What anime are you watching/planning on watching?

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saw that there was a video game thread, and figured I'd make one for anime!

Anyways, I just got through the first two seasons of the Castlevania Netflix adaptation, and while it was OK overall, and had a strong start, the second season kind of just dragged on with a lot of focus on no-names or characters that got more focus than they should have for the part of the story they were in. Is the third season any better?

Either way, I plan on watching Hellsing Ultimate next. It's been in my backlog lately, and I've been itching for something over the top for a while. I've seen clips and this and that here or there, but I can't remember if that was for the one that follows the manga or Ultimate, which does.

So, GBATemp, what anime are you watching atm, or planning on watching soon? ;)

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Saw that there was a video game thread, and figured I'd make one for anime!

Anyways, I just got through the first two seasons of the Castlevania Netflix adaptation, and while it was OK overall, and had a strong start, the second season kind of just dragged on with a lot of focus on no-names or characters that got more focus than they should have for the part of the story they were in. Is the third season any better?

Either way, I plan on watching Hellsing Ultimate next. It's been in my backlog lately, and I've been itching for something over the top for a while. I've seen clips and this and that here or there, but I can't remember if that was for the one that follows the manga or Ultimate, which does.

So, GBATemp, what anime are you watching atm, or planning on watching soon? ;)
While the 3rd season may have more episodes, I honestly still found the 2nd and 1st seasons to be way better than the 3rd. I felt that the pacing was odd and that could be due to the 3rd season receiving more episodes than usual.

I'm not really watching anything at the moment because I'm trying to devote my time to studying but I figure when it's exam week, I'll probably end up watching the entirety of Psycho-Pass 2, and finish the Monogatari series while I'm at it (Paused at the 2nd season of Owarimonogatari)

Might as well drop my AniList here.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't really have anything outstanding I wish to watch or rewatch. Can't rule out something I want to watch happening again but so very little desire to watch any these days.

For reasons unknown to anybody including myself I watched a few episodes of The Big O a few months back (think Batman The Animated Series as it is done in a similar style, but as a gundam and generally what you would expect out of a lowest mid tier late 90s/early 2000s effort). That was the first in quite a while actually.

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am only watching Digimon Adventure: since it is still airing but I really jumped off the anime train since like the beginning of quarantine for some reason

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just finished watching ★ Space Dandy ★ for the 3rd time. And have been re-watching my favorite episodes again, right after finishing the series.

If anyone hasn't seen it yet.. dear god what is wrong with you! Watch it right meow! ( Y ) :P It's basically an antithesis of Cowboy Bebop (Which I need to re-watch soon).

Just started watching Kill la Kill.. lol this is some horny-boy stuff but its pretty entertaining. Nothing feels as good as Space Dandy though.

Hellsing series is pretty dang good. Thats another one to add to the rewatch list.

Just finished xxxHolic again. Somehow I never realized the leading lady was an alcoholic and that's probably where the name come from. I thought it meant "Spirit"- holic the first time I watched. It's got lots of spirit action. (But Mushi-Shi is way better)

Last edited by TheCasualties,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mostly just Ghibli tbh. Last one we watched recently was the cat kingdom one, which was cool. We've seen most of the best-known ones but still got a bunch to go.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hoo boy, marathoning two anime in two weeks is quite the trip, but it will be something to look forward to as I blast through my backlog in the coming weeks as I try to focus on getting out of the debt hole.

Hellsing Ultimate was fine. Not quite as good as I was expecting. It's over the top to be sure, but it would've been nice if it the actual drawings weren't getting shat all over by the CGI that, especially in the final episodes where you have a lot of badass, gory, and scary shit happening, highlights its OVA-nature and kind of looks like some of the demons in the PS2 SMT games, which I find to be especially baffling considering that these episodes were apparently released once a year from the late 2000's-early 2010's (I think). It's especially disappointing considering that Berserk, from what I saw of the ending, didn't resort to PS2-grade CGI back in the 90's! And while these episodes were being made, you had anime like Fate Zero that used more than just whatever Berserk did back then, and yet it ended up looking far more visually cohesive than this adaptation that is apparently supposed to be accurate to the manga (which took over 10 years for the guy to finish because I guess you can be that lazy in getting things done) than the OG anime was (which I heard didn't had a pretty terribad ending). The dub was good, with Alucard owning every scene he was in, and characters actually having accents as opposed to just speaking regular English.

And then, Steins;Gate. I sort of am just like throwing a dart to whatever I want to watch atm, and I had heard good things about this one. As in, like, one of the best anime ever made, good iirc. While I don't think it's certainly the best, and as someone who really doesn't like time travel stories, I guess this one's not too bad. I just got through marathoning this one and...yeah, don't do that with this one.

Not because of the technobabble that they try to use to explain things that have turned me off from the idea of time travel stories in general. At its worst, it can be a gigantic mess of inconsistencies like with MK11, when mixed with MK9 and the original trilogy, etc.. At its best, it can be like Chrono Trigger, where how things play out can be inferred easily, and it doesn't go into the insanity that Chrono Cross introduces iirc. Where I started to check out on the whole time travel thing is when they get all Parasite Eve with it, where they try to explain all of the intricacies of timeline A and B and I'm just going over here like, "dude, I don't care if this thing or that thing or whatever thing happens that might "prove" that time travel is "real," you're still a work of fiction!" in the meta sense from my perspective as I'm watching it. Like, with Resident Evil, it never goes into how cells replicate and whether they're eukaryotes or prokaryotes and shit like that. It usually goes scientific enough to sound scientific, but never to the point where it feels like I'm reading a transcript to a college lecture (which this post is getting long enough to become at this point, but I created this topic, and I feel like some discussion of this and that would make for some good fun to take my mind off of the many scary things in the real world).

No, if anything, the problem I have with Steins;Gate...is that it takes too long to get to the point. I get it, they have to introduce new characters, something I'd be fine with...if they didn't have repeat interactions in every episode of the dub. Like, you have Kurisu (who, if you changed her hair to orange, would look like Elly from Xenogears) acting all tsundere and...considering that this is based on a VN, I think you can see where that goes, along with Mayuri being the Genki Girl, the nerd that's supposed to probably be a parody of those playing the VN and otaku culture in general, and other tropes that seasoned anime watchers will have become familiar with. Okari is fun and has a lot of presence, even if he reminds me of a certain other VN protagonist obsessed with saving everyone *coughs in Emiya Shirou*. Like, I think that you could have cut out, I want to say, maybe 4 episodes at the most and you would have had a complete story. Sure, you might have to edit things down a bit, but what masterpiece hasn't been through that process to help things flow better?

But, I had my fun with it, and as tropey as the characters were, their interactions in the dub were good. Speaking of the dub, I'd have to say that this one was great.

I don't score things numerically myself. I think that reducing things down to a number can induce arguments that really don't pay attention to what's actually being said. I had a fun time with both of the anime I gave my thoughts on. I'm mostly focusing on the things that I don't think others would say or have said, as the praises that have been said of each show have already been given by others, IMHO, and I'm pretty confident they're better at expressing themselves than I can be atm!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Currently only watching Boruto.
Planning on watching My Hero Acadamia, Sword Art Online and maybe Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
I've also been recommended a bunch of anime by a friend who's been on a bit of a binge recently, but I'm not sure if I'll watch any of those. I don't actually watch that much anime.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently only watching Boruto.
Planning on watching My Hero Acadamia, Sword Art Online and maybe Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
I've also been recommended a bunch of anime by a friend who's been on a bit of a binge recently, but I'm not sure if I'll watch any of those. I don't actually watch that much anime.

I watched all there is of JoJo currently. I tend to marathon anime in a successive period on and off, but due to not being in the mood to play games lately, my having to work for 5 days a week to get things done in 1.5-2 months, and just wanting to take my mind off of this world where trying to take your mind off of politics is becoming more difficult (which is hard in an election year, I get it, but I was honestly blindsided by Trump winning in 2016 until I saw all of the stuff on YT and went, "OH...Oh...No wonder he won") due to the lockdowns or guidelines they compel businesses to follow, lest they and possibly you get into big trouble depending on the situation...yeah, you get the picture.

Still, I heard that SAO falls apart later on. All I know about My Hero Academia is that it features a guy who reminds me of Captain Falcon!

Reactions: The Real Jdbye
D

Deleted User

God of Highschool, rewatching Love Live with a friend who never saw it before, Uzaki-Chan Only Wants To Hang Out, i also started One Pace (a fan made edit that removes filler from One Piece), as for future plans, some from the past 3 seasons i didnt watch when they came out, and Grand Blue

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
God of Highschool, rewatching Love Live with a friend who never saw it before, Uzaki-Chan Only Wants To Hang Out, i also started One Pace (a fan made edit that removes filler from One Piece), as for future plans, some from the past 3 seasons i didnt watch when they came out, and Grand Blue
Not sure on the anime but Grand Blue is definitely one of the best ongoing manga I've seen. Highly recommended even if you don't like diving at all.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Not sure on the anime but Grand Blue is definitely one of the best ongoing manga I've seen. Highly recommended even if you don't like diving at all.
not much of a manga reader myself (i hate reading lots of text on screen for long perriods of time, and rarely printed manga reaches ove here), but the anime was a recomendation from my best friend and nearly everything he recommended me was great, i'd say everything but he recommended me arifureta

Reactions: nxwing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person