What accessories should I buy for a New 3DS XL?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Saiyann, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Saiyann
    OP

Saiyann Member

Newcomer
    Apr 4, 2015
    Finland
    Hello guys,
    I am about to order a console, hopefully will be gatewayable :lol: ,
    Besides a charger, what else do I need?
    Are screen protectors and protective cases really needed? Thanks a bunch

2. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    I already scratched mine up a bit. I should buy myself a case :lol:

3. Drak0rex

Drak0rex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    Grips are a must have, and some nice skins can be found at decalgirl.com. An aluminum shell is also nice, and you can apply other skins to those and swap them out.

4. X_Frost

X_Frost GBAtemp Regular

Aug 30, 2011
    United States
    For clear cases, I haven't used one yet (plan on a silicone one)

For traveling cases, I used this. Looks nice (biased because I love leather.

5. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Crystal hardcase and screen protectors :)
    Carrying bag if you take it out with you on a travvel
    Spare styluspens, i already lost mine, and there not easy to find, styluspens for N3DS
    Wrist strap^, you never know, but i learned my kids to use a wrist strap when playing and it saved a fall many times. (I use Wii controller Wrist straps, there's easy to find everywhere)
    My Kids systems have full decal stickers on them to protect from scratches and then a clear hardcase (I know hard cases are more to protect from scratshes then falls)

6. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
  7. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    My Nintendo works for Dad
    I really only bought carying cases and matte screen protectors for my 3DSes. And even the screen protectors I only apply to the lower screen as that's the one you use the stylus on...

8. Megaben99

Megaben99 I'm not an intern. I'm a messenger of the Gods!

Mar 19, 2015
    United States
  9. Nusdogg

Nusdogg GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2013
    United States
    St. Paul, MN
    I just ordered me a clear hard shell case for my N3DS. Already got and installed my screen protector. Just can't wait to receive the shell case.

10. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I was on a cable and charging hub hunt this afternoon and picked up some 10' Apple cables. Could not find any long ones for the 3DS. NYKO made one with a WII U Gamepad adapter but the new version is WII U only.

Any ideas?

OP: a usb battery backup is nice to have.

11. tiduscrying

tiduscrying that butt...

Jun 12, 2012
    United States
    HELL
    I used to own an original 3DS, so once I got the N3DSXL, I really missed the extendable stylus. Luckily, china's got my back! :lol: They're pretty cheap, but they work really well. You get five in a pack, and that's a hell of a lot cheaper than most stylus-packs you can find in most retail shops. They rattle around just a weee bit in the stylus holder, but they're not going to fall out or anything.

I also highly recommend the decals from decalgirl. They may seem pricey for what seems like a glorified sticker, but they really help protect the system. Plus, since NoA didn't bring over the smaller-customizable model, decals are the way to go if you want to personalize your system and whatnot. I got one not too long ago. Thought it looked pretty nice!

Maximilious likes this.
  12. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    My Nintendo works for Dad
    the decalgirl decals are really nice, the sticker material is very good. However, shipping to other countries (Finnland for instance) is quite expensive. You may be able to find a shop that resells DG decals in your country, but quite often their selection is very limited (The one I know in germany for instance has just a small selection of decals and it wont even offer stickers in matte finish :( )

13. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I take my handheld everwhere, even to work. I always buy some sort of skin/case and screen protector for my handhelds, ever since my old Pokemon edition GBC. They're only $10 to $20 all together and may save you money and pain in the long run. Unless you just keep it at home, then you're probably fine with it as is.

14. luney

luney GBAtemp Fan

Aug 30, 2006
    United States
    I wouldn't even take mine out of the box after I set it up until the crystal case got here. Mine is a MM edition though. I just preordered that nice Zelda leather looking case and stylii someone posted a few posts back.

15. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    I got a dockung charger , screen protector and a wrist strap.

Then i already had a club nintendo cloth 3ds xl carrying bag.

Megaben99 likes this.
  16. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

Same deal here. Hori TPU case, MM 3DSXL, Zelda GS pouch and I also just ordered those extendable stylus'. Great find and recommendation tiduscrying!

tiduscrying likes this.
  17. Megaben99

Megaben99 I'm not an intern. I'm a messenger of the Gods!

Mar 19, 2015
    United States
    The dock is pretty sweet. Much nicer to just lay it in the cradle over plugging it in.

18. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Yea i love that dock. Also since its up righy, the weight of the n3ds helps push it onto the charging pins for a better connection then the o3ds dock.
    Also got mines for a good price. Inly paid $22 ship from the usa, so i got it in 2 days.

19. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Guess that's one of the advantages of the XL, as comparing the small models I actually have to push the New into the dock instead of just aligning the bottom and letting gravity slam in the old one...

As for what I got:
    USB charger (hand made from car charger -- swapped the halves with a miniUSB cable as I needed the 12 to 5 transformer for a GPS, and it cost me 4 € all included)
    Official home charger -- 40 € ("Free" with a 8.1 2DS bought for self-streetpass and "future use")
    Dock -- 10 €
    Xenoblade red faceplates -- 15 € (gets scratched reeeeally easy compared to original matte white one, seems the bottom half is thicker)

20. zhdarkstar

zhdarkstar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States