What a disappointment...

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Skizzo, Jan 31, 2010.

Jan 31, 2010

What a disappointment... by Skizzo at 10:18 PM (1,341 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Skizzo
    OP

Banned Skizzo Banned

United States
    Another Fallout 3 rant...move on if you're not interested. [​IMG]

I recently got my first MS console, the COD MW2 LE Xbox 360. Along with that I've purchased a new copy of FO3 GOTY as well as some used games. I've spent most of the time playing FO3 and had over 300 hours into the same game before my (avoidable) nightmare started. And yes, it's the Shalebridge ant tunnel bug. Why in the hell wasn't this fixed in the GOTY edition? I can't believe this bug wasn't squashed to begin with during beta testing, as there's nothing unusual required to activate it and I'm sure every other OCD suffering individual triggered it too. [​IMG]

Anyways, after doing some reading I tried clearing the cache, with both the "hold A while booting the game" and from within the Dashboard's menu. Bad idea. Now I can't even load a single save game I have left because it's telling me some of the content won't be available if I load those saves, and if I try to continue anyways, it freezes on loading the save. FUCK! This console has never been connected to the internet, so what content are they talking about and is there any way to 'get it back'? Would deleting the game and reinstalling do anything to fix this (does deleting games also automatically delete saves, or are you given a choice)? Connecting to the internet?

I was planning on playing the game again anyways after getting a hardcopy of the Prima guide, but this still bugs the fucking shit out of me and I can't believe it doesn't get more prominent warnings, like on the sticky Essentials thread here? I hear Oblivion also suffers from some major bugs, even worse than FO3? WTF? Do I now have to spend hours on the net before even playing a fucking Xbox 360 game researching if it has bugs and how to avoid them, if even possible? Any other major titles besides the two mentioned that are suffering from major gameplay breaking issues?

Now some thoughts. I immediatley wished this was a MMO or at least had some sort of multiplayer in it and I guess there is a new FO MMO being worked on so that's good.

Given the surroundings of the game, I was often finding myself wishing they had included some sort of vehicles, even if perhaps only bicycles. Mountain biking anyone? LOL. They could even include a 'rock climbing/jumping' contest element to the game. Oh, when up on those satellite dishes and other high places, peering over the edge, I imagined having previously scavenged a sporting goods store or something and stumbled upon...parachutes! BASE jumping!

BOTTOM LINE: PLEASE PUT A WARNING IN THE RELEVANT STICKIES ABOUT PROMINENT GAME RUINING BUGS. [​IMG]

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I've yet to play either Oblivion or FO3, but connecting online even for only a minute when playing should make it download updates for those games. I would assume at least some of the bugs could be fixed that way, although obviously I don't know for sure. Worth a try?

3. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    that's probably exactly the problem. cleared the cache, and the dlc needs the updates to run.

4. Skizzo
    OP

Banned Skizzo Banned

United States
    What updates exactly? What content would ONLY be stored in the 'cache' that shouldn't still be available from the original install of the GOTY edition? Does clearing the cache do more than it sounds like it should? I did notice that after doing one of the methods, perhaps it was even the 'hold LB+RB+X while booting' method, that none of the stuff I'd placed around the house was there anymore, such as gnomes and books, so it does appear to do more than one would normally expect, or the term 'cache' isn't what I think of as 'cache', which is an EXTRA copy of information that is used frequently stored on a faster access device, not the ONLY copy of that information. Oh well, I'll be ordering the guide from Amazon soon and starting all over again, hopefully aware of all the problems now. Funny thing is right up until that point, I'd been saving a lot of games but I decided I really didn't need them as I was happy with my progress and had no regrets so far so I deleted them all. LOL. Live and learn.

5. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    It clears any game updates, not DLC, as well as the cache.
    If you were on live and booted any of the games you have had updates for in the past, you would be prompted again to download them as you have cleared the lot. The DLC will not work without the updates, and I guess your saves have cleared some DLC quests? Making them incompatible with the game without the updates needed from XBL, or the GOTY edition discs.

6. Skizzo
    OP

Banned Skizzo Banned

United States
    Ah, I see, thanks. Seems a dumb way of doing things but I guess there's a reason for it. IOW, the answer to "This console has never been connected to the internet, so what content are they talking about and is there any way to 'get it back'? Would deleting the game and reinstalling do anything to fix this (does deleting games also automatically delete saves, or are you given a choice)?" = YES. I went ahead and deleted the game and exp. packs only from within the System menu, leaving the saves, and reinstalled and I'm back where I was. Haven't tried the ant tunnel yet but I doubt it'll be fixed.

7. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    its something with bethesda games. i doubt they even have in-depth bug testers. they just release it to the community hoping the community will fix the problem and they do. problem is these fixes don't translate to the console versions.

8. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    You probably didn't need to delete the whole game, you could've just used the DLC disc again, it should have the needed update right on it.