Well, I could hold out no longer...

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by GeekyGuy, Oct 22, 2007.

Oct 22, 2007
  1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I really wanted to hold out for the English version, because I had been anticipating playing this game for so long. But the wait for DQM: Joker, as well as withdrawals from the awesomeness of Phantom Hourglass, made me cave. So, I started playing Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (quite a mouthful).

As expected, the production values are amazing! With Square Enix it never seems to be so much a matter of how many polygons are used, but more a matter of polish; they rarely leave any rough edges, and Ring of Fates is true to that form.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The game itself is kind of on the easy side, so far. I'm on the fourth boss battle (I believe it is) -- some magician dude -- and it's the first boss that's really offering any resistance. The creeps / monsters, too, are pretty much push-overs. I guess I'd say Ring of Fates is much like Children of Mana in most respects, but the presentation is far better. I can't understand a lick of Japanese, but I'm getting so much from the story and characters. The expressions and the way the cutscenes are done seem to tell the story well enough, and it's very interesting so far.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I also dig the fact that whenever you change your armor, you character's appearance changes. That's a nice touch. Weapons, too, look different.

So far...easy, but fun. For the most part, though, most of the enjoyment for me is certainly coming from the overall look and feel of the game.

Anyone else tinker with Ring of Fates yet? What did you think?

2. NiGHtS

Member NiGHtS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    So what, it's Monster Hunter Freedom with a storyline?

3. Hero-Link

Member Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal
    i sooo want to play this... but i want to understand the story, so i'm kinda stuck while the english version doesnt get released, anyone knows the dates for the game?

4. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    VERY nice game indeed.
    one of my early reasons to get DS.
    i LOVED the fact oF real time fights, over turn based.

5. xSmileCrushx

Newcomer xSmileCrushx Member

United States
    I finished the entire game a few weeks ago and I have to say... It was pretty damn good.

The graphics were smooth and enriching, while the gameplay itself could be compared to Kingdom Hearts. Although later on the monsters get more and more annoying, especially the dark ones. The dark ones require you to cast the cure, revive, or mana-giving magicite in order to reveal them first before hacking away at your 'A' button. Otherwise you'll deal extremely small damage towards them..

6. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Interesting. I like the magicites -- it's a cool way to mix up a magic system.

I am curious, however. I've been finding tons of scrolls and sacks after defeating monsters. What are those used for and how do I use them?

Thanks

7. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I played a bit of it and enjoyed it a lot.

8. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    Yep, I played it through some time ago too, and did think that it really has a bit Kh style (even the part where you get to a new level and the name is shown looks similar), the only thing that annoyed me were the sometimes really stupids friends of yourself.
    The overall presentation was incredible ! I even think about playing it again cause new stuff will be unlockable in the 2nd run.com

9. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    I actually managed to finish it! An RPG... in Japanese!

Pretty good!

I heard FFIVDS will also use voice actors for the cutscenes.

10. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Well, I just got the little chick in my party, and she's a real treat to play. I was really diggin' the archer dude's double jump -- making my way across those platforms was a ton of fun. But the little chubby chick is really cool to play as too. I like not only her rolling technique thing, but also the way they intergrated the use of the touch screen to let her create magicites on the fly. Very cool.

Still don't know what those scrolls and sacks are for, though. Been getting tons of them throughout the game, but not sure what they're for. [​IMG]

11. xSmileCrushx

Newcomer xSmileCrushx Member

United States
    The sacks/scrolls are like, materials. If you bring them to one of the vendors involved with those sacks/scrolls, you can exchange them for some nifty better-than-your-average-weapon store bought-equipment equipment.