Hacking what 4.2 is REALLY doing to my wii

recoomeboom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay I realize there are 700 different 4.2 threads and most people here think it is useless, which I understand. however, my younger sister wants to get on the wii shop channel, and I really don't want to use any type of updater or anything special besides an official update from the big N. the reason being that I rarely use any modded functions of the wii, and I want my sister to be able to get on any nintendo channel, update to her hearts content, and not have to worry about me doing voodoo (to her anyway) to get the channels running.

I have a US wii on firmware 4.1. I never installed cIOSCORP or anything like that. I don't remember exactly what IOS files I updated, but I know I used the trucha bug restorer and installed whatever I needed to to run backups from a usb storage device. also i'm pretty sure I installed bootmii (it's been a while... sorry)

so.... after this long winded introduction, I'm curious whether an official update to 4.2 would brick or in any way hinder my wii. I don't mind if it blocks HBC or stops backup loaders, whatever, but will it stop me from being able to play official games, get on the shop/nintendo channel ect.

also sorry to bother everyone with another 4.2 question, but I searched and browsed 11 pages back and couldn't find any questions asked from this perspective. thank you very much.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Updating to 4.2 through nintendo will allow her to use the wii shop channel and all original discs will play just fine.

Backup games and games from usb/sd will no longer work unless you re hack it again after the update.

If you want to re hack it after the update look for xzxero guide that is at the top of the board and follow the part for MODIFY 4.2

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It'll just virginise the wii probably delete the HBC and cIOS but should be safe won't stop you playing original games and the shop channel and other should work no bother

jazvdb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
recoomeboom said:
so.... after this long winded introduction, I'm curious whether an official update to 4.2 would brick or in any way hinder my wii. I don't mind if it blocks HBC or stops backup loaders, whatever, but will it stop me from being able to play official games, get on the shop/nintendo channel ect.

Unless you have a Homebrew Channel thats higher than 1.0.5 then the official update will delete it plus add a few stubbed IOS....

And no, it will not prevent you from doing anything official

recoomeboom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
icpmattj said:
Updating to 4.2 through nintendo will allow her to use the wii shop channel and all original discs will play just fine.

Backup games and games from usb/sd will no longer work unless you re hack it again after the update.

If you want to re hack it after the update look for xzxero guide that is at the top of the board and follow the part for MODIFY 4.2

ah perfect thank you so much! i used xzxero's guide (probably the best guide I have seen) to break into my wii quite a while back so i'm sure it'll still work if i ever need to again. you have a great community here at gbatemp, thanks a bunch! thank you all for your help!

MadClaw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
longtom1 said:
just update the shop channel and IOS61 with this

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiSCU

Thanks i've been looking for that!
cool.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum