003 Plus? (meaning of each MAME 2003 Plus core?)

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
OP
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hello!!! :D

I recently started using RetroArch Wii for play a bunch of arcade games on Wii.

Since i'm interested in MAME arcade games i started using MAME 2003 Plus cores which comes with RetroArch Wii (specifically i'm using @SuperrSonic's RA-HEXAECO), and I got working PAC-MAN in the Core A, but i don't know what does the cores "mean", or better said, what arcade thing can emulate each core variant.

I have all these core variants of MAME 2003 Plus:

upload_2021-7-30_9-20-8.png

These MAME 2003 Plus cores are in my RA-HEXAECO 7z file, but i don't know what type of arcade can emulate each one of these "cores".

• mame03_plus_coreA.dol (i think for Namco System 1 arcade machine games but i'm not sure)
  • mame03_plus_coreB.dol (?)
  • mame03_plus_coreC.dol (?)
  • mame03_plus_coreD.dol (?)
  • mame03_plus_coreE.dol (?)
  • mame03_plus_coreF.dol (?)
  • mame03_plus_coreG.dol (?)
  • mame078.dol (?)
  • mame2003_midway.dol (?)
I've also found these other variants of "arcade emulators" in RA-HEXAECO:
  • mrboom.dol (?)
  • segasonicbros_coreD.dol (?)
  • sailormn_fba2012.dol (?)
  • pacman.dol (?)
  • tyrquake.dol (?)
  • tmnt_xmen_twin_ultra_coreE.dol (?)
  • cannonball.dol (?)
Can anyone explain me what is the meaning of each variant of all of these MAME2003 Plus cores? Better said, can anyone tell me what arcade machine can handle/emulate each core of MAME 2003 Plus?

Thanks in advance!! :)

Rainman82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there the different cores were created for best compatibility for mame games. There was a list ages ago that specified which games for which core would work. I don’t know if I still have it someone may be able to link the thread to it on here or provide it. midway core I think is for mk games from what I can remember like 1-2.

Reactions: SaulFabre

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://gbatemp.net/threads/mame2003-compatibility-list.551556/

@SaulFabre
This list started by @Tetsuo Shima is as complete you will find. I myself poured a lot of time into this project along with Tetsuo, @mastershoes and many others. It is not 100% complete but i would consider it done for the most part.

The midway core is an extension of core C.

For games that have not been verified but are very likely to run... Spoiler on post #73 of that thread.

Please keep in mind @Wiimpathy RA 1.7.6 modified cores are much more stable/compatible than the RA-SS cores in my testings. The vast majority will work but some games requiring sound samples need to placed in the correct folder/path. Ill post RA-SS audio samples path when i get a chance on my Wii.

Cannonball is an emulator for enhanced version of arcade game Outrun. It is excellent and if you cannot find the files necessary to get it running PM me. The other dols you posted, i have not tested or was unable to get running.

Last edited by RunningSnakes,

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
https://gbatemp.net/threads/mame2003-compatibility-list.551556/

@SaulFabre
This list started by @Tetsuo Shima is as complete you will find. I myself poured a lot of time into this project along with Tetsuo, @mastershoes and many others. It is not 100% complete but i would consider it done for the most part.

The midway core is an extension of core C.

For games that have not been verified but are very likely to run... Spoiler on post #73 of that thread.

Please keep in mind @Wiimpathy RA 1.7.6 modified cores are much more stable/compatible than the RA-SS cores in my testings. The vast majority will work but some games requiring sound samples need to placed in the correct folder/path. Ill post RA-SS audio samples path when i get a chance on my Wii.

Cannonball is an emulator for enhanced version of arcade game Outrun. It is excellent and if you cannot find the files necessary to get it running PM me. The other dols you posted, i have not tested or was unable to get running.
Ok thanks for the info @RunningSnakes ;)

Reactions: RunningSnakes

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
I figured it out when @RunningSnakes gave me a mod of RA-HEXAECO r11-05-2021, here:

1635466800347.png

Here i saw that the following cores (A,B,C,D,E,F,G...) emulates different arcade boards: (edited with correct info thanks to @SuperrSonic, @RunningSnakes, @JuanMena - LAST EDIT: 29-10-2021)
  • mame03_plus_coreA.dol = Namco / Nintendo / Irem
  • mame03_plus_coreB.dol = Taito
  • mame03_plus_coreC.dol = Midway / Williams
  • mame03_plus_coreD.dol = SEGA / Data East
  • mame03_plus_coreE.dol = Konami
  • mame03_plus_coreF.dol = Atari / SNK
  • mame03_plus_coreG.dol = Jaleco / Eroge
  • mame03_plus_coreH.dol (Core H) = A few Capcom games
All other different cores (mame078.dol, pacman.dol, segasonicbros_coreD.dol, etc...) can be found here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-gre...tm-a-call-for-adventurers.563575/post-9107765

A quote from @SuperrSonic:

fbneo_cps1.dol = Updated CPS-1 emulation, supports 3P Final Fight romhack. The original is kept in case speed/compatibility changes too much.
fbneo_sega.dol = FBNeo doesn't fit on Wii, this build only includes some SEGA drivers (System 32 was the goal but it doesn't work.)
fbneo_20pacgal.dol = Similar to the reasons above, this combo version of ms.pacman/galaga doesn't work in the other arcade cores. They have this machine in my local arcade so I thought it would be cool to have it on Wii too. They're the same exact games with very minor differences.
mame2003_midway.dol = https://github.com/libretro/mame2003_midway but I can't tell you if it's any useful.
mame078.dol = It's shrunk MAME 2003, only there for compatibility.

sailormn_fba2012.dol = If you use FBA to load this game from the System Menu, the game starts without the wiimote connecting. This build removes the huge game list and many unused drivers, and brings the file size from 12.5 MB to 1.6 MB, it loads faster and the wiimote gets recognized.
segasonicbros_coreD.dol, pacman.dol, tmnt_xmen_twin_ultra_coreE.dol = same as above.
Greetings to all ;)

Last edited by SaulFabre,

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
I figured it out when @RunningSnakes gave me a mod of RA-HEXAECO r11-05-2021, here:

View attachment 282116

Here i saw that the following cores (A,B,C,D,E,F,G...) emulates different arcade boards:
  • mame03_plus_coreA.dol = Namco
  • mame03_plus_coreB.dol = Taito
  • mame03_plus_coreC.dol = Midway
  • mame03_plus_coreD.dol = Williams
  • mame03_plus_coreE.dol = SEGA
  • mame03_plus_coreF.dol = Atari
  • mame03_plus_coreG.dol = Jaleco
All other different cores (mame078.dol, pacman.dol, segasonicbros_coreD.dol, etc...) can be found here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-gre...tm-a-call-for-adventurers.563575/post-9107765

A quote from @SuperrSonic:

Greetings to all ;)
last message edited - contained incorrect info

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Williams = Core C1
Midway = Core C2
Sega = Core D
Konami = Core E

The Midway core is only needed for...
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
NBA Jam
NBA Jam TE
Rampage World Tour
Smash TV
Total Carnage
Trog
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
WWF Wrestlemania

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Williams = Core C1
Midway = Core C2
Sega = Core D
Konami = Core E

The Midway core is only needed for...
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
NBA Jam
NBA Jam TE
Rampage World Tour
Smash TV
Total Carnage
Trog
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
WWF Wrestlemania
@RunningSnakes

Thanks, but where i can download these another cores...?

Because in the MAME2003+ Wii Compatibility List (https://gbatemp.net/threads/mame2003-compatibility-list.551556) there are other cores mentioned:
  • Core A2
  • Core C2
  • Core D2
  • Core E2
  • Core F2
  • Core G2
  • Core H
Specially the core E2 because it's the unique core that can actually run the arcade title "The Simpsons Arcade Game"... and the core H because i can't find it anywhere... but a question: what can emulate the core H??

Any download links for these cores A2, C2, D2, E2, F2, G2, H?

Thanks a lot :)

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those Hexaeco Arcade cores do not exist. I am not positive if RA-SS is a fork of Wiimpathy final release. For example Simpsons is for Wiimpathy Core E2, but RA-SS Core E plays Simpsons fine. There is some compatibility loss using SS cores which is why Wiimpathy cores are recommended. Biggest loss is no Core H which is Capcom.

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador

Attachments

• MAME 2003 Plus - H.dol.rar
    1.3 MB · Views: 91

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@JuanMena

You're using @Wiimpathy's MAME2003+ Wii cores, right?

I most use RA-HEXAECO for them xD

Also your romset of "The Simpsons" by Konami you have is "simpsn2p.zip"... doesn't the regular "simpsons.zip" romset work on core E (Konami)?
"simpsons2p.zip" allows me to choose a character on 1 player, "simpsons.zip" is stuck on Marge with 1 player. Same for TMNT and Sunset Riders.

And yes, using Wiimpathy's cores.

Last edited by JuanMena,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over