Gaming Weirdest game you've ever played?

zephyrum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agree with Incredible Crisis. Also Rez and Psychonauts. If you haven't played Psychonauts, you're missing out on something amazing.

Porygonal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol,I often wonder,''whats with these people that make these games...?Were they on drugs when they were making them or something?'' And here I was thinking that only Japan had games that were really weird... WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!It's the SUPER HAPPY FUNTIME GAME!

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario Bros. 3

While being one of the best, it was also one of the weirdest. I was only like 3 when I played it and I had no fucking clue what was happening.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
missfabb said:
freshly-picked tingle's rosey rupeeland is pretty strange .

That's just because you can't accept that a carpenter would wear spandex and hump the air when he successfully builds a bridge. Or that any amount of money would be enough to convince someone to hang out with Tingle.

Meanwhile, I'll repeat my answer from the very similar thread in the other consoles forum.
You see, back in the day (that would be the 1980's that I'm referring to, for the record) we didn't normally have things like the internet or even usually computers to check out the viability of a game. We had Nintendo Power, and we had the box to the game. And if you were lucky, a friend who already had the game.
Anyways, I would every once and a while buy a new Nintendo game. And I was (and always will be) as big a fan of horror as of video games. Imagine my 10 year old impressionable mind walking into a supermarket, and seeing a game that had Dracula and Gillman on the cover, hanging out with several other unidentifiable, lovecraftian beasties. And it was called "Monster Party". Oh, this game had to be awesome!.

I was in no way prepared for what I was in for. The opening has a typical Japanese kid walking home in his short-shorts from little league. A big purple bird-man in armor appears like a scary predator (the Dateline kind) and whisks him away to fight bad guys on his far off planet. This is done through playing the platformer as the kid with just his small wiffleball bat swinging at such miscreants as electrified schoolboys and butts sticking out of the ground, while the platforms laugh at you. Occasionally you'll find pills to pop that transform you into the bird, who can fly and shoot motherfunking lasers from his eyes. Also, you have to go into random doors on the levels to fight bosses. Fight all of them, and you get the key to the next level. The first boss starts out as a bleeding onion ring that hops around after you while in the background the teleporter from the 80's version of "The Fly" sits for no apparent reason. As the battle drags on, the "monster" morphs into the whole TGIFridays appetizer sampler. The second boss you encounter apologizes, as it's already dead. Complete with a fly buzzing around the room.

The game only continues to get stranger as it goes. To the point you realize that the game is deliberately trying to eff with you.

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I love Monster Party, don't say it's weird!

When I was little and played that, I thought it was perfectly normal for a kid to be taken by birdman to an alien dimension and fight off crazy creatures.

azure0wind

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
PATAPON....
it's weird i think... (because you attack your enemies with rhytm LOL
tongue.gif
)

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Inunah said:
I love Monster Party, don't say it's weird!

When I was little and played that, I thought it was perfectly normal for a kid to be taken by birdman to an alien dimension and fight off crazy creatures.

Did I say it was a bad game? Outside of the maze level, it's actually a nicely made platformer. It's just deliberately designed to be strange, and to eff with your brain. I'm not sure at which point I realized that. The dancing zombies perhaps? (who hurt you if you attack them, and if you just leave them alone and watch their dance eventually die on their own), or maybe the level where it took two bosses to get the key, but if you fought a third boss it took the key away and you were stuck in the level? Or ooh, how about how the last level has you suddenly have to go backwards from the start point to find one of the bosses--something that doesn't happen in any other level...

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Toilet Kids has to be the weirdest game I've ever played. I did however come across it in a thread much like this one on another forum, so I never got that "WTF?! feeling" when I tried it, the weirdness was expected from the beginning :>

Psychonauts for the original xbox is pretty weird too. And it's actually a very good game aswell, if you got an xbox you should really not miss out on this one
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1