Western Digital Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Admiral_Ackbar6, Dec 24, 2009.

Dec 24, 2009
  1. Admiral_Ackbar6
    OP

Newcomer Admiral_Ackbar6 Member

Japan
    Hey guys,
    I recently bought a Wii, and was interested in modding, so I decided to try to use one of my old western digital hard drives (http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=101&lang=en) to rip some of my games onto. I shrunk my 250 gig NTFS partition and added a small WBFS partition. I installed a forwarder for configurable USB loader, out it on an SD card, and then ripped about 5 of my games (WIi Sport, NSMB Wii, Galaxy, No More Heroes). Everything worked fine, I was able to rip and play games no problem.

I decided that I wanted to buy a new hard drive to just store games and homebrew on, and one without a power adapter so its easy to take around (I made a little side attachment to clip onto my Wii). However, no matter what I do, I cant seem to get this new drive, a 320 Western Digital Elements portable (http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=303&lang=en) to work. I used a 28 gig Fat 32 partition as my primary to store homebrew and other wads on, with the rest being a WBFS partition. The loader see the partition, but I cannot rip games to it. I get a "error! (ret = -2)" whenever I try to install game. I then tried to copy the files from one drive to another using WBFS manager 3.0 It completed successfully, and I can see the images of the games when I start the loader, but whenever I try to play them, I just get a black screen and have to hold down my Wii powewr button.

Any hints? The old external still works fine, the new one doesnt with the exact same configuration.

Thanks.

2. drizzt007

Member drizzt007 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    did you check the compatability list ?

maybe its just not compatable.

actually , I just checked the list and the drive you mentioned is listed as working.

3. julz1

Member julz1 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    A bit off topic but i work a computer store and the cheapest hard drives we have are western digital, there are tons of problems with them and even more complaints about them

if i was you i would try get my money back

4. djbubba2002

Member djbubba2002 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Haiti
    i got two WD my books 1TB for the WiiFlow ,,, they are fill up.. they work fine for me ...

5. jstevenson72

Newcomer jstevenson72 Advanced Member

United States
    The question is, how is your Wii modded?

I had the best success with all types of USB hard drives, when I run from Hermes cIOS 222 v4.

I recommend using 222 with your USB Loader and see if that does the trick.

Jake

6. hdhacker

Member hdhacker GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Are ALL your partitions PRIMARY?

7. Dark Blade

Member Dark Blade Flippin' Insane

United Kingdom
    Maybe you should try for a refund...check your warranty too.

8. Admiral_Ackbar6
    OP

Newcomer Admiral_Ackbar6 Member

Japan
    Thanks for the responses. I usually use WDC or Seagate drives, and this one was listed as compatible and on sale, so I grabbed it.

I used the simplistic guide (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901) to first update and then bannerbomb to softmod. Then I installed and updated to the newest version of Configurable USB loader using WAD manager and the built in updater.

As far as drive format, I have tried primary fat32, extended WBFS, primary fat32 and primary WBFS, and only primary WBFS. Its odd since I can see all the games and such when I copy them from the old drive, but they just freeze even if the settings are identical between the old working drive and the new non working drive.

I have also tried running Congiurable USB loader from both the FAT partition or a SD card, both have the same result.

I guess I will go ahead and try to exchange the drive for a new one of the same kind (they were on sale for fairly cheap) and hopefully that will fix the issue.

Thanks.