Gaming Western Digital HDD's

atak93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need help on choosing an external HDD. From Western Digital there is the My Book which is a larger drive which uses a power outlet and the My Passport drives which simply use a USB cable to the PC. I bought the My Book 1TB but i have also read reviews that say they crash and fail more frequently. i dont know if i should exchange this for a My Passport 320GB HDD. I dont want to have the 1TB and then watch it fail in a few months, if it does fail. The only thing i am considering is the reliability, should i exchange or stick with the 1TB. I will never fill up 1TB and the power outlet doesn't bother me at all. I dont plan on moving it around. If the Passport drives fail as often as the My books, i rather stick with the my book. I checked many sites with customer reviews but each gives different ratings. Some customers say its perfect some say it failed in however many days/weeks/ months. HDD's fail, but these seem to more than others.

People with either drive give me your advice please.
If you can provide personal experience feedback or a site with consistent customer reviews it would be great.
So should i get the My Book 1TB or the My Passport 320GB?

Doc.X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have My Passport Essentials 400GB HDD for about 3 months now and it works flawlessly . I have it hooked up for 2 partitions one for my wii and one for personal storage and i havent had a problem to date .

If your looking for something reliable , and that you can easily store , go with My passport

Also it doesnt even heat up so you dont have to worry about keeping it kool.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a 500GB My Passport USB Powered drive off Ebay for $120 shipped. Jokes on me, though, since I just found one for $106 Shippedhttp://cgi.ebay.com/Western-Digital...c0.m299&_trkparms=240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50http://cgi.ebay.com/Western-Digital...c0.m299&_trkparms=240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50. Bottom line is, 500GB is the biggest size you can have USB Powered without need for an A/C Adapter, if you're obsessed with portability like I am and Ebay has some nice deals on these behbehs.
wink.gif

dark42

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
[M said:
artin]
I bought a 500GB My Passport USB Powered drive off Ebay for $120 shipped. Jokes on me, though, since I just found one for $106 Shipped. Bottom line is, 500GB is the biggest size you can have USB Powered without need for an A/C Adapter, if you're obsessed with portability like I am and Ebay has some nice deals on these behbehs.
wink.gif

That's because USB powered drives tend to contain 2.5" laptop HDDs inside, and there aren't any laptop HDDs over 500GB yet. It has nothing to do with AC adapters.

OP, have you thought about building an external harddrive? All you need is a regular internal drive and an enclosure that use the same internal interface. You can get all sorts of enclosures with many different features like Firewire, Ethernet, eSATA, several USB ports, and any combination of those. You could probably build a drive for cheaper than you can buy pre-built. Look on newegg.com for parts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?