Hardware Well, seven years later she's dead.

mesenkomaha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My wife (girlfriend at the time) purchased me a fatty 40gb ps3 in May of 2007. I put a ton of hours on the machine back then. Epic sessions of The Orange Box, Oblivion, Street Fighter 4, COD, and lots of Netflix. There are probably four to five thousand hours of run time on that system. The past two or three years though my ps3 gaming has slowed down considerably since I'm married and have two young boys that aren't of real gaming age yet. The gaming that I had done with the ps3 as of late was mini session of some COD just to relax after a long day or maybe a few holes of Hot Shots Golf with my two year old.

I could tell the system was starting to slow down. It was experiencing random freezes and graphical slowdowns for the first time a few months ago. Last week I was playing some psn game and it just turned off. Red blinking light. Well fine I did all of the research and figured it was in need a reflow. At this point in the system's life and understanding that my family and I really did get great value out of the machine I wasn't really willing to invest too much time or money into a fix. If it's broken, then it's broken. Long story short I put the motherboard in the oven.

After cooking the MB at 425 for 10 minutes I was able to fire up the unit and back up my stuff and get a disc out of the drive. I fired up a game, was playing normally, then was hit with rainbow colors and a system shutdown. Then the YLOD came up. At this point I shelved my dear PS3 and am ready to move on.

I went searching online and to the local walmart looking for what is being offered now. In store the only thing I found was a 500gb super slim Lego Hobbit bundle for 270. I'd sure as hell never play any Lego game so I passed on that. After doing some thinking I wonder what my best option is. Seeing as how I didn't really play my ps3 all that much, my softmodded wii is much more accessible and family friendly, is it even worth replacing at this point in the PS3 life cycle?

Any opinions for a (sadly) casual family gamer today? I miss my ps3 but I can live without it. Almost 300 bucks for a system that would be used maybe 10 hours a week doesn't really make that much sense especially with a crappy bundle. I'm considering a PS4 bundle for the holiday season. The Destiny bundle seems interesting but at the same time I'm kind of wading into uncharted waters here. I haven't played an AAA game since Metal Gear Solid 4 (if that is considered one). I have no idea what next-gen or even post 2008 gaming is like and if it would be a good fit for me.

Well thanks for taking a read I appreciate any and all feedback. Take care!

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check your local used stores, if any. Super slim ps3 12gb models regularly go for 100 around here used (complete in box, even)...just put a new HDD in and you're fine.

Gamestop usually has some bundle deals for under 200, if not lower.

As for whether or not it's worth replacing, that's ultimately up to you. I'd say yes, if only for Blu-ray movies and some streaming content not available on the Wii, plus slightly better home streaming abilities. (Even with my softmodded Wii, the PS3 and Xbox360 regularly do better with streaming from my network drives.)

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am the only one when read "my wife" started to thing his wife died?

I started to think the same thing, thankfully it was only a game system... I mean yeah sometimes I think to myself "That bitch!!!" but most of the time I would rather have my wife than any game system :)

Hmmmm at the OP, casual gamer, to be honest I kind of find myself in the same situation. Just change out 2 kids who are too young to really game and insert 1 grandson who is about 3 years old.

What I get way more use out of than my hacked PS3 is my hacked Wii, I have a 16GB SD card loaded with emulators and 16 bit games perfect for a quick 15 minute game session (Much less time consuming than a large open world RPG) and a 500GB external hard drive loaded with a lot games, all kinds of games... (everything I own is on it, this keeps the originals safe from 3 year old playing flying disks!) I have all the Sesame Street games... and a bunch of other learning games. The local Big Lots has them fairly often for 5-10 bucks a pop.

Of course Netflix on the PS3 is more fun that Netflix on the Wii, the PS3 is the only system I know that has that game built into the Netflix :( (It's fun if you have never tried it, most of the time the movies it recommends are pure shit but meh it's still fun lol)

Not saying the Wii is better than the PS3 by any means (well maybe in 1 or 2 things it is.) , it just seems to have a better fit for non epic gaming sessions.

Check your local used stores, if any. Super slim ps3 12gb models regularly go for 100 around here used (complete in box, even)...just put a new HDD in and you're fine.

Gamestop usually has some bundle deals for under 200, if not lower.

As for whether or not it's worth replacing, that's ultimately up to you. I'd say yes, if only for Blu-ray movies and some streaming content not available on the Wii, plus slightly better home streaming abilities. (Even with my softmodded Wii, the PS3 and Xbox360 regularly do better with streaming from my network drives.)

I have to agree with that, streaming on the PS3 is fantastic. Even better if you can disable Cinavia protection, but you have to have it hacked to do that one. Then of course you would be running Showtime.... (Now if I could just figure out why my PS3 keeps dropping it's connection all the time.... uugghh so annoying and for some odd reason Sony never released a USB wifi adapter...)

Reactions: fossda

3DSXLGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have to say, your taking the loss of your console better then I ever would. If it is worth getting another is really up to you, personally I would look for a PS3 on classifieds, I just picked up a slim 250gb matte 360 for $100 and another friend picked up the newest slim for $100 with 4 games. People are offloading to get the Xbox one and PS4 so deals are to be had.

When I buy games and consoles, I don't buy games to resell but to keep so if my PS3 died I would get another just for the sake off playing the games on something even if I won't touch it for a long while. I still regret my mom selling my NES with all my games for only $100 just because I didn't touch it in 3 months. :/

The other option: to reinvest to a new console, WiiU/PS4/Xbone. I would say to wait for it to develop more, and then decide when the console you want has enough games you want if you aren't certain yet. Destiny can be played on the PS3 so If you got it for the $100, you could wait out on sales for the PS4 and such if it still peaks your interest then. I bought the Wii-U on launch day and didn't buy anything for it in the first two years. ( wanted games at the end of the second but had no money ) and it's finally built up to where I feel it's worth it so don't feel pressured to buy now as all the systems are building up.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
My PS3 60GB still works wonderfully though before I used it a lot I don't use it very often any more since for YouTube it's Xbox 360 (the best UI for YT as well as organisation) and gaming on the Wii U.

mesenkomaha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you guys for the replies and kind words. I appreciate the feedback.

I think ill stick it out with my wii for now. Hell I have enough games and stuff on there to last a lifetime. My eyes will be looking out for one of those super slims though!

Is there any reason to fear buying one of those used?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Thank you guys for the replies and kind words. I appreciate the feedback.

I think ill stick it out with my wii for now. Hell I have enough games and stuff on there to last a lifetime. My eyes will be looking out for one of those super slims though!

Is there any reason to fear buying one of those used?

less fear than a portable console. you dont have to worry about a dead battery, neither a scratched screen,

you need to worry about 3 things: the hdd the controllers and the laser..

hdd and the controllers are simple to replace, just buy new and done. but a laser is hard..., make sure the used console can play discs with no problem...

also, long life to your wife.:grog:

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉