Hacking What all has changed since the Official Review?

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In the official GBAtemp review of the DSTT they listed these as the "cons" of the card, though it was generally praised.

QUOTE said:
Cons:
- 99.99% compatibility (Contra 4 fails to boot)
- No file browser
- No alphabetical sorting
- Saves don't have seperate folder
- Game list lags
- Doesn't support multiple skins
- GBA support isn't built into the OS

Its been a while since the card released and now that its cheapity at DX and I'm kind of broke, I think I might just go and get one of those. Which of these "cons" have been addressed by their support team--and on that note, how good is the support team?

disc0rd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just picked up a DSTT last night and it works wonderfully. I had a few problems but was able to smooth them out.

I still haven't tackled homebrew or some of the other custom apps, but in terms of DSTT for straight gaming, i haven't experienced any problems.

*note*
create a game folder in your micro card to store all the roms. that helped me dramatically in terms of loading time and no freezing.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Contra works now. The rest is the same.

When it says "doesn't support multiple skins" it means that you can change skins, but you can't switch between different skins from the menu.

YSMenu (a homebrew menu system) has file browsing, alphabetical sorting, and built-in GBA support.

The support team has been OK. They have been releasing firmware updates about every 4 weeks or so; the last firmware update was the end of March. But their website has been down for several days (hopefully not a sign of a problem). The cart is distributed both by the manufacturer (under the name DSTT) and by Team Neo (under the name TTDS) so I imagine that somewhat increases the chances of decent support in the future.

-Bri

Sephi

fool
Trophies
Website
nov.us.to
XP
Country
United States
I have a DSTT and I've been using YSMENU mostly. the DSTT homebrew compatibility is very high, the only problem is that a few homebrew games might not boot. it has auto-dldi patching so that removes the need to manually patch on a computer. YSMENU has built-in GBA support in the browser. making things easy. skinning is stuck at just one skin, works fine though.

gizmo_gal

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I didn't see Bri's post before I made my 2nd post
shy.gif
I take too long to type and refresh I guess.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can use GBA ExpLoader with the official menu to load GBA games, so lack of GBA support isn't really a big deal.

-Bri

apocalypticvisio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as all have stated before, the menu stuff hasn't changed, but for the price of the card, it's function over form....i dun like tons of menus and extra options confusing me...gba support through ysmenu or through gbaexploader....saves in another folder would be nice, but sort by type or by name, the save shows up rigt next to it....or at least in some order....all the games i tried so far worked from various sites with various degrees of dump quality....latest firmware killed the compatibility issue...

Swip

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Urza said:
gizmo_gal said:
Urza said:
QUOTE said:
What all has changed since the Official Review?
Three better cards have been released.
Three cards for 20.oo USD? Please, by all means, point me in the right direction...
25, 32, and 32.
25 = Acekard 2?
32 = Edge?
32 = iTouchDS?

But you should get the $34 one.

Btw, Urza can i have a cookie if their all right?

gizmo_gal

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
gizmo_gal said:
Urza said:
QUOTE said:
Three cards for 20.oo USD? Please, by all means, point me in the right direction...
25, 32, and 32.

20.90 shipped beats 25, 32 and 32 every time for me. (What cards are you even talking about?)

I'm guessing the AceKard, Itouch and something else. I'm not dissing any of these cards, but I'm B-R-O-K-E and I can get a single DSTT for 20.90 shipped and that would be awesome!

@Bri Probably? "Probably" is worth even less than almost, and almost doesn't count.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The "something else" that Urza was most likely referring to is the Edge.

I said that the AK2 is "probably" better because it depends how you define "better." The AK2 has a much better menu system, but some might like the simplicity of the DSTT better.

-Bri

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gizmo_gal said:
Urza said:
gizmo_gal said:
Urza said:
QUOTE said:
25, 32, and 32.

20.90 shipped beats 25, 32 and 32 every time for me. (What cards are you even talking about?)

I'm guessing the AceKard, Itouch and something else. I'm not dissing any of these cards, but I'm B-R-O-K-E and I can get a single DSTT for 20.90 shipped and that would be awesome!
If 5-10 dollars makes the difference between a 'meh' card with almost no features and the three I mentioned, then you should be spending your money on food instead of video games.

Don't forget about the mortgage on your cardboard box either!

gizmo_gal

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
gizmo_gal said:

If 5-10 dollars makes the difference between a 'meh' card with almost no features and the three I mentioned, then you should be spending your money on food instead of video games.

Don't forget about the mortgage on your cardboard box either!

Wow, way to be condescending, Urza, good job!
glare.gif

Anyway, I plan on spending as little as possible now because I dont really want a DSTT, I really want a Cyclo. I had the money for my long dreamt of Cyclo but I gave it for groceries just recently and right now, I will be able to afford 20 bucks on a Slot one in about a week, and hopefully later, when money isn't so tight for my family, I will get a Cyclo DS Evo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.