What 3DS homebrew you'd like to see ?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by pachura, Sep 25, 2010.

Sep 25, 2010
  1. pachura
    OP

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Provided of course 3DS is hacked, I would love to see:

MoonShell 3DS. The original version was a fantastic multimedia player which handled almost every possible media format the hardware allowed it to. With additional processing power and memory, the proprietary DPG video format could be replaced with regular MPEG-4/DivX/XviD, running fullscreen @ 25 fps. It would be nice if standard 700 MB DVD-Rips could be played without any recompression... I doubt 3DS will have enough power to decode H.264/AVCHD videos, but that's OK as far as MPEG-4 is implemented.

Native email/messenger/RSS client. I know 3DS will have a built-in web browser, but using web clients with tons of AJAX and JavaScript (e.g. Gmail) will be far from comfortable. I would like to have a simple and instant client where I could quickly read/write emails, read RSS feeds and chat with friends on different communicators via Jabber interoperability.

Amiga emulator. PSPUAE manages to run some Amiga games at full speed. 3DS should have slightly more processing power, so why not port UAE there, too ? WolfChild FTW !

ScummVM 3DS. The DS version is almost perfect. However, most Scumm games originally ran at 320x200, and DS has only 256x192, so graphics can either be downscaled, or shown 1:1, but scrolled. With 3DS' 400x240, the problem should be resolved. Also, some memory-heavy games (like The Dig) will not cause any more trouble.

WiFi password sniffer. I would like to have tool which discovers nearby WiFi networks, and maybe even tries to hack into weakly-protected ones (WEP).

Remote desktop. I know there are some tools like that for DS, but they all suck. I would like to have an application which would allow me to remotely access and control my PC - display the desktop overview on the top screen, and 1:1 clickable crop on the bottom one. If it could connect to standard VNC or Windows Remote Desktop servers, it would be fantastic ! (I've seen a VNC client on a prehistoric Nokia 7650, so it should be possible on 3DS).

iRShell. As 3DS will have an infared port, it would be fun to program it as a universal remote, so you could operate all your TVs/DVD players etc. from your 3DS.

DosBox. No idea if it would be possible hardware-wise, but I would definitely like to play some DOS-era VGA + SoundBlaster games (Eye of Beholder, Prince of Persia).

Native FaceBook client.

What I think would be a waste of time:

- another drawing program
    - PDF/eBook reader (who the hell would like to read books on such a small screen ? Get Kindle with eye-friendly ePaper instead)

2. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    The 3DS probably wont get hacked, so imho there will be no 3DS homebrew.

3. scrtmstr

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    They said the same about the DSi, and it got hacked recently as well...
    It will probably take some time, and more hackers will be on the 3DS then on the DSi, because the hardware is worth the time.

OT: nice list, I would really like to see moonshell, it is my favourite homebrew by far.

4. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    ok... Just in case it get hack, what your answer?

My is a 3DS games display on computer [​IMG]

A cheat thing.

plug-ins [​IMG]

Silencer plug-ins like psp ( The one when psp is turn on it sure to make it silence when it does)

Universal romote? [​IMG]

5. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    They made DSi as a test of new firmware and security befor they wanted to make a 3DS [​IMG]

6. Warrior522

Member Warrior522 "In all things, balance."

United States
    Two words: N64 Emulator.

7. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Emulators of all kids, and maybe a version of Linux?

Edit: And a port of Anex or Next, for PC-98. Dunno if it would work, but mobile Touhou FTW

8. pachura
    OP

What for ? To SSH/Telnet/FTP somewhere ? I'm afraid noone would really use it... DSLinux isn't that popular, after all.

9. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    How bout android on the 3ds? jk [​IMG]

10. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    Emulators mostly for me - everything we have on the DS +

Super NES, GBA emulators similar to the Wii ones.

Working N64 emulator.

Virtual Boy emulator with 3d!

I also wonder if it would be possible to somehow do WiiWare. Most of the games aren't very complicated, so you wouldn't think there would be too much power needed. MM9+10, Toki Tori, World of Goo...

EDIT: Oh, and +1 to a decent Media player.

11. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    I think that I'll be pre-occupied with the 3DS Ware store. [​IMG]

12. LapisLazuli

Member LapisLazuli Thrills, chills, kills!

United States
    Read my mind.

13. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    If the rumors are true, and it is "more powerful than the Wii", than I would love to see an adaptation of many emulators on the Wii (PS1, SNES, N64, etc.)

14. LapisLazuli

Member LapisLazuli Thrills, chills, kills!

United States
    Oh, and I would also love a screen capture thing. And you could have your DS plugged into your computer, and with a flashcart or something you could play a DS game in DS/DSi mode (because screen capture might lag it if on 3DS mode..?) and you could basically just capture whats on the screen, like it would show up in a little player on your computer with a record play, pause, etc. buttons, just like an emulator or something. Something like this was done on the DS but it was really hard to do as there was no official way to connect it to the computer. There may or may not be a homebrew app like this for the PSP (I haven't checked it out) but it seems like an awesome idea, because you can't use your HD capture card(or PVR LOL those things are expensive!!) you're so proud of on your portable devices.

15. pachura
    OP

Heh, that's a good one [​IMG]

16. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    Really, I would like to see a proper M.A.M.E. emulator, since the Wii hasn't had one, and the arcade spectrum appeals more to me than the consoles. I have Snes, Genesis, and NES emulators on my Samsung Blackjack II phone (old by today's standards). I can play these games on almost any device, but MAME arcade games are limited to my PC. I want to play Simpsons arcade on a portable, forgive me.

17. Warrior522

Member Warrior522 "In all things, balance."

United States

YES. As well as PSP emmy, but there's very little chance of that...

18. tijntje_7

Member tijntje_7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    A 3D drawing program (draw on lower screen, show on upper screen, made in such a way that it will show 3D [​IMG])
    that allows for 3D printer output [​IMG]

19. pachura
    OP

Man, what are you smoking ? [​IMG]

20. Delta517

Member Delta517 Its okay...Im a ninja ;)

Norway
    A Virtual Boy Emulator would be awesome! [​IMG]