What 2tb hard drive would work on the Wii U?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Aglae Pheryl, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Aglae Pheryl
    OP

Aglae Pheryl GBAtemp Fan

Feb 25, 2014
    France
    hi,

I just had to return to Amazon a Toshiba Canvio Basics 2TB hard drive as it kept making a clicking sound and not being seen by the Wii U (though it did not make this clicking sound when connected to the PC (power from the USB cable).

What Amazon reference would you advise to use? One that's been tested and known to work for sure?

Thanks,

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    The problem is obviously insufficient power, use an Y cable and/or an external USB power brick

3. Aglae Pheryl
    OP

Aglae Pheryl GBAtemp Fan

Feb 25, 2014
    France
    Thanks, could you point to a know working Amazon reference for both of these ?

4. lafleche

lafleche GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2007
    Netherlands
    My Toshiba Canvio 2TB 3.5", USB 3.0 works great.
    It is an external powered model so no issues on the power thing.
    And i could leave my other also external powered hdd contected for the wii and gamecube games

5. Aglae Pheryl
    OP

Aglae Pheryl GBAtemp Fan

Feb 25, 2014
    France
    Thanks, never mind I actually tested an old 160 gb internal hard drive using a power adaptor and it works fine. I will just purchase a 2tb internal hard drive (or maybe 1 tb depending on the price difference).
    I figured it'd be nicer to have an external 'cased' hard drive but what the heck, the kids almost don't play the darn thing anymore now that they have the Switch...
    Thanks

6. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    Just get whatever HDD you want and the Y-cable. The Wii and Wii U are notorious for not providing enough power on the USB ports. Pretty much everyone who uses USB HDD's on Wii U uses a Y-cable to avoid the issue.