ChaosTheorySD

OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So I have a Wii with a broken DVD drive. I wanted to hack it and just run USB loaders, but someone decided it would be a good idea to upgrade it to 4.3. Since Smash Stack and Indy Pwns both require discs, I'm kinda SOL on that front.

Anyway, the Wii still booted up fine and everything but I decided to open it up and see what was going on in there. Disassembled it to the point of removing the DVD drive, but it didn't look like I was going to be able to do anything after all so I closed everything back up. Wii still turns on, but when I try to launch a channel one of two things will happen: 1) the screen will go black and the controller shuts off, requiring a hard reset or 2) I will get that "An error has occurred. Press the Eject Button, remove the Game Disc..." etc screen.

But now, here's the really weird thing. For shits and giggles, I tried booting without the DVD drive connected at all. Surprisingly, it actually works. I can launch the channels just fine, but it will eventually crash after a few minutes and I'm back at that "An error has occurred." screen.

Any ideas what's going on here?

x_r3ap3r_x

Trophies
XP
There are 2 cables that connect to the Disc drive to the motherboard, one being the white one which is power and the ribbon cable. the wii will run fine with out the power one but ill only run for a while if the ribbon cable is unplugged. try looking at the ribbon cable is securely connect to both the mother board and disc drive. Thats what it sounds like your problem is.

x_r3ap3r_x

Trophies
XP
With the ribbon cable that plugs into the disc drive board you should open the broen flap and slide the ribbon cable in. It wont go in too far but you should only see about 1mm of black on the ribbon cable flap in closed. the same goes for the motherboard side but only about 1mm of black should be seen. Also make sure the ribbon cable connected to the disc sensor ( on top of disc drive ) in plugged in properly as i have seen strange effects when not in properly. ( disc errors, ejecting and sucking discs in randomly ) Also i another note make sure nothing is shorting out. eg. the white wires connected to the disc drive and rub against the shielding exposing the wires and shorting out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16