What Anime would I like if I like Death Note?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Satangel, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Satangel
    OP

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    I really loved Death Note, and I would like to know if there are more Anime series like that.
    I also love Beyblade and Medabots, but that's mostly because I grew up with those.
    I've heard about an Anime called Monster, anyone familiar with it?

2. Sjaz

Sjaz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2009
    Netherlands
  3. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Definitely Code Geass. It was the first anime I ever really watched and I watched it before Death Note. IIRC, they're coming out with R3 this year as well (even though most things were wrapped up in R2).

4. luke_c

luke_c Big Boss

Jun 16, 2008
    Land of England
    Yeah, definitley Code Geass, also it's not a R3, and it's not based on Lelouch either
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    But a completely new character.

5. Danny Tanner

Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

Dec 28, 2009
    United States
    New York
    I didn't really like Death Note, so I didn't watch the whole thing, but I know it had some psychological components, so you might like Serial Experiments Lain. I thought that was an excellent and pretty unique anime.

Wonder if I should give Death Note a second chance, a lot of people seem to like it...

6. Guild McCommunist

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Even for a spoiler that was too much of a spoiler. And yeah, I know the ending, I finished R2.

I thought it was gonna follow the events after R2, not to mention there was kinda that little mysterious little cliffhanger with C2.

7. Sjaz

Sjaz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2009
    Netherlands
  8. Satangel
    OP

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    But that Code Geass series, is that more childish like Pokemon/Beyblade or more adult like Death Note?

Also, anyone know something about that Monster series? I've read somewhere it's very alike to Death Note, so I think I would love that Monster series too.
    I've found a link already for the whole series, but I want to know for sure if it's gonna be good or not.

Big thanks already.

9. Krisboo

Krisboo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Near a Magic place...
    I watched some episodes of Monster, and i can tell you, it's very good, you should watch the anime.
    Try it out.

c ya.

10. Guild McCommunist

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Childish? Oh God no. It's quite adult. Segregation, racism, massacres, blood, some language, nudity, the usual stuff.

11. Satangel
    OP

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Okay, I'll ask my brother to download it.
    If anyone got some other suggestions, please share.

12. X D D X

X D D X GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Try a series called One Outs. It's about Baseball but it's very psycological between players of the team and the coach. Lots of people compare it to Death Note.

13. Cermage

Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 2, 2007
    as for series similar to death note, you wont get many by way of anime. as for monster being similar to deathnote, there isn't much except that its fairly heavy, its an okay series. seeing as you haven't seen many, i'll probably be steering way of more general recommendations.

you should try out sayanora zetsubou sensei. its a comedy by shaft and does have a fair bit of childish comedy but it does explore a couple problems in society. heck the students alone are fairly representative of that.

There's Eden of the east, while it doesnt explore as heavy themes. its very bourne trilogy-esque. very good series with a movie out and another coming out.

you could try out Welcome to the NHK, its a story about a hikki/Neet (which pretty much is a person who is afraid to go outside, and is unemployed, not in education or training) and how he tries to cure his fear of going outside. also another very nice series.

and you might like BECK, its a great series about a couple of guys who form a band and try to get a label. a very enjoyable series. both manga and anime are worth a read/watch.

14. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    Ive never heard anyone compare that series

they always compare death note and code geass

15. Shakraka

Shakraka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2007
    United States

Last edited by Shakraka, Oct 19, 2015
  16. Skid00dshi

Skid00dshi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2009
    United States
    Your Face
    Welcome to the NHK.
    Chaos;Head
    Try those.

17. luke_c

luke_c Big Boss

Jun 16, 2008
    Land of England
    What cliffhanger was that?

18. Satangel
    OP

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    I accidentally opened the spoiler and read it, I feel so bad now [​IMG]
    I know from myself that I'll never forget these things, fuck, I ruined so much from the series now.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm busy with Monster and Code Geass now, but I'll keep this thread bookmarked if I need a new Anime.

19. Defiance

Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Terminus
    Along with Death Note, I really enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist. They aren't too related, but I figured I would throw it out there anyway.

20. Guild McCommunist

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Well, now that we've all ruined the ending...

Basically, C2 used to talk to Lelouch's mom (whatever her name was), even though she was dead. In the end, she's talking in the same manner she did to Lelouch's mom, but instead she says "Lelouch". Not to mention that the chick stated that her body was kept preserved in case there was a chance she could return to it. Not to mention that the same chick was also able to possess that Knight of the Round.