What about a Virtual GC Memory Card ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by speendash, Oct 29, 2009.

Oct 29, 2009
  1. speendash
    OP

Newcomer speendash Advanced Member

France
    Hi everyone !

so like the titles say , i was just wondering if a Virtual GC memory card could be create ?
    We all know that on wii hacking MANY things can be done so why not a usefull stuff like that (:
    maybe we could use the SD memory to use as a memory card by inport gci files ?

i'm just wondering ok ? i'm not a dev ! just want to have dev's or anybody else answer .

Thanks to read me (; (Sorry for my poor english , i'm french X.X )

2. SD5k

Member SD5k GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I think this will be really hard (maybe even impossible) as the Wii completely functions as a GC when you insert a GC game.

3. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

It wouldn't be impossible, though it would require heavy hacking of the MIOS. Worst case, you would have gamecube games run under a virtual machine monitor (NOT AN EMULATOR) and let that fake it.

4. speendash
    OP

Newcomer speendash Advanced Member

France
    Like you said it, it seem realy hard...
    i don't know details but i think it could be done, i mean, i remenber lot of people saying that a gamecube Backup loader will never be done , and look it's here for month already ^.^ .
    anyway, maybe for a Virtual GC Memory Card it's another story... i guess X.X

5. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Oh, is that all? [​IMG]

6. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I think running GameCube games in a Virtual Machine is not worth it. You'd always have some compatibility problems here and there, so buying an $8 memory card is a much more tempting solution.

Hacking the MIOS would be a better option (this is how the GameCube Backup Loader works) but the fact remains that it would require an awful lot of knowledge, skill and dedication that it's probably much easier to just buy a cheap memory card.

I got a huge one (128 MB, that's a lot for GameCube saves) from DealExtreme for only 8 dollars. They get as low as 5 dollars if you get a cheaper one.

7. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

That is what the PSP does for PS1 games and almost all games work (certainly better than the Gamecube backup loaders work). Given that the PSP doesn't even have a MMU, it should be even better on the Wii, though it would probably be quite a bit of work even using Dolphin source code as a starting point.

8. zapu

Member zapu GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    Guys, do you know a difference between running games under an emulator and running games under real hardware (just crippled a bit)?

9. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Virtual GC memory card? No problem. But i don't see the use of that, which wii game or software uses GC memory cards? If you want a virtual GC memory card in gamecube mode, just forget it. Until somebody managed to get gamecube games to run in wii mode, there won't be GC usb loading, virtual GC memcards, no wii mote support for gamecube games etc.