What a9lh payloads are we missing at the moment?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by 3xkrazy, Apr 29, 2016.

1. 3xkrazy
    OP

3xkrazy GBAtemp Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    Decryptor: Decrypt9WIP - check
    Emunand manager: EmuNAND9 - check
    File browser: GodMode9 - check
    Cart dumper: Uncart - check

All of the above are must have payloads imo, but I also think we need a save data manager. Working FTP would also be great, but I don't think network init has been ironed out yet. Anything else?

2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    I don't think I have the File browser - GodMode9 payload, pls may you send a link my way, the rest I do have..

3. 3xkrazy
    OP

3xkrazy GBAtemp Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    https://github.com/d0k3/GodMode9/releases

If you build the latest commit from github, you won't need slot0x05KeyY.bin for the n3ds.

4. proflayton123

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Im no good with building things from source :vv

5. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    AFAIK, a save data manager wouldn't work because you have barely booted NAND as early as most a9lh payloads. FTP might be possible, but decrypt/emunand9 allow you to dismount your sd card, and if you wanted to transfer files without removing your sd card, you are better off just booting into NAND and going from there since you can dump saves.

6. proflayton123

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    snow Oo

7. 3xkrazy
    OP

3xkrazy GBAtemp Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    http://dropcanvas.com/mdqcd

Use GodeMode9.bin for a9lh.

klear likes this.
  8. proflayton123

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
  9. 3xkrazy
    OP

3xkrazy GBAtemp Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    Well, if we have access to decryption/encryption (decrypt9) and basic file functions (godmode9) at boot, how not?

proflayton123 likes this.
  10. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    NAND is decrypted and loaded before save files. From my understanding, saves are decrypted after most a9lh features are loaded (if that makes any sense), since it is later in boot. Menuhax had access to this because it was later in the boot chain. (I am not responsible for misusing terms). It could still be possible though since we have the ability to decrypt roms and stuff (why I said AFAIK)

11. 3xkrazy
    OP

3xkrazy GBAtemp Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    Maybe one of the devs @d0k3 can provide some insight on this subject.

12. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    We need a way to boot an unpatched SysNAND. (Maybe still with FIRM patches to prevent overwriting a9lh, but without anything else.)

13. A_Random_Guy

A_Random_Guy Officially That Dev

May 22, 2015
    Malaysia
    Smea's closet
    CakesFW with signature patches disabled

14. Favna

Favna #PCMasterRace

Sep 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    FTP would be a godsend for n3ds users in case the nand is bricked and we need to transfer files

kthxbai

15. Khangaroo

Khangaroo $ORIGINALTITLE

Feb 27, 2016
    United States
    192.168.1.3 (don't ddos me!)
    Except there is no wifi in arm9 AFAIK.

16. Favna

Favna #PCMasterRace

Sep 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    Thread is only a theoretical "what do we need" thread soooooooooo

17. Khangaroo

Khangaroo $ORIGINALTITLE

Feb 27, 2016
    United States
    192.168.1.3 (don't ddos me!)
    I do have to admit I would really like it if it was possible since I lost my usb-otg cable.

18. Slashcash

Slashcash GBAtemp Fan

Oct 15, 2015
    Italy
    It's not *totally* impossible but it would be a tedious task. Saves are encrypted in a different way than nands and only decrypted when a game (or an homebrew) requests them. Managing them without the services already provided by ctrulib would mean re-writing a lot of stuffs. A lot of work for a program of limited use

ih8ih8sn0w likes this.
  19. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2015
    It's not about possibility anymore. It's about needs. You have good homebrews with included cia flavor working flawlessly in dumping saves. You have dedicated homebrews just for saves of a certain title. There's no need to provide such functionality in a9lh context, even if it's or not possible.

This is the main reason "CFW"s are going smaller in size. Right now the best "CFW"s available only provide original firmware patching and launching. Soon they will only provide launching (and perhaps untoggleable sig and emunand patches) as all of the functionaliy is better added afterwards.

TL;DR
    a9lh is not a place for running common homebrew. Think of it as bootMii for the wii, and how even if bootmii could be launched on system boot, you still went into the homebrew channel or installed a forwarder for any homebrew needs.

20. d0k3

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    A9LH has no access to any data on TWLN / TWLP or CTRNAND (that includes basically all the data you may be interested in). Enabling this access is not exactly trivial (see: GodMode9 source), and some stuff will never work as good as from other entrypoints (or will never work at all), cause we don't have access to Nintendo services / Wifi / a lot of other stuff. Think of it in this metaphor: When userland entrypoints (*hax, CIAs) is the main road, ARM9 entrypoints, especially A9LH, is a bumpy side road. The main road helps you get to all the main points of interest (ie, the stuff we are 'allowed' to see) quick and convenient, but you need to use the bumpy sideroad to get to certain destinations, and you have to accept you don't have the convenience of the main road there.

Seconding this. Users must also keep in mind that software on ARM9 has enough permissions to brick the console irrecoverably. I wouldn't want to have games and standard homebrew from there, with that kind of access. I also don't ever run ARM9 homebrew from devs I don't know / i don't trust on my 3DS.

3xkrazy, VegaRoXas and Favna like this.