Weird Slowdowns during emulation... Could my SD card be the cause?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by xwatchmanx, Jul 1, 2012.

1. xwatchmanx
    OP

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    So, I softmodded my Wii using the letterbomb method when I got it a couple months ago, installed the homebrew channel, and put a few emulators on it, including FCE Ultra GX for NES and Snes9x GX for SNES. However, I've noticed something a bit odd... when playing NES and SNES games, heavy slowdowns tend to occur in various parts, especially when "too much" seems to be going on in the screen. For example, when playing Super Mario Bros. for NES, sometimes a scenario will occur where there are like 5 enemies on the screen at once, and the game will experience a massive slowdown until at least a few enemies leave the screen.

Normally I would dismiss this as typical side effects of an imperfect emulator, except when running the same emulators on my old android phone (with only an 800 mhz processor), I experienced no such issues with NES or SNES games, so it's hard for me to imagine such issues would exist on hardware more powerful, like the Wii.

Which leads to my question: The SDHC card I'm using is 16 gb, class 4 speed. Is it possible that I'm experiencing these issues because my SD card is too slow? Would upgrading to a class 10 eliminate the issue? Or is this just a side effect of the emulator itself? Any answers are appreciated!

Note: I have made sure I have the latest versions of the emulators installed. I have also not played any of my other emulators (Genesis, PSX, N64) enough to really see whether they have similar issues.

2. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    i don't think the sd card is your cause for concern here, to my knowledge most emu's on the wii load the games into the ram. are you using any of the fliters on the emus? i have known from experience that they can slow down some games

3. xwatchmanx
    OP

United States
    I haven't changed any of the default settings, if that's what you mean.

4. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    think it is just honest slowdown you are experiencing then mate, its been a while since i booted up any of the emulators but i dont recall slowdown being that much of a pain

5. xwatchmanx
    OP

United States
    That's a shame. Oh well, I'm trying to start up a collection of ACTUAL games and consoles soon, anyway. Thanks for your help.