What’s In A Name?

Wait! Fear not! I am not going to bore you with a literature piece but I’m about to discuss about naming relating to video games.

Whats-In-A-Name.png

Rather than delving into the deceptively hard process of naming a video game, I’m more interested in knowing how you call your console/video game. Well, I don’t mean to say that you converse with your console or game, which is actually okay if you do, but what I really mean is how you call consoles/video games when they're mentioned in a conversation. What piqued my interest concerning this curious nomenclature case has to do with what I recently experienced.

speech-bubble-dots-outline-128.png

A friend of mine would always mention his favorite childhood console as "Atari" and as hard as I tried, I could never know which Atari he was actually talking about. He couldn’t identify any of the Atari consoles in pictures that I would show him, nor could he find his childhood console in a retro video game shop we visited. I tried to explain that maybe he was mistaken about the console name but being as obstinate as always, he maintained what he said. He would further add that his favorite game was Aladdin and went on talking about how he lost his copy. So I dismissed this story as another one of his numerous elaborate fiction...

Later, another friend who’s from the same country as my “Atari-friend” came over for a visit and was looking into retro video games. When I showed her Super Mario Bros. she started talking about how she would be playing this for hours on on her Atari. Yes. That’s what she said. Atari. Well, unless any Atari could emulate the NES, there was something terribly wrong here...

retro-question-block.png

After an inquisition with those two “Atari" owners, I figured that what they owned in their childhood was actually an NES, or more likely a clone since my friend broke several of his. And, for some obscure reason, they would all call it as an Atari. But I was not so surprised. In fact, I could relate! Back in my childhood, we had similar clones which we would call Family Game and that was the term we would use when talking about consoles/video games until we got old enough to differentiate Nintendo from Sega. Others would even generalize everything as a Nintendo.

Exclamation-point-300x180.jpg

I don’t know if you can relate to a similar story but I would be very much interested to hear about it if you do! So how did/do you call your consoles/video games, or anything else really, other than by its original name? There’s no convention for that and that’s what makes it all the more interesting!

You might have come across the above quote while adventuring into one of your literature class but it’s somewhat relevant here. No matter how you call consoles/video games, they are what they are. Giving them nicknames shows our affection to the medium, how much it matters to us. They never cease to amaze us.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Early 80's everyone played Atari, late 80's everyone played Nintendo.

2600 was near ubiquitous and 5200 was such a flop that there wasn't much need to call it anything but Atari unless you specifically needed to talk about the 5200 (aka never). If you meant the 400/800, you'd tend to just call it "the computer", because who had more than one computer?

And of course NES was the only Nintendo console system at the time, so there was literally no reason to call it anything else until the Super Nintendo came out.

Yes there were Intellivisions and Colecovisions and Master Systems, but dominant systems gonna dominate, so Atari and Nintendo are the ones that got named by anyone who didn't know one system from another.

Reactions: Prans

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
When I was like 5, my brother and I would always say Atari too, what we meant was this:

300px-Atari800.jpg

Atari 800 XL with tape deck & 5.25" floppy drive.
Ah! At least yours was relevant!

I recently noticed a friend of mine mention the 3DS as the GameBoy 3DS, and another said she played Super Mario Bros. on the Playstation... :unsure:

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Just about everyone everywhere calls the Playstation 2/3/4 Playstation, the XBox 360/One XBox, a lot of people call Gameboy Colors/Gameboy Advanceds/Gameboy Advance SPs/Gameboy Mircos/Nintendo DSes/Nintendo DS Lites/Nintendo DSi XLs/Nintendo 3DS/Nintendo 3DS XLs/Nintendo New 3DS/Nintendo New 3DS XLs Gameboys, and a lot of people call the Nintendo Entertainment System/Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom/Super Famicom/Nintendo 64/Nintendo Gamecube/Wii/Wii U Nintendo. :-/ So, yeah; this happens a lot.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've always called my consoles by their actual name until they started throwing numbers out there. Since then all Playstations are simply a Playstation and all Xboxs are simply an Xbox. That random girl you're trying to impress doesn't even care about the difference. Trust me.

Reactions: Prans and Seriel

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I've always called my consoles by their actual name until they started throwing numbers out there. Since then all Playstations are simply a Playstation and all Xboxs are simply an Xbox. That random girl you're trying to impress doesn't even care about the difference. Trust me.
Parents are even better. Your first console's brand name becomes the name of all subsequent consoles. If my Dad were still around I could guarantee he would call my PS4, "The Nintendo". lol

Reactions: Prans and Depravo

ShadowNeko003

~Nyah~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing interesting for me. All my family and friends knew what system was what (minus the parentals).

I'm looking forward to seeing what Microsoft decides to name their next Xbox.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm old so I still call any Nintendo hand-held, "gameboy", even though they dropped that moniker back when the DS came out.

I also still call the first PlayStation the PSX, because that's how the press referred to it. Here in the states anyway.

Oh! Also, the NES is the "regular Nintendo".

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Parents are even better. Your first console's brand name becomes the name of all subsequent consoles. If my Dad were still around I could guarantee he would call my PS4, "The Nintendo". lol
Haha! That's true! But it can become sort of a trouble to explain that you want another console... "Don't you already have a Nintendo?"

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
I'm curious about how it sounded when you wanted to call your friends over for a round of SSB... "Hey, let's Smash after class?" Sounds cool... or nasty?

back in the day , while on my megadrive , i found it weird that americans would call it a genesis , i never understood this until i was older lol...

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I'm talking to someone over 30, i just call my 3DS a "gameboy" for my sanity and theirs.

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Here in Brazil ( almost ) everyone refers to the SNES as the Nintendo, and they have no idea that there was a console before the SNES ( because Atari and Sega were the ones dominating on the 3rd gen here, and Sega was also as big if not bigger than Nintendo on the 4th gen ).

And then when the Playstation came out, the more casual ones started calling everything a Playstation. My mom did this mistake and me and my dad would always get pissed at her xD She learned to differ beetwen my consoles finally, except for my DS and 3DS which she still thinks are the same.

Also, I've seen a lot of people hating everything that has Nintendo on it's name here, in my province at least Sony is the one who dominates with Microsoft also having a huge part, so a lot of people are brainwashed into thinking that Nintendo is dead and only makes childish games that sell nothing, it's very hard to find Nintendo fans and stores that sell Nintendo stuff ( I only know of one in a radius of 100km, but at least stuff are cheap there ), so I have to buy most stuff online which end up being stupidly expensive.

Last edited by Pacheko17,

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Aaah, the memories just flooded me. My first gaming experience was with a Chinese bootleg of the Famicom, when I was in preschool. I remember being hella excited, discovering secrets in Super Mario Bros. and stuff like that... but there's a catch. For some reason, EVERYONE in my town called that Famicom bootleg "Sega", so yeah, I grew up calling a bootleg of a Nintendo console, "Sega". I still have my very first "Sega" at my grandma's place in Croatia, together with over 30 bootleg-y yellow wannabe Famicom cartridges. Holy crap the memories. And yeah, I'm saying it's a Famicom bootleg simply because all of the cartridges looked like the smaller Famicom ones, rather than the huge NES ones, and most of the games were in Japanese.

To this day, I still can't wait for the summer every year, when I usually go to my grandma's place, with my "Sega" still waiting for me in the attic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.