Hacking Western Digital Harddrive

RedFire128

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to get this piece of crap to work with the HBC. I'm running into a problem though. I can only format it to either NTFS or exFAT, but it needs to be FAT32 to work with the HBC. Can anbody here explain to me how to make a FAT32 partition ?

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Run a Command Prompt as administrator, and enter "format /FS:fat32 X:", the X being the drive letter. If that doesn't work (or if I got the command wrong, in which case I apologize), then there's a program called Swiss Army Knife that should let you format. Good luck, hope you get it working. I just had to format my new HDD myself earlier, but I did it in a drastically different way, and it took forever. Formatting it to fat32 should be a lot easier than wiping and recreating it, then formatting to WBFS was for me.

Fahrenheit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would think that the Command Prompt is the best way, Be prepared tough it does it the long way and not the quick way so your looking at long time to do. I think the long way is better tough.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Fahrenheit said:
I would think that the Command Prompt is the best way, Be prepared tough it does it the long way and not the quick way so your looking at long time to do. I think the long way is better tough.

It does it the quick way if you include the quick format switch when typing in the command.

Command prompt will only work on certain size hard drives anyway. Some limitation Microsoft put in. You're better off using a 3rd party program to do it like another person posted.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Edhel said:
Fahrenheit said:

It does it the quick way if you include the quick format switch when typing in the command.

Command prompt will only work on certain size hard drives anyway. Some limitation Microsoft put in. You're better off using a 3rd party program to do it like another person posted.

You are right. Command prompt and other tools included in windows os can only make fat32 partition of 32GB. You want bigger, you need a special application like the ones mentionned above.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    The craze must've had died down by then.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I'm much more on the killing floor :x
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Imagine that every Pokemon game is the exact same but with slight tweaks.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha